lobos shore fishing

MIRAMAR

Those look great-what type of fish are they; what time of day did you catch them; and what type of lure? I'm asking because we went shore fishing in La Pinta on the Mayan side, but didn't catch anything- so we were doing something wrong. Thanks for your input.

They are called dog snapper and I usually catch them at high tide and up to one hour later. The lure is a cordell super spot,about 4 inches long and weighs about 2 ounces, in the foil color. have been using them for 20 years now .Leigh

RIC

Nice catch Leigh. The one thing I have always liked about shore fishing in Lobos over Rocky Point is the greater variety available. It is nice to be able to catch small to midsized leopard grouper as well as several different species of snapper right of the bank. Give us some more details on your rigging such as line test, and rod and reel set up. Also, is the corvina bite still pretty good in Lobos?

Ric

www.RICSROCKYPOINTFISHING.COM

I use a 7500 garcia bait caster with 50 lb supreme green trilene on a custom made 8 foot bait caster by hot rods in mesa. The guys name that makes the rods is gale but I haven't talked to him in years. this is probably the best rod I have owned for this type of fishing. The corvina are probably still there I just couldn't get to the other lighthouse because of the weather. The sardies are usually there in march on. Leigh

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Very nice! They call 'em pargo down in Cabo and we've caught some real brutes in a panga just offshore in the rocks. Nice set of teeth on them!

I'm feeling a trip to Lobos in my near future...

don

Nice catch and thanks for posting!
They are a blast to catch, (esp to eat), Gene calls them the toughest fightin' fish in Cortez.
Pardon my ignorance, how far down is Lobos?

Ed B

Small Potatoes
Nice Leigh. I still have some of those lures you gave me a few years back. One of these days the timing will be right and I'll get there to throw some at them with you.

Kenny

Really nice catch Leigh, and the next time I'm at Jerry's there no way I wont get down there. Don, it's not that far from Jerry's, and the road is almost completed now.
There is a very good chance that the fish I fought so long down by Jerry's was a Pargo. Jerry got a glimpse of it, and it fit's

Last edited:
Really nice catch Leigh, and the next time I'm at Jerry's there no way I wont get down there. Don, it's not that far from Jerry's, and the road is almost completed now.
There is a very good chance that the fish I fought so long down by Jerry's was a Pargo. Jerry got a glimpse of it, and it fit's
Kenny...the road is completed past there.....and it's only about 1.5 miles of hard pack to the village. I think there will start being more visitors.

Lobos

The place is really fine the way it is. That is why there is still shore fishing out my front door. Just my opinion. You used to have to go 42 miles on the worst dirt road you have ever been to . That is what used to keep most people out. There have been alot of people down once and never again, that is why it stays the same and the fishing and the people are still awesome , Leigh

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I actually agree with that... the day there is an easily accessible boat ramp will be the first day that the fishing probably starts to decline.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Yes, Pargo and Cubera are both common terms applied to any of the snappers, of which there are dozens of different species in the Sea of Cortez.