Luxury Vehicle and safety question.....

mikef

I drive a 2015 GMC Yukon XL Denali. Its a $70k SUV. I am a little worried about driving it down to PP. Am I asking for trouble from both law enforcement and criminals by being so flashy? I could rent a mini van for my group but would rather drive my Denali. I don't want to stand out and bring trouble for me and my family.

It has been a few years since we have been to PP. We are coming from Riverside, Ca. I usually take the 10 Fwy to Buckeye. And then all the way down to past Gila Bend and down to Lukeville to cross the border. Is that still the best route or should I come in through Yuma?

I like going through Mexicali and down the coastal highway. I go highway 5 to 4 to 3. I am in Chino and I go that way every six weeks.

Rick

TICO-T

I drive a 2015 GMC Yukon XL Denali. Its a $70k SUV. I am a little worried about driving it down to PP. Am I asking for trouble from both law enforcement and criminals by being so flashy? I could rent a mini van for my group but would rather drive my Denali. I don't want to stand out and bring trouble for me and my family.

It has been a few years since we have been to PP. We are coming from Riverside, Ca. I usually take the 10 Fwy to Buckeye. And then all the way down to past Gila Bend and down to Lukeville to cross the border. Is that still the best route or should I come in through Yuma?
Buckeye to Gila Bend, Ajo, and Lukeville is the best way.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I think your vehicle will be fine. LOCK it and set the alarm. There are plenty of flashy vehicles running around down their every weekend.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Now a days there are cars in RP that are more expensive than your denali and they even have Mexican license plates!

mikef

Ok. Great. I figured it would be fine but I thought I would check with you guys that have experience. I feel better now.

Now to settle the debate on the route to take. Lol.

YumaJames

I live in Yuma and drive to Rocky Point about once a month. I can't speak for the route from Riverside to Yuma. From Yuma its about 1/2 hour to get to San Luis, where you cross into Mexico. One thing that may be a factor is don't cross into Mexico at the San Luis port of entry on a Friday afternoon or evening, because it'll take you at least one hour, possibly two, to get into Mexico because there are so many people crossing at that time and the authorities on both sides may be checking you. If you cross any other time you never wait. Once you cross into Mexico if you take the new toll highway to Rocky Point (which I highly suggest, its a fast highway in good condition) it'll take you 2 1/2 hours to get to Rocky Point. The toll is 110 pesos each way, double that if you're pulling a trailer.

I'm sure you know to make sure you get Mexican Auto Insurance & Insure your full vehicle value plus partial theft and partial damage (full theft & damage usually means only if the whole vehicle is damaged or stolen but adding partial makes sure you are covered for most anything that gets damaged or stolen) If you don't already have a place you get it I like Lewis & Lewis insurance You can do everything online. We don't have that nice of cars anymore so it's nice not to worry too much but we had taken a Hummer with rims and new Tahoe and never had any problems, we were super careful to follow all driving laws as far the cops were concerned. And yes, now the nicest cars we see blow away what we drive now and sometimes have Mexico plates.

Really? Is it that big of a difference?

I was thinking about drive to Yuma then crossing over and heading over to the 3.
I have gone through Yuma for years but its along way through yuma from the 8 to the border. From 8 to the boarder in Mexicali is just a few minutes. Then straight through Mexicali on 5 toward San Felipe, across 4 and down 3. You can also take the toll road from Mexicali over to 3. I enjoy the farmlands and I have never had any problem with the local police.

mikef

I have gone through Yuma for years but its along way through yuma from the 8 to the border. From 8 to the boarder in Mexicali is just a few minutes. Then straight through Mexicali on 5 toward San Felipe, across 4 and down 3. You can also take the toll road from Mexicali over to 3. I enjoy the farmlands and I have never had any problem with the local police.
I am thinking about going this route just for the drive down. If it will save me 90 minutes. My only worry is the wait time getting into Mexico at Mexicali. We will be driving in about noon on Wednesday before Thanksgiving day. Do you think the wait time will be bad?

On the way home I have read here that it is better to go through the Lukeville crossing due to long lines at Mexicali.

mikef

I live in Yuma and drive to Rocky Point about once a month. I can't speak for the route from Riverside to Yuma. From Yuma its about 1/2 hour to get to San Luis, where you cross into Mexico. One thing that may be a factor is don't cross into Mexico at the San Luis port of entry on a Friday afternoon or evening, because it'll take you at least one hour, possibly two, to get into Mexico because there are so many people crossing at that time and the authorities on both sides may be checking you. If you cross any other time you never wait. Once you cross into Mexico if you take the new toll highway to Rocky Point (which I highly suggest, its a fast highway in good condition) it'll take you 2 1/2 hours to get to Rocky Point. The toll is 110 pesos each way, double that if you're pulling a trailer.
Yes. I am interested in the Toll Highway. Is that the 3 or is it labeled as something else?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Once you cross the border into San Luis you will head East on 2 5 miles from the center of town where you cross you will see the very well marked highway to El Golfo de Santa Clara and Puerto Peñasco, it is highway 3

I am thinking about going this route just for the drive down. If it will save me 90 minutes. My only worry is the wait time getting into Mexico at Mexicali. We will be driving in about noon on Wednesday before Thanksgiving day. Do you think the wait time will be bad?

On the way home I have read here that it is better to go through the Lukeville crossing due to long lines at Mexicali.
I would look at google maps so you can see the rout. I just print a copy for reference because most of the navigation systems are not showing the highway 3 connection between El Golfo and Puerto Penasco. The longest I have ever waited in Mexicali was 45 minutes.

Ok. I will take a look at google maps and see if it shows the toll road.
There are two toll roads one out of Yuma east of town and one on highway 5 from Mexicali to (hwy 2) to the toll road in Yuma. To me they are expensive and don't save much time.