Looking to work in PP any ideas? (serious question)

garyd

I am looking for a way to move down permanently. Any ideas for work where I can make a decent income?

jerry

The guys down here always want me to buy a panga from el Golfo the fishermen sell after getting new ones from the Feds for not killing everything up there.They tell me we can get a great one for 5k,put a relative in his boat and he runs the new boat and between grouper and blue shrimp I could make 50 k a year.....not sure I believe them

Jerry, Are they selling the pangas used for fishing and shrimping or the ones for doing runs out to the mother ship to bring in the mota from El Golfo?

jerry

Jerry, Are they selling the pangas used for fishing and shrimping or the ones for doing runs out to the mother ship to bring in the mota from El Golfo?
The first ones...second choice seem to be full of bullet holes.

I know this was sort of a stupid suggestion but I do think a service that worked out a way to get premium fresh seafood to high end restaurants in Phoenix and Tucson could mark it up enough to make a good peso or two.....the world always needs another middleman

ben21

Daily boat trips from sandy beach to malecon so people dont have to drive.
I REALLY like this idea... Only question would be where to pick up/drop off at each location? How long do you think it would take each way? Considering regular taxis are charging around $15 for this, I'm sure there's potential here.

ben21

Oh...ok. Didn't mean to jump on ya. Sorrry
No worries...

Back to the water taxi idea... A local should give that a shot, maybe partner with a restaurant in the Malecon ($2 off meal with boat ride, etc). I'm sure somebody has an extra panga lying around, would just need to create some sort of signage. How much business could those banana boat drivers really be pulling in anyway?

Other than that, you could also explore some online, freelance type work depending on your skill set.

garyd

No worries...

Back to the water taxi idea... A local should give that a shot, maybe partner with a restaurant in the Malecon ($2 off meal with boat ride, etc). I'm sure somebody has an extra panga lying around, would just need to create some sort of signage. How much business could those banana boat drivers really be pulling in anyway?

Other than that, you could also explore some online, freelance type work depending on your skill set.
Where would I start to look for online work? Any ideas?

garyd

I asked the question to the forum members because I look at you all as a big "Think Tank" Full of ideas and possibilities. GD

Roberto

Making a living here is not real easy. Forget all the professions. Construction used to be a possibility but is on hard times now. Maintenance and repair work creates a lot of possibilities but there is lots of competition.

I have seen an ad for and talked to a guy who said he was setting up a call center. Think there was a billboard in the Malecon at one time and ads in RP Times.

You will want to explore carefully the regs. for what is required for a non citizen to work in Mexico.

If thinking about a business I believe you have to have a Mex. corporation and perhaps a Mex. partner, not sure. Overlay of govt. crap for this too. Tred with care here as if you step on a citizen's business they can create problems. If you are seen as a competitor to a certain segment here you could have a big problem.

The Mayan Palace hires. One US guy told me they offered him a job as a truck driver but who knows. He was a BSer.