Licence Plate Readers

It's been around for a while now.....as long as the data is erased quickly after the license doesn't trigger some type of alert...no big deal...... I'm sure someone's going to yell BIG BROTHER WATCHING!!!

Go to Europe, particularly England, and there are piles of video cameras "watching" you!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, but how do you know if they actually are erasing it? It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they were keeping track of us frequent visitors.

Chari, at the border., they've been doing that for years....remember when the agent would walk back to the rear of your vehicle, or had you pull up so he could see the license plate in the big mirror....they would punch that into the computer...keeping track of your coming and goings!!!! Same with the passport....they would scan your passport (bar code...now they had the rfid chip).....BIG BROTHER!!!!

So, when you declare that quart of liquor or cigis, and then come back the same month and declare another one....gotcha!!!!:rofl::aagh:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, I know, Joe. But it was still very unnerving the first time I pulled up to the agent and was still rolling my window down and he said, "Good afternoon Miss Ainsworth, how was your trip down this time?"

Hmmm, I know I have crossed twice in the same month before with declared booze......

I was just reading an article in the Wall Street Journal that told of how, once they (BB) start a file on you, they just keep adding to it, even if you're not suspected of anything. Yes, border crossings go into "your file" .....YUK!

No one ever noticed that their picture was taken when they approached the inspection agent? What do you think that red 'flash' was all about? Your license plate was being scanned at the same time. The BCP agent sees a display of your vehicle's border crossing history on his computer screen. This has been going on for several years, ever since they modified the inspection lanes for the scanning equipment.

A

AZ Miguel

I don't know what all the hoopla is all about, I'd be more concerned if our country wasn’t doing this at an entrance into our country. And by creating a database on each vehicle that crosses they are able to see what patterns this vehicle and owner has and are able to adjust on how the entry is processed. I would hope that our country has these safe guards in effect and many more that we don’t and shouldn’t know about.

I didn't notice a camera when you're going into Mexico....all the discussions have been about the cameras coming back into AZ.... The Mexicans used to have cameras aimed at the inspection area....haven't even bothered to look to see if they are still there.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The Mexicans used to have cameras aimed at the inspection area.
Then they print out the pictures and store them in huge filing cabinet in an enormous warehouse somewhere in Mexico, along with all billion or so paper forms they collect and issue on a daily basis. It's been studied and said that the paper in this warehouse represents about 95% of the trees that have been cut in the Amazon rain forest. The one guy that knew the filing locations of everything in the warehouse retired last year. His replacement gave up trying to learn the filing system and now just stores incoming boxes of forms wherever there happens to be an open shelf.

Playa....where is the one located at the border crossing for Penasco??? (going into Mexico) I don't recall seeing one there. As I mentioned before, there used to be cameras mounted up high on the Mexican side aimed at the inspection area....probably looking for any "tips" accepted by the Mexican customs people....

playaperro

El Pirata
Its on a telephone pole before the border crossing. It alerts the ice agents before you cross. So if your on the shit list you will be searched!

Will have to check it out next time down....I have noticed that they have searched vehicles before they cross over....I guess I need to disguise myself the next time I want to pull an insurance fraud!!!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Wow, if the vehicle crossing history is in their computers, I wonder how many pages long mine is..... LOL!

There is a difference between cameras that monitor the inspection area and scanners. The cameras continuously record all activity in the area. The video data is used to support any cases brought before a federal grand jury. No info is available as to how long it is kept.

The info from scanners goes into a different data base. It's no different from data manually entered by BCP agents. At outgoing inspection, agents enter data in hand-held devices.