Lowrance LCX - 27C

Stu Ric and any body else

I think I have made up my mind on this unit. $ 934.80 delivered and it has all the stuff it needs.
7 in dia so it is a tad bigger and the specs seem to be ok.

I would appreciate any good or bad input you may have before I make the investment.

Boat is done and water test in Saguaro on about Wed.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
Bill

dmcauley

This is basically the unit I have Bill, the only drawback is that the sea of cortez chip costs an extra $200. I am very happy with mine. I just have to work out a small problem and get used to it. Terrific graphics :boat: :fish:

mine is a 28c

Sixty

Does it come with a transducer and GPS antenna? You really want a good quality thru hull transducer for a much better picture.

I have a Furuno 1850 combo unit and I am not a big fan of combo units. I would much rather have 2 seperate units. Lowrance makes decent sonar, but Furuno is top of the line. I would look for a used and in good condition furno sonar and then pick a chartplotter with a decent review and hopefully a basic sea of cortez map. All of the mexico charts I have seen leave alot to be desired and are not worth the $$.

RIC

Sixty said:
Does it come with a transducer and GPS antenna? You really want a good quality thru hull transducer for a much better picture.

I have a Furuno 1850 combo unit and I am not a big fan of combo units. I would much rather have 2 seperate units. Lowrance makes decent sonar, but Furuno is top of the line. I would look for a used and in good condition furno sonar and then pick a chartplotter with a decent review and hopefully a basic sea of cortez map. All of the mexico charts I have seen leave alot to be desired and are not worth the $$.

i agree with all that sixty said, i have a combo unit but if i had to do it over i would go with 2 separate units. furono definately has a better sonar than lowrance.

ric

www.RICSROCKYPOINTFISHING.COM

B

bahiatrader

I used Lowrance navigation systems when GPS was in it's infancy and liked them. I can't say the same about the two Lowrance sonar units I've owned. I left the last one beside a dumpster in perfectly good working condition.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Personally, I'd avoid the Lowrance. Audi has one that's only two years old and he's replacing it because of problems.

I'll echo same sentiments above - go with separate units if at all possible. Garmin makes great GPS units - you really don't need a fancy-schmancy chartplotter. Buy the best sounder you can afford.

B

bahiatrader

IN MY OPINION If you're initially going out of Puerto Peñasco, your 565 is all you should need. You've got to go a long ways, I think out past 51, before you get depths of over 500'. Out of San Carlos or Kino Bay, you don't have to go very far before you get over 1200', but what do you need to look at that depth anyway? As long as you have your charts and GPS, you know how deep it is. I might spend the extra money if I wanted to detect an Iraqi submarine sneaking up the channel. That's just my frugal opinion though.

Kenny

Bill Hale said:
WOW I DON'T HAVE GLASSES BIG ENOUGH TO SE THIS SCREEN !
Bill
I didn't even look, that was just the one on the opening page. They always have a quite a few and they change all the time. It came yesterday and I just thought someone might be able to find something they need at a very reasonable price. They have a big variety of merchandise.

Kenny

don

Hi Bill!
The advantage the combo units have is the ability to record everything while your underway. For instance, I put in 8 gig chip, set the unit to record, as I left port. I used the unit throughout the day, watching the bottom, navigating to different waypoints (piece of cake to show navigation and bottom contour at the same time). BTW, my units came with a rough map of the Sea of Cortez. Obviously a chip would be better, but remember I was told (by the folks who create Navionics chips) there was no way to add your waypoints to the chip (edit the chip). So with that knowledge, I did not see the need for a chip.

Anyway at the end of the day, back at the condo I pulled the chip out of the unit, set the laptop up, and using fast forward I could see an instant replay of the bottom contour. The main advantage was I could stop the screen, move my cursor over any point of the screen and I instantly got the exact waypoints of that location! I was able to pick up new potential fishing locations that way... If you want, I'll send you a brief copy of a recording I made back in Feb. Likewise when I heading out to a known reef, and I pass an interesting "area", I can always review it later, whether I'm fishing or back at the condo/home... I do not know if one can correlate the same type of recording data when you have different units, gps and sonar. I do carry a spare GPS/sonar unit on the boat simply because I've got too much invested in the trip to rely on such a simple duplication. My backup unit (which cannot record data) was only several hundred dollars.
Last bit of info, I've taught GPS useage since 1997 for Hunter Education and I personally have been very disappointed with the product support given to me by Garmin. I have also found Garmin units (that I've used and demonstrated) take a very long time to acquire satellite signals, and will easily lose their signal when used in a heavy tree canopy. The lowrance units on the other hand acquired quickly, and never lost a signal, even when used in the basement of a third story house.

Last bit of Garmin experience, remember y2k? I called Garmin at the time, and they would sell you a patch which you could download to your unit, if you wanted to continue using your unit. I do not know if this was for all units, I only know it was for units that I had inquired about at that time. Lowrance/Eagle units were not affected and needed no patch.

Obviously one does not have to worry about heavy tree canopy on the ocean.
Just thought I would throw in my experience and opinion on this Ford /Chevy /Dodge debate.
Don :boat: