lets see if anyone can answer this tide question

azfish

If your high tide is 5.1 meters as it will be at 12:38 pm today. (this is point A)

At low tide it will be .3 meters at 6:49 pm today. (this is point B)

How far will the water move offshore? (from A to B)

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Not sure I understand your question about offshore, but the water does indeed rise and fall with the tide. How do I know this? GPS - that also shows elevation. There have been times I've seen it read minus numbers. In essence, you are below sea level while you're at sea level. Figure THAT one out! :rofl:

mis2810

If your high tide is 5.1 meters as it will be at 12:38 pm today. (this is point A)

At low tide it will be .3 meters at 6:49 pm today. (this is point B)

How far will the water move offshore? (from A to B)
How about this? As long as I'm in the water or sitting in front of it who cares?:rofl:

mis2810

What are the chances of a tsunami anywhere in the Sea of Cortez, considering the seismic activity in the area?

azfish

Not sure I understand your question about offshore, but the water does indeed rise and fall with the tide. How do I know this? GPS - that also shows elevation. There have been times I've seen it read minus numbers. In essence, you are below sea level while you're at sea level. Figure THAT one out! :rofl:
Im going to have to make it a little simpler for you all.

You are under your beach umbrella on a beach some where, the tide is at its highest. put a marker at water line this is (A). When tide is at its lowest that day put a second marker there, this is point (B).

What you are trying to figure out is how much (distance from A to B) of sand is revealed when water goes from high to low point.

This being said figure out the question. I dont think your GPS will help you. Find the math formula and figure it out.

Or just say its over my head.:duh:

tortuga

There is no formula. It totally depends on how steep the beach is. The lower the angle the more sand that is uncovered. And the angle may change as the sand doesn't go down at a constant rate.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Well the problem with the mark at the end of low tide is the next wave in will take away the mark before you can measure it.

I tried using my golf laser range finder but it was too late. :cheers:

joester

2 salty dawgs
seems to me that the horizontal distance will vary with the percent of grade (slope) of the shoreline. the vertical distance of the high water elevation compared to the low water elevation at the waters edge can be 20', plus or minus.
this probably does not answer your question - but I gave it a shot.

Terry C

It all depends where you are under your umbrella. Some parts of Playa Encanto you can walk out a 1/2 mile others parts a 1/4 mile at low tide. Cholla Bay empties out almost all the way so you have a mile + - you can walk across depending if your going N-S or E-W. Sand is revealed buy how far you can walk at Low tide. So in essence if you have a rolling measuring tape you could do the distance.

Okay azfish, a little clarification is in order. Are we talking linear feet or vertical feet of distance? I work as a land surveyor and I know NO formulas, (based on the information given), that I could use to give you an answer. There's too
many variables. In most mathematical equations there is X,Y and Z available in order to solve for the answer. In my opinion your missing either X or Y, and possibly Z depending on how the equation is worded or the answer needed. In either
case, the forum will need more information in order to achieve a proper and mathematically proven answer. I say Z is the missing variable.

azfish

Okay azfish, a little clarification is in order. Are we talking linear feet or vertical feet of distance? I work as a land surveyor and I know NO formulas, (based on the information given), that I could use to give you an answer. There's too
many variables. In most mathematical equations there is X,Y and Z available in order to solve for the answer. In my opinion your missing either X or Y, and possibly Z depending on how the equation is worded or the answer needed. In either
case, the forum will need more information in order to achieve a proper and mathematically proven answer. I say Z is the missing variable.
You are real close. Vertical = Z

Kenny

There is no formula. It totally depends on how steep the beach is. The lower the angle the more sand that is uncovered. And the angle may change as the sand doesn't go down at a constant rate.
Exactly as you and Terry say, there is no formula for this question without knowing the angle of the slope and then it would be a fairly simple Trigonometry exercise.

Maybe it was supposed to be like the quize we had in the 3th grade about the boat with the ladder over the side with the steps one foot apart and bla bla bla and when the tide went down 3 feet, what rung would the water it be on? The same one of course.

azfish

Exactly as you and Terry say, there is no formula for this question without knowing the angle of the slope and then it would be a fairly simple Trigonometry exercise.

Maybe it was supposed to be like the quize we had in the 3th grade about the boat with the ladder over the side with the steps one foot apart and bla bla bla and when the tide went down 3 feet, what rung would the water it be on? The same one of course.
Comon Kenny, what you didnt get it right in 3rd grade? (3th grade) HA HA HA HA

Kenny

Comon Kenny, what you didnt get it right in 3rd grade? (3th grade) HA HA HA HA
What you don't seem to understand is that your question is complete nonsense, and if you weren't a supposedly educated adult that would be funny, but it's not.

Kenny you are so close with the correct formula equation. In fact trigonometry will give you the answer, but you're just a pinch off with your thoughts. Trig'n it will work, but we need to know how far away, horizontally speaking
with a 90 degree angle of measurement, the tide is so we can determine vertical height increase, (or decrease), the ground we stand on is different from one another. This height variation will tell us if we need to add or subtract when we get
further into our equation. Then there comes in the max high and max low tide level-the difference, which such would need to be multiplied by the tangent of, and then added to the height variation of 90 degree angle. It's actually way
more simple to do in person than explain.