Legal

Stuart-
If this thread is out of line just delete it... Is pot legal in Mexico? If so what are the "rules" as far as possession, purchase etc. I know it's always been "available" but to me has never been worth risking it.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Legal, yes (in small amounts). Are you still likely to be arrested? Yes. In essence, nothing has changed. Cop catches you smoking a spliff, you're still likely to get arrested, especially being a gringo, because gringos are perceived as rich and can pay fines. The "rules" outlined in the US Consulate brief below only deal with possession. There are no "legal" rules for purchasing or selling; the whole purpose of passing the initiative in the first place was to set a national standard for personal possession and dealing to make it easier to prosecute small drug dealers that are viewed as poisoning Mexican youth and society.

Caveat emptor, amigo! But, most any taxi driver can take you to (or go secure for you) whatever you need. Or, you can risk being trampled to death by the drug dealers and pimps along Calle 13 most evenings.

Good articles; read and heed:

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/drug_fact_sheet.pdf

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2010/01/10/20100110mex-drugs.html

ernesto

It's decriminalized not legal.Still not sure what they do to Gringos, but Mexicans are recommended to a diversion program for the first two offences. The diversion is mandatory on the third.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
"Decriminalized" is a better word than legal, but regardless of what word you use to describe it, chances are VERY good you're still gonna get dragged in front of El Jeffe if you get caught.

:puff:

Kenny

"Decriminalized" is a better word than legal, but regardless of what word you use to describe it, chances are VERY good you're still gonna get dragged in front of El Jeffe if you get caught.

:puff:
The Oregon Decriminalization Bill of 1973 abolished criminal penalties for possession of small amounts of marijuana. As a result, possession of up to an ounce of marijuana in Oregon today is a violation (not a crime), punishable only by a fine of $500 to $1000. There is one exception, however, which is: if possession of such an amount occurs in a public place within 1000 feet of a school attended by minors, the person committing the offense is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor instead. Possession of more than one ounce, no matter the proximity to a school, is a Class B felony. The actual use of marijuana in private, and being under the influence of marijuana, are not punishable offenses under Oregon law. However, public use, and also driving under the influence of marijuana, are punishable offenses.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
And you are telling us about Oregon law because?????? OH... you just smoked!! I get it!!!! :puff:

Kenny

And you are telling us about Oregon law because?????? OH... you just smoked!! I get it!!!! :puff:
The similarity's are unmistakable, and the resulting change close to the same. Come to think of it, I did move up that way in 74.

jerry

I don't smoke much weed anymore and was working out a way to protect a mountain road with Riprap,French drains etc etc on a large piece of property.Unnamed sub says "lets burn one" so we smoke something he got from the bay called "Purple urkel" and just start being in tune with the hillside man......it really ended up helping figure the flow of the project man.backhoe,nature...all one...