Let's Talk Auto Insurance

Staying in RP for 40 days per year.

• Daily Insurance?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 mos Premium?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We plan on visiting Rocky Point at least 40 days a year. Can anyone recommend if we should buy a 6 month premium or should we just buy daily insurance for the weeks we stay. What is the cheapest? We just want to have insurance incase we get pulled over driving through the Gauntlet of Sonoita.

We plan on visiting Rocky Point at least 40 days a year. Can anyone recommend if we should buy a 6 month premium or should we just buy daily insurance for the weeks we stay. What is the cheapest? We just want to have insurance incase we get pulled over driving through the Gauntlet of Sonoita.
Is your travel time going to be within 6 of the months in a row? Or spread out throughout the year, if it won't all be in the 6 months in a row you are going to want to either look at an annual or just daily every time you go. The absolute easiest website to play around with quotes is Mexicanautoinsurance.com , very reputable and a few bucks cheaper than any other place I've gone or gotten quotes from. There you can easily put some numbers in and see what comes out best for you

Thanks Beachykeen!
No problemo! besides being covered we also look at it from "Murphys Law" perspective , every time we dish out the dinero for the policy nothing happens (thank God) so we have sometimes thought for a millisecond save a little & risk it but that'll be the 1 time something happens !

Landshark

What type of auto insurance are you interested in? A full coverage policy or just liability?

mondone

Whitecaps
I wouldn't worry about just getting insurance because of Sonoyta, You must ,by law, have a minimum of liability insurance written by a Mexican company. Getting into an incident without liability insurance is going to cause you big time trouble, as in possible loss of your vehicle and/or jail time. You will probably find that buying an annual policy will be the best bet premium wise. If you don't care about your vehicle having damage coverage, the least expensive way to go is buying a "drivers license" policy, which covers you for any vehicle you drive in Mexico. Usually you can add 2 other drivers to the policy at no additional cost. I highly recommend you purchase the policy from a local Penasco agent because they will be available immediately should you run into a problem on the road. I buy from Proalliance Ins. Agency. Rosie and Paty provide excellent service and cost. http://www.proalliance.com.mx/ You call or e-mail them and Paty will do everything to recommend, price and issue your policy whether you are in the USA or Mexico.

I would recommend & do always get full coverage, of course the liability coverage is the law but why take any chances on yourself , passengers or own vehicle when there are options for coverage that are literally dollars per day (unless you are insuring a really expensive vehicle which in that case is still worth the coverage) wherever you go to buy it.

Thanks for your imput. I received a quote for driver's license for the year of $199. Liability only. And $168/year for an auto (liability only). Lewis and Lewis

We just renewed our liability (drivers license) policy with Pro Alliance it cost us $206 for a year. Thats for 4 drivers.

Last edited:

marybna

I always buy mine for a year even though we are coming down less. They notify me when it is coming up. When I first starting going down, I bought it for each trip. Then we went down one time and Ireakized neither of us had got the insurance.

Thanks for the Great response! I like the idea of DL insurance. I'm not to worried about my auto coverage. I have USAA and they should cover damages. I just worry about keeping legal with the Feds.

mondone

Whitecaps
I would check with your USA company about your coverage outside of the USA. most provide limited damage coverage within 25 miles of the border only

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Annual is your best bet and the cheapest for those number of days. I'll give you an example... truck, boat in tow... used to run me about $90 for a single weekend trip. Times that, by say, your 40 and your looking at close to $2000 based on a per trip basis. Same policy on an annual basis only costs me about $600. And, no stress worrying about it when and if I want to go -- I'm covered.

The other advice I'd offer is shop around a bit and make sure you're getting what you pay for.