Mañana-itis is a Mexican Epidemic

Seven months into my existence as an expat in Mexico, I've managed to remain immune to the catastrophic epidemic of Manana-itis. This condition has been linked to tardiness and empty-wallet syndrome.

I've relaxed and am going through a phase of my own that has left me with a serious discontent for shoes. I've refused to put them on since June. A creature of habit from my days of hitting panty-droppers as they crossed the blueline , I know a good streak when I see it and for dang sure don't want to break it.

But I work. Everyday. The stories get knocked out on-time and the telephone remains glued to my ear for the first part of my day.

I look around this town and notice a lot of manana projects. You know what I'm talking about. We will get to that manana. Let's talk manana. I'll get back to you manana. It's like saving a project for a rainy day than when the rain comes saying that it is too wet to do it.

I have always been a "half-full" kind of person. I look at Rocky Point and see a tremendous amount of potential. I love the people, culture, and community while sharing that fondness with my world. Manana or never, it does not really matter. I've learned a long time ago to give everyone the initial opportunity to show their hand. Than it's much easier to separate the contenders from pretenders.

In my line of work, relationships are everything. Burning bridges (or sources) is a fast way to the poor house and I'm very careful to be a man of my word. I pass those lessons onto my children and to thousands of readers everyday. Manana-itis is a great way to burn bridges when taking part in any type of relationship, business or personal. I ran into an acquaintance at the Super Ley the other day that wanted to do business with us a few months ago. Needless to say, he has a serious case of manana-itis and our deal went on without him.

Friends, family and business contacts will have a lot more respect when you do as you say you are going to do. Not living up to your word simply destroys credibility earned to that point in a relationship.

Is there a cure for manana-itis? Certainly. Be honest with yourself and those around you. If you don't want to do something, simply have the courage to express it.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Stephan, I must say I enjoy your work and your writing. You have brought a refreshing atmosphere to the forum.

Now, I sadly admit I have not been a long-timer visiting Mexico. I have come here off and on for about five years.
I have learned, because of this forum to really appreciate the place and more so the people. I find them to be friendly,
helpful and willing to smile at the drop of a smile toward them. I am pleased to say, I don't do business here, nor do I
want to.

Part of the charm of Mexicon is their culture. Part of their culture is mananaitis. I, in a million years wouldn't want to
change that. It's the way these dear people live and they appear to me to be quite well adjusted to it. It took me a short
while to adjust to this and I find it might be a little contagious into my life. I'm just not in that big a hurry anymore.

As I watch my type Alpha wife in constant motion, I say, "what's your hurry?" We're going to get to the end game soon enough.
Stephan, these are wonderful folks and maybe we can learn from them, rather than visa versa.

I applaud you and your endevours..keep up the good work, but relax and enjoy the ride...Have a pickle.

playaperro

El Pirata
Please tear down the worthless unfinished towers around Penasco and beaches and make a fresh start. City would look allot better.

mis2810

I think there's a difference between the "mañana" attitude and credibility. The difference is expectations. Just because someone says they're going to do it mañana, doesn't mean they'll never do it. There will always be those people who are just blowing smoke and never intend to keep their word, but that's different than I'll get to it tomorrow, which turns out to be 7 days later. JMHO.

Kenny

I think there's a difference between the "mañana" attitude and credibility. The difference is expectations. Just because someone says they're going to do it mañana, doesn't mean they'll never do it. There will always be those people who are just blowing smoke and never intend to keep their word, but that's different than I'll get to it tomorrow, which turns out to be 7 days later. JMHO.
Right, mañana doe's not literally mean tomorrow. It can be tomorrow or even seven day's into the future when someone says I'll see you mañana.

Roberto

Many American people are notoriously arrogant in pushing their values on people from different cultures. They llike to be in control. Sometimes it is very obvious , sometimes its subtle. Just because people do not jump when you think they should does not mean that your values are better than theirs. Different, yes, and that's a good thing. Tolerance and patience go a long way to a happy life. Trying to control other people is not a good thing, I think. Its funny to hear people say " Well in the US we..........." I say well go back there then if you find it uncomfortable here. I hear Chicago is nice !!

Now here is a good example. GV trying to get people to eat pickles of all things !!!

Please don't say Manana if you don't mean it.........

Part of the charm of Mexicon is their culture. Part of their culture is mananaitis. I, in a million years wouldn't want to
change that. It's the way these dear people live and they appear to me to be quite well adjusted to it. It took me a short
while to adjust to this and I find it might be a little contagious into my life. I'm just not in that big a hurry anymore.
I like that thinking!

I used to get stressed out trying to get something done with the different local agencys. Then one of my old-timer neighbors explained to me that down here, the folks don't really care about the end result, it is all about the process. I can accept that even if I do not agree with it and it does make me less pissed-off when it takes eons to get something completed.

I had a friend who entered the Peace Corp after he graduated from Architecture school. My friend was placed in Sierra Leone in the 70's. My friend said that compared to Sierra Leone, Mexico is juiced on high octane caffeine. At the time, at least in my friends experience in Africa, a promise of meeting later today may mean the meeting happens several days down the road. An agreed upon delivery of tomorrow may come in a week or maybe even two. It was just the way of life. Drove my friend crazy because he was trying to build a community building. I have heard worse about some of the states in the former Soviet Union that had previously operated under communism and are struggling to actually have to produce for a living. All in all, the Mañana-itis drives me crazy but if you communicate well in Mexico you can usually work out the timing to you're liking.

Roberto,
That's a bit arrogant.

You want me to move to Chicago because I refuse to do business with those that have a difficult time with honesty? I'm expected to just accept sub-standard service because you believe it is acceptable?

We are about to turn the page on 2012 Roberto, and the world economy has never been more tightly bound together. Our company has programmers in Asia, scouts in Europe, readers in Canada, and fools like me writing about hockey in places like Sault Ste. Marie Ontario and Puerto Penasco.

Mexico and Puerto Penasco has an excellent opportunity to take advantage of their best assets, the people. I don't have to develop acceptance for unreliable business practices, I can simply secure the services of others that can also do the job on time and at a fair price.

I happen to believe that this community could be a major telecommunications center that caters to companies that have a heavy bilingual customer base. Residents here are in a perfect position to handle calls from Latin America as well as Canada and United States. For obvious reasons, there are a ton of deportees that would be an excellent labor source for these centers. We are talking about jobs that pay a decent wage. Manana-itis will chase those jobs away.

Roberto, please don't be offended while I simply flush what you had to say with the rest of the waste.

Kenny

Roberto, please don't be offended while I simply flush what you had to say with the rest of the waste.
Ha, there you are, I was wondering when the real Steve was going to pop out again.... After getting a bad taste in my mouth after reading your stuff when you first arrived, I've been amazed that you've been able to stay in charactor for so long.

Ha, there you are, I was wondering when the real Steve was going to pop out again.... After getting a bad taste in my mouth after reading your stuff when you first arrived, I've been amazed that you've been able to stay in charactor for so long.
Kenny, what did I say that showed my "true colors?" Because I elect to not pay attention to Roberto's suggestion that we move back to the states if I can't accept a lack of professionalism? I have to flush an amazing amount of BS everyday, are you trying to say that you or others don't do the same thing?

I also went back over every post I ever shared with this site; what could you possibly have found an issue with or are you just simply making crap up? Really, I'm curious.

The person on this keyboard, is the exact same person you will get when you meet me, or if you read me. I post using my real name because I do not have to create another persona to express who I am, or who I want others to think I am. It is much easier to just be myself.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Well, my ONLY problem with manana is that it's often due to a lack of planning. Case in point - take a vacation, tow the boat down to San Carlos to fish a tournament, put the boat in the marina. I can hear the reels already screaming in my mind from a marlin strike, yeah, I'm stoked!! Pull over to the marina Pemex... no gas. What? You've got like a 45 bazillion liter tank sitting there and there's NO gas? That's right, amigo. Okay, it's Mexico, go with the flow, these things happen. When do you expect to have gas? Manana, of course. Three days later in this case, the starting day of the tournament, they finally get gas. There's no way you can tell me they didn't know there was a big tournament coming that weekend, hell, they'd known for months! But, somebody, somewhere, dropped the ball and didn't make sure they had any gas in advance.

Manana... it's frustrating at times, but I never lose any sleep over it.

And Stephen, pay no attention to Kenny. It would appear a bridge somewhere is suddenly missing its troll. :puff:

El Gato

A good Penasco friend was explaining the difference been a Mexican and a Norte Americano.

It is a beautiful warm day - great beach weather. The kid says to his Dad, "Don't go to work today - lets go to the beach!"

The Mexican Dad looks at the kid, looks at the waiting beach, looks at his waiting work and says, "Okay, you are right, today is a good beach day. Tomorrow will be a good work day." and off they go to the beach.

The Norte Americano looks at the kid, looks at the waiting beach, looks at his waiting work and says, "Son, I really need to get this work done. Tomorrow might be a good beach day and we can go then."

Different cultures have different priorities.

ddez

When We lived in Hawaii we worked on Hawiian time. If its a good beach day the beach will win everytime

GV Jack

Snorin God
And Stephen, pay no attention to Kenny. It would appear a bridge somewhere is suddenly missing its troll. [/QU0TE]

And Stuart...would that be a TROLL BRIDGE?????? :rofl: