Looking to build custom home, need a builder?

Jonbuot

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable honest builder that they can recommend. How much are they charging per square foot?

Jon

Landshark

Well Known Member
My recommendation is to buy a custom home already completed with a bank trust in place and remodel if necessary to your specifications. Our builder was at the time said by all to be the best custom home builder in town and we ended up with an unfinished shell even though we paid in full for a completely finished home. Took us 2 years of work and huge cost overruns to complete it. Never again.

Jonbuot

Is your builder still building in RP or is he out of business?

My recommendation is to buy a custom home already completed with a bank trust in place and remodel if necessary to your specifications. Our builder was at the time said by all to be the best custom home builder in town and we ended up with an unfinished shell even though we paid in full for a completely finished home. Took us 2 years of work and huge cost overruns to complete it. Never again.

Landshark

Well Known Member
He closed his business quite some time ago. Our home is group owned, shared equity ownership. We were very fortunate that we had partners to help absorb the expense of completing the home because the cost of construction almost doubled when our contractor went broke. No registrar of contractors to fall back on, no recourse at all. We completed the home by doing some work ourselves and hiring different subcontractors to work for us. It did not go well at that stage either. The subs either didn't show up, or took money for supplies and didn't show up, or showed up and did the worst job anybody had ever seen, and, and, and. It was a nightmare we were trying to manage and doing it from the Phoenix area during the week and driving down on weekends, sometimes achomplishing nothing. Thankfully over time we finished it and it turned out very nice. It is beachfront so since then the maintenance has been nonstop and we are continuously dealing with subs and workers. Same story, same problems, but have found a few workers that we can count on. Lots of problems building, ongoing maintenance issues, but the rewards have been priceless. My kids grew up learning about and loving the beach, the sea, and Mexico. Now my granddaughter is along for the ride.

hammockpilot

where are you building? we are in the youth of a lifetime project in Encanto, but are very happy with our builder. PM us if you are curious.

Landshark

Well Known Member
where are you building? we are in the youth of a lifetime project in Encanto, but are very happy with our builder. PM us if you are curious.
We are also in Encanto and would like to know who your builder is. No major needs now but we have several large maintenance issues that will need attention soon such as replacing the roof tile that has been slowly decaying from the sea breeze. :(

Jonbuot

We are also in Encanto and would like to know who your builder is. No major needs now but we have several large maintenance issues that will need attention soon such as replacing the roof tile that has been slowly decaying from the sea breeze. :(
Haven hired him yet but Buildrockypoint.com is his sight. Dynamic Team is on his card.

ron

Well Known Member
Haven hired him yet but Buildrockypoint.com is his sight. Dynamic Team is on his card.
How far are you along. We too are looking at building in Los Portales. Have they given you a price for sq. ft. yet? PM me if you don't want this public.

jerry

Well Known Member
Rent or buy existing is my advice but if not the case break up the draws maybe into nine pieces.Build garage first then buy rebar etc.upfront so they don't hit you with the price of steel is up 20% scam.Shop around on materials( home depot in Nogales will be hard to beat if you can handle the drive,setup internet cameras to watch progress...

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
He closed his business quite some time ago. Our home is group owned, shared equity ownership. We were very fortunate that we had partners to help absorb the expense of completing the home because the cost of construction almost doubled when our contractor went broke. No registrar of contractors to fall back on, no recourse at all. We completed the home by doing some work ourselves and hiring different subcontractors to work for us. It did not go well at that stage either. The subs either didn't show up, or took money for supplies and didn't show up, or showed up and did the worst job anybody had ever seen, and, and, and. It was a nightmare we were trying to manage and doing it from the Phoenix area during the week and driving down on weekends, sometimes achomplishing nothing. Thankfully over time we finished it and it turned out very nice. It is beachfront so since then the maintenance has been nonstop and we are continuously dealing with subs and workers. Same story, same problems, but have found a few workers that we can count on. Lots of problems building, ongoing maintenance issues, but the rewards have been priceless. My kids grew up learning about and loving the beach, the sea, and Mexico. Now my granddaughter is along for the ride.
This was pretty much my experience also.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable honest builder that they can recommend. How much are they charging per square foot?

Jon
If you you decide to build make sure you have a decent set of plans that both you and your builder understand. Set out in writing what the expectations are for build time, payment schedule and the completion date. Forget about asking for Sq. Ft. price. this is the biggest misnomer in the construction industry-just a few finish items like flooring, cabinets or doors and skew a sq. ft. price a lot in either direction. Confirm what the roofing system will be, what type of plumbing you will receive and the size of the wiring that will be installed. Make sure you have hose bibs and outlets everywhere. Make sure the house is built so that water runs away from it. Spend more money on doors and windows.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Not to mention it's overpriced like most of the homes in the area. Still living in the pre 2008 era.
You think? I'm not an expert but I'm guessing it would be very difficult to build a custom home for less than $100 per sq ft. Even in RP. If that were the case you would spend $770K for the house. Lots were around a million there in their day, maybe $250 now. Being sold furnished so add that expense, 2 garages, pool and landscaping would be extra. But maybe you're right...

jerry

Well Known Member
If you you decide to build make sure you have a decent set of plans that both you and your builder understand. Set out in writing what the expectations are for build time, payment schedule and the completion date. Forget about asking for Sq. Ft. price. this is the biggest misnomer in the construction industry-just a few finish items like flooring, cabinets or doors and skew a sq. ft. price a lot in either direction. Confirm what the roofing system will be, what type of plumbing you will receive and the size of the wiring that will be installed. Make sure you have hose bibs and outlets everywhere. Make sure the house is built so that water runs away from it. Spend more money on doors and windows.
And pretreat for termites,avoid outside wood,create shaded spaces,hose bibs everywhere goes double!,make sure the the copper is sized right if you are going tankless water heater,superior doors that keep the critters out....skip cat 6 bullshit and live with wifi/Bluetooth,walled yard on east side for your dog...maybe let him be able to access the stairs to the roof deck....don't get a damn tv.....wastes your time and keeps you inside

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Do not allow any rusty rebar on your property! It will continue to rust and cause great problems. Check out the SIP's panel discussions on this forum. Jerry's comments about tankless water heaters and the correct sizing is spot on, I just had to repipe my newly installed pipe in Phoenix because the lines were not 1". Also: newer tankless heaters have a small internal tank and a pump for recirculation, older and cheaper models do not. No PVC plumbing anywhere in your house! As a matter of fact, come tour my house and you can see all of the above mentioned problems in one place! :)

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
You think? I'm not an expert but I'm guessing it would be very difficult to build a custom home for less than $100 per sq ft. Even in RP. If that were the case you would spend $770K for the house. Lots were around a million there in their day, maybe $250 now. Being sold furnished so add that expense, 2 garages, pool and landscaping would be extra. But maybe you're right...
Its all in your expectations, the shell of a house can be had in Phoenix for under a $100 a foot but then you get in to the finishes, doors, cabinets, flooring, windows, extra insulation, efficient appliances, efficient HVAC.......you can get above $200 easily. Do not ever be mislead by the "I can build for $125 a foot" quote, it means absolutely nothing. Also, people do not add in the fees like permits, supervision, Architecture, contractor fee...............