Liberty Cove article in the Tucson Weekly

Terry C

No different than in Why, AZ. 50K could of got an Investor on the ground floor and got 10-12 % a year interest and a portion of the profit when the hotel was built and sold back to another Investor. Still dirt, with a tarp sign that you can't read two plus years later.

I'll stick with what we have. Safe and secure in Playa Encanto.

jerry

No different than in Why, AZ. 50K could of got an Investor on the ground floor and got 10-12 % a year interest and a portion of the profit when the hotel was built and sold back to another Investor. Still dirt, with a tarp sign that you can't read two plus years later.

I'll stick with what we have. Safe and secure in Playa Encanto.
no kidding Terry smallish house in a small cluster with a good security team is all we need

We should start a new thread that has our posts describing scams or bad deals we invested in. I know that in the heat of the real estate boom I let the frenzy suck me in and made some ridiculous investments.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Very good read. In fact, this article should be REQUIRED READING for anyone before they spend one dime buying/investing in real estate in Mexico. Sadly, it's now just another footnote in scam real estate deals gone bad.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Stuart while it may be required reading for those investing in Mexico, I must add that no matter where you invest be aware of the scammers who may have not been scammers but just sales men with a business plan who got caught with both hands in the cookie jar when the brakes went on in the world economy. Had the economy not crashed in 07 then there may have been a completely different outcome to a lot of these stories. No I dont work for any of these guys but from personal experience it is not just Mexico that had a problem, we lost hundreds in thousands of dollars in the USA in 07 and 08 and there was nothing we could do to stop it. It felt like corruption to me but the crooks are so far up the food chain that nothing can touch them. We wipe our hands and move on.....otherwise you will go crazy

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I agree, Russ. You can get scammed anywhere, but you're more likely to get screwed in Mexico due to title and ejido disputes. Been happening for years and years, although recent reforms have helped with some of this. Not just high-end development or condos - average gringo Joe buys a property and builds a home on it, only to have someone later crawl out of the woodwork and place a claim on the land. In one case (Punta Bufeo in northern Baja, I believe), the owners simply bulldozed their dream home rather than let the ejido take it. Sort of similar story in El Golfo where the ejido strong armed them off the property,fenced it and occupied it. As the article pointed out, the difference between Title Insurance in the US and Mexico is huge and not a safeguard of your rights by any means.

Hey, I realize there are 1000's of happy gringo property owners in Mexico. I'd like to be one someday. But it won't be in a brand new, undeveloped project! It will be a home or casita that's been around for years through a private sale.
:puff:

jerry

Matthew J. Mickley
age 47, of Phoenix, Ariz., formerly of Louisville and North Canton, Ohio passed away Sunday, April 3, 2011 in Phoenix. He was born April 24, 1963 in Canton, Ohio.
Matt is survived by five children, Robert, Adam, Megan, Jordan and Faith; two grandchildren, Rohgan and Hadley; his parents, Thomas and Carole Mickley; and eight siblings, Rod, Dean, Brian, Steve, Neal, Dale, Karen and Daryl.
Matt's family will receive friends from 4-8 p.m. Friday, April 8, at Stier-Israel Funeral Home, Louisville, Ohio. In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to the family to help with expenses c/o Stier-Israel Funeral Home, 917 E. Main St., Louisville, OH 44641.

A victim of this conspiracy of silence....the title issues were known,the pollution/smoke issues were known and still the early investors kept quiet thus allowing more people to get scammed.