Las palomas owners story

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
This isn't a rumor.This is an owners story about her Condo purchase.She could have told it better but It would make you think about doing business with these guys.My question is it going to be illegal to talk about stories like this on the forum?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UAPUVwyXmA
Why would it be illegal? People have a right to know. The only time we get upset is when a thread goes completely off-topic, the name calling begins, or you guys continue to beat a dead horse until it's not even fit to be Alpo.

playaperro

El Pirata
.World Wide Group

Their claim to fame is that they sold "1000 condos on 1000 days". Yeah
they were going to be some problems.

Roberto

She starts off " You used to only need a handshake, but now you need to get a contract" Sorry, you always needed a contract. She does not say she lost any money yet. Sounds like the builder did not delivr on time and she wants out and should be allowed to get out with a refund if tere is a contract. Again, I would not put one peso down on an unbuilt project. The lure is always " you get developer's discount and in exchange for that possible benefit you take on risk. Sorry.

Kenny

:-o
Why would it be illegal? People have a right to know. The only time we get upset is when a thread goes completely off-topic, the name calling begins, or you guys continue to beat a dead horse until it's not even fit to be Alpo.
I found that video a few day's ago and sent it to a few friends on this forum at that time. Maybe because of the climate on the forum it wasn't posted until today, or?... Maybe it wasn't posted until Jerry saw it in my email to him, today? :-D Maybe even some didn't want it posted?:-o

Last edited:

jerry

Stewart if nobody beat dead horses carne seca wouldn't have been invented

Kenny

like it was a rare find; it is.

Stewart if nobody beat dead horses carne seca wouldn't have been invented
That reminds me Jerry, I finally finished "Insurgent Mexico" by John Reed, What a great book. I savored it, and was portioning it out like it was a rare find; it is.

Thank you so much for lending it to me.

Kenny

jerry

Kenny don't you think that book gives you a feel for why the drug war is unwinnable. The people of Northern mexico are flat out hard cases when they need to be.

We did not discover from this video if the woman actually lost any money to the developer, and though she expected delivery on a certain date and that wasn't met, isn't Las Palomas now finished? In which case one can assume she did eventually get her condo. I can sympathize with her, but the use of force majeure in circumstances like hers (and purchasers at Los Corales, where the developer is using the same excuse) is certainly not limited to Mexico and it isn't fair to advise people against doing any kind of business in Mexico because of her experience with Las Palomas.

If you google "force majeure usa real estate" you'll learn that developers all over the USA are trying to use that clause (a very standard clause in contracts, by the way) to get out of the mess they're in. Just as one good example, and with an explanation of what it means under the law, take a look at this article in Realty Times: Housing Counsel: Force Majeure -- Developer's Excuse "De Jeure"

I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone/developer/real estate company/etc., but you take risks anywhere when you buy preconstruction. Often it works out great; sometimes, well, not so much. There's been a lot of swampland sold in the USA over the years, and in fact it's still being sold today. Just sayin'...

clayb

As an owner in Las Palomas, Phase one, I beleive the woman on the video must be referring to Phase 3, which is not finished. Phase one, and two, are done. Phase three is pretty slow going.

Ah, that makes things clearer, and if that's the case then I don't blame her a bit for being seriously upset. Thanks, clayb.

joester

2 salty dawgs
Canada

Canada, although beautiful, has no beachfront property to compare to the Sea of Cortez. also, one heck of a long drive for everyone in the southwest USA to get to for a long weekend vacation.

S

siemprecertero

I know a good attorney in Rocky Point who especializes in real estate law. You can find him at www.lombrozolegal.com his e-mail is [email protected] he is on freemont boulevard. He performs successful ending and all the cases he handles on his law firm.

On my opinion Lombrozo Legal is the kind of bulldog attorney you need to end this situation and force those punks to give you your money back or delivering your new condo.

jerry

Not about this place but pretty funny tips on time share world...The mayan Prison Ha!

gabesz
New York, NY
1,434 forum posts
“ grand mayan timeshare nightmare ”
Jun 03, 2007, 1:43 AM
On May 30 we attended a presentation for purchasing a time share at Grand Mayan Palace(still under construction) in San Jose Cabo. This presentation was supposed to last approximately 90 minutes. It ended up being nearly 5 plus hours. What started as a nice presentation ended up being an insulting waste of my time.

We were offered initially 2 weeks 2 bedrooms(one bedroom and one lockoff studio) at Gand Mayan at 49,900 plua 720 per year maintenance, 2 years of RCI membership and free exchange with SFX for life. The second offer was at the Mayan Palace(no pool on your balcony) for 34,900 with the same features as above. Both include 100 year ownership renewable every 25 years by paying 5 years of maintenance(annual fee times 5)and Christmas, New Year, and Easter weeks not included. Mayan also sells fractional time shares for 250 thosand US Dollars.

Since that is an absurd price to me I was ready t go, also oting that at this point we have spent over 3 hours there. But no they would not let us go as they said when we came in. They tried to give us a better deal. The ultimate low deal ended up with 2 studios per year for 25 yars with February and March being blocked out for 7900 dollars.

When I told the rep that this was not satisfactory, and I would much more prefer the original deal initially offered for the low price, he told us that I am insulting his intelligence, and would not only not sell us a unit at any price, but we were not the proper class of people who belonged in the complex as owners.

The rep also threatened to report our payment of 300 dollars to the IRS, to which I told him to go right ahead.

Let us just say at this point we were rady to go having now spent over 4 hours of our vacation here.

Upon leaving you go through an exit interview with the developer, where they offer you the same 2 weeks as the 49,900 deal for 5000 dollars that is correct at 90 percent discount for 25 years, no exchange fees, and annual maintenance if you use your week of 399 dollars only if you use your week, plus an extra annual maintenance fee every 3 years. When I balked, they threw in a one week cruise to Alaska, . Mayan Riviera or Carribean on any cruise line. When I said no, they again reduced the price to 3000 dollars plus all the other features as the 5000 deal but no cruise. Having thought about all this I declined, since they can only guarantee exchange into Mayan resorts but not into anywhere else.

So having spent most of my day here, please all of you note that you can indeed have a Mayan resort room for 3000 dollars and perhaps even less if you are willing to waste your time.

Note further that upon leaving those who got our taxi and who work for Mayan try to get you to visit other time shares again the next day.

In addition to a somewhat lousy breakfast they paid our transport to and from the hotel, plus 300 dollars in cash.

So to all of you who wish to spend time here, just skip the nonsense and tell the Mayan rep you want the developer's

offer of 3000 dollars or less, and do not waste you time otherwise.

Note further, I am willing to bet the same kind of deal will be available to you in other then Cabo area as well, so I am posting this in alll the TA forums where Mayan resorts is located.

SDPadreFan
San Diego...
852 forum posts
1. Re: grand mayan timeshare nightmare
Jun 03, 2007, 2:58 AM
Unfortunately, the subject of Mayan Palace timeshare nightmares have been discussed on this forum to exhaustion. I wish you had done a search on timeshare presentation's on this board before your trip because then you would have surely avoided the Mayan Nightmare.

There are much better presentation's to go to in the future.

NewGrama
Anacortes...
2,702 forum posts
2. Re: grand mayan timeshare nightmare
Jun 03, 2007, 11:05 AM
I'm sorry about your nightmare. We've started calling the place "The Mayan Prison" on this forum because of reports like yours. Thanks for reporting so that others will be warned about their tactics