lobos fishing with Ray and Connie

ReelHard

grouper slayer
Scott and i met up with ray and connie on friday evening to make a plan for fishing. we decided to leave the dock at 3 oclock sat morning. We meet at the marina and loaded up all of our gear. The seas were fair at best. maybe 2 foot. We were on ray and connies boat foul play. which is a 32 foot century w/a. that thing handled the seas great and was a joy to drive. we made the 90 mile run in under 3 hrs. while in lobos we had no problem making bait and were on our reef shortly after to try for some grouper. Ray is a serious angler along with connie. In a day of fishing they managed to bag 2 gulf grouper 5 leopard 2 white sea bass 5 very large spanish mackeral and a 50 lbs rooster fish. We anchored up in the evening and caught a little shut eye. we woke in the morning with flat seas and no wind i mean zero breeze. It got hot real quick. there was alot of dolphins playing all around the boat in the morning. which was nice to see.

We were all exhausted and ray said lets go get a pizza. so back to rockypoint we headed. we were crusing around 40 knots and ray said open here up. So i pinned the throttles.. Then a few seconds latter i hear a little voice say slow it down a bit. I said no problem connie. we arrived back to the marina and head to cappones for pizza.

What a fantastic trip. Ray and Connie are the greatest people to fish with. we lauhged and joked and picked at each other all day long. cant wait to do it again.

Attachments

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Beautiful rooster! I assume you released it? No biggie if you didn't, but that's one of those that falls into my "fun to catch, not so good to eat" category.

I have talked with Ray and Connie in the past at Safe Marine - very nice folks and that Century boat of theirs kicks ass!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Very Nice.

You guys did better in Lobos than we did on Monday, that's for sure. We got down there about 1:00 on Monday afternoon to fish the evening slack tide, but the seas were up over 2 feet and the water was churned up pretty good.

Last edited:

ReelHard

grouper slayer
Stuart we release all fish that are unedible. It is all about the sport. maybe next time he will be 60 lbs when we hook him.

Sorry the fishing was not so good for you Robert. They can be finicky at times. the best bait last weekend was green backs and barred saranoes.