Looks like lock down will continue for awhile

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I’ve just added another to my ignore list. Pretty soon I will get mostly Rocky Point news when I come to this forum!

on the subject of Rocky Point, the protests in Sonyota are continuing to obstruct travel from Lukeville. I’m planning to come down next weekend and will enter through San Louis.
Now there's protests? Are they protesting to keep Americans "out" or to allow them "in"?

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
Now there's protests? Are they protesting to keep Americans "out" or to allow them "in"?
Some people in Sonyota have been putting a vehicle barrier to prevent travel south. When a lot of Americans start being turned back, Lukeville closes to save people a round trip. Travel north is apparently unobstructed.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
I’ve just added another to my ignore list. Pretty soon I will get mostly Rocky Point news when I come to this forum!

on the subject of Rocky Point, the protests in Sonyota are continuing to obstruct travel from Lukeville. I’m planning to come down next weekend and will enter through San Louis.
Keep us updated. We all want to hear about every time you ignore........

Roberto

Well Known Member
From what I understand US. involvement is incidental. A large part of Sonoyta has no water. OOMAPAS says 'pay your bill'. the people say F**K you.

Kenny

Well Known Member
From what I understand US. involvement is incidental. A large part of Sonoyta has no water. OOMAPAS says 'pay your bill'. the people say F**K you.
I'd assume they are not paying the water bill because they can't, so it's just turned off? That's cold.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I heard CFE did the same thing when people were behind on their electric in Penasco. No extra grace period during their lock down.

I don't know about Sonoyta but in Penasco lot's of homes still have a water tank as a back-up. (delivery in Summer was spotty in past years).
Hopefully there's people still using tanks in Sonoyta too.

RP Life

Well Known Member
There is a very good article explaining several reasons why the Sonoyta people are very upset. It is long and in Spanish here is the link.

www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3417092925002853&id=1363215350390631&__tn__=K-R

They have been denied entrance to Penasco for Doctors, Dentists, Medicines, Food and supplies. They can not visit family or go to their homes. Businesses that buy supplies to sell in Sonoyta are also denied entrance. They do not have a hospital in Sonoyta and are currently at 42 cases, but they say the number is much higher.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Maybe they have a very good reason to be upset.
I and many had no idea this was happening. Sonoyta has a population of maybe 10-15,000 people?

We used to stop at Vasquez's and the taco stand out front, it's been 8-10 years since we did that.
Now we stop at the OXXO/Pemex on the bypass road get some gas and Ice going in and for some gas on our way out.
With all the Cartel activity I've heard about over the past few years there, I don't need to spend anymore time there than necessary.
Also the Mordida police piss me off.

Roberto

Well Known Member
There is a very good article explaining several reasons why the Sonoyta people are very upset. It is long and in Spanish here is the link.

www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3417092925002853&id=1363215350390631&__tn__=K-R

They have been denied entrance to Penasco for Doctors, Dentists, Medicines, Food and supplies. They can not visit family or go to their homes. Businesses that buy supplies to sell in Sonoyta are also denied entrance. They do not have a hospital in Sonoyta and are currently at 42 cases, but they say the number is much higher.
This is terrible and unconscionable situation. Unfortunately there are lots of Ejidos in a similar situation in Sonora. The have small clinics but are not able to care for seriously ill folks. the people are pulling together as best possible but it's too little too late for many. Even Penasco has barely enough beds for routine hospital needs but IMHO Penasco has no right to retain state or local taxes. The only reason they did not overflow earlier is they sent the possible ill folks to Hermosillo.

RP Life

Well Known Member
De Frente as of 7/4/20

Puerto Peñasco registers this day 2 new cases of Covid-19, 1 of them in a health worker. Puerto Peñasco currently accumulates 28 cases and 2 deaths.
The municipality of Sonoyta today registered 1 death and 5 new cases, one of them in a pregnant woman. Sonoyta currently accumulates 47 cases and 3 deaths.
Today Sonora registered 26 deaths and 264 new cases.

RP Life

Well Known Member
De Frente 7/4/20 They also show pictures

Freight train knocks down electrical wiring, causing extensive damage
Significant damage to vehicles and infrastructure left the train passing this afternoon on the urban case of Puerto Peñasco.
Apparently, the excessive size of some wagons of the freight train caused that in its path it dragged the electrical wiring from the height of 13th street, to the crossing of the road that is located on Benito Juárez and Kino boulevards.
Consequently, 6 concrete and wooden light poles were knocked down, some of them falling on vehicles and businesses in the area.
10 vehicles and 3 businesses were damaged, and at least one of them suffered total losses, the rest with severe and light damage.
This accident caused several sectors of the city to be without electricity, and as long as the repair work is carried out, they will continue without electricity until at least Sunday afternoon.

www.facebook.com/Peri%C3%B3dico-De-Frente-109703845771031/?ref=py_c

Roberto

Well Known Member
I don't know about Sonoyta but in Penasco lot's of homes still have a water tank as a back-up. (delivery in Summer was spotty in past years).
Hopefully there's people still using tanks in Sonoyta too.
They are cheap enough to put one in as backup. we still have water problems.

RP Life

Well Known Member
This was on Rocky Point 360 Facebook 7/5/20

I would still wait until you see the requirements. So you may want to watch Rocky Point 360 or Rocky Point times for updates before jumping in the car.

An agreement was apparently reached between Puerto Peñasco, Sonoyta, and state health officials yesterday - though this has yet to be completely implemented - as both communities and Sonora confront present day challenges of healthcare and preventing virus spread in the age of Covid-19.

www.facebook.com/rockypoint360/

RP Life

Well Known Member
They are starting to post on different facebook pages that they are protesting again today for the border to be closed from 6 to 8pm.
Maybe someone has more info.

There is also a video out from a protester on facebook and someone translated and summarized as follows::

"Basically upset about how people from Sonoyta were portrayed in Kikos latest public statement. He said 1. If Kiko doesn’t bring the equipment to Sonoyta that he promised, they will shut down the road again. He is also demanding a public apology to the people of Sonoyta and even mentioned that since we are always looked at like a little narco town, you will see the narcos have our back!!! That was the gist of it"

www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=113496377104132&id=109469234173513

Last edited: