Looks like lock down will continue for awhile

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
Quaternary Ammonium is what they are spraying, hold your breath close your eyes and walk through. Everybody that has come through says it is easy and not a big deal and there have been several. Guys quit guessing about stuff, read or follow www.rockypoint360.com they are on the web and on facebook, they have the most up to date translated information out there. On their facebook page Rocky Point Times has been doing an excellent job of getting up to date material out there too but only on facebook and I know some of you won't go to facebook. These two sources are the best way to stay up to date with the ever changing news here.
Quaternary ammonium compounds, probably hundreds of different ones in industrial use, are not what I would pick for this (Ph.D. In chemistry and hundreds of publications here). Probably won’t do worse than give you skin irritation. Hold your breath going through and take a shower as soon as you get home. It’s a completely useless disinfectant if someone is infected and shedding virons.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
A couple factual items to report.

My wife drove back to US this morning. No questions or even any interest going thro the checkpoint. No hassle in Sonyota. Perfectly normal border crossing. She anticipates coming back to town by June 5. Might have to quarantine at home. Fine with that.

After the revised map came out putting all states but one in red, and by the book precluding “resumption of nonessential activities“ on Monday, I ran into a prominent restaurant owner at Sam’s. He was aware of the new map and asserted he was nonetheless opening on Monday. “I’ve got to eat”.

Roberto

Well Known Member
All that and the odds are pretty good that the same solution is not sprayed at every port of entry. "Hey look at this one it has that quartinary lomoanium stuff in in and it is cheaper. Use it"

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Third world country running around like a chicken with their head cut off. They don't know what to do, so they are doing anything that looks like it might help. Beyond ridiculous but I get it. Mexico doesn't have the medical infrastructure or wealth to deal with the Chinese virus. The poor get poorer. Just happy I have other places to stay while this chaos continues in Mexico.

RP Life

Well Known Member
All that and the odds are pretty good that the same solution is not sprayed at every port of entry. "Hey look at this one it has that quartinary lomoanium stuff in in and it is cheaper. Use it"
Everyone also needs to think about the employees that are having to use it and spray it everywhere everyday. That can't be good for them either for short term or long term use.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Damn, I'm seriously depressed now. I really really don't think I'm willing to deal with that big of a hassle to visit Rocky Point. Getting out of your vehicle to have to walk through an inspection and then this tunnel of love body wash thing, like wtffffffff?! Damn this sucks. Hopefully baja isn't doing the same thing because we want to explore the west side of the SOC in October...

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
Sonora is red, but is Puerto Peñasco still yellow? Will there be clarification from the mayor‘s office this weekend or will I just have to drive to Max’s in search of huevos ranchero?

Roberto

Well Known Member
I would feel a whole lot better about eating in the restaurants if they did simple things like washing dishes with HOT water, not using same sink at the bar to wash beverage glasses and the floor mop. Then rub rub rub the lipstick and skin off the glasses with a napkin right at the bar !! Watching the cooks put their fingers into their mouths, eating while cooking is no fun either.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Well, remember different jurisdictions use different criterion for reporting. Penasco's has kept the count way down, now we will see what the slope of the curve of new incidents looks like.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I would feel a whole lot better about eating in the restaurants if they did simple things like washing dishes with HOT water, not using same sink at the bar to wash beverage glasses and the floor mop. Then rub rub rub the lipstick and skin off the glasses with a napkin right at the bar !! Watching the cooks put their fingers into their mouths, eating while cooking is no fun either.
OK Roberto, I was going to eat my breakfast, suddenly I'm not so hungry. :confused:
That type of stuff happens at a lot of restaurants in the US too.
But I have watched servers and cooks in Penasco and have seen what you described more than once. (in Puerto Vallarta it's even worse)
I thing we hope that changes coming out of the CV era is much better hygiene everywhere.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Most likely a dilute hydrogen peroxide solution (retired scientist here). Of course, when all you are trying to do is achieve a placebo effect, water is your best choice, or scented water.
Ha! Yeah – Reminds me of back during H1N1, when they had southward travelers into Penasco stop, hold out their hands, and get a squirt of hand sanitizer.

AZRob

Well Known Member
Thanks Roberto. Im grossed out now too. Just about ready to eat my NY strip I grilled.:booger:

joester

2 salty dawgs
This was an interesting article about Quats (quaternary ammonium compounds) and other disinfectants. It is not just going through the tunnel one time, but all the disinfecting they will be doing everywhere for the next several months or more.

www.womensvoices.org/2018/05/08/what-are-quats-and-why-are-they-on-our-list/
So, trying to be as informed as a retired guy can be, I'm reading this article linked here, and from what I'm reading - those Lysol disinfecting wipes we've been using to wipe surfaces down aren't that safe for us after all???
Already seeing that travelling to Mexico is getting more unlikely anytime soon, now I have to research my Lysol wipes?
damn. at least that 112 degree heat yesterday killed the virus, right?
All travel plans cancelled since mid-March, and no end in sight.

Kenny

Well Known Member
So, trying to be as informed as a retired guy can be, I'm reading this article linked here, and from what I'm reading - those Lysol disinfecting wipes we've been using to wipe surfaces down aren't that safe for us after all???
Already seeing that travelling to Mexico is getting more unlikely anytime soon, now I have to research my Lysol wipes?
Dawn, the dish soap hand cleaner that gear heads have used for generations is about as good as it gets without a blow torch.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/12/science-soap-kills-coronavirus-alcohol-based-disinfectants

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I read that Ford was doing a computer upgrade for the law enforcement agencies to add a climate option for heating
the cars interior to 133+ degrees that will kill CV-19.