Major Fly Infestation

rplarry

This last week and even today we have had a major fly infestation in Las Conchas so much so you can't even go outside without being swarmed with big black flies. I have read that Las Conchas HOA has donated 30 bags of lime for the dump, but this has hardly helped at all. If the City of Puerto Penasco wants tourism to continue to rise they must do something about this fly and dump problem.
Does anyone have an updated or current report on the flies in Las Conchas? We have family going down this weekend and we were thinking about joining them but with it being cold and flies on top of it, not sure that sounds so great?

Any update on the flies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cortez2

Even with the rain yesterday it did not hamper the fly population. It is impossible to sit on your deck without being swarmed by flies.

rplarry

Even with the rain yesterday it did not hamper the fly population. It is impossible to sit on your deck without being swarmed by flies.
What a bummer. Thank you for this info Cortez!

Does anyone know if citronella candles or any other trick might work to keep these pests away?

falsent

I miss Duna's
Does anyone know if the HOA or the town is doing anything about it? Is there anyone we can get involved?

mondone

Whitecaps
Just out of curiosity, how much did it rain yesterday? I had roofing being torn off by a handyman yesterday and hopefully will have new foam roof applied today by a roofing
company. Hope I'm not in trouble! :think:

Does anyone remember seeing clear plastic bags, such as a BAGGIE sandwich bag filled with water and hanging from a string, on the patios of local business'... I once asked what was the purpose of this, and was told it keeps the flys away... and as I recall there were no flys around...

it doesn't kill them but it may bring some releif to the constant annoyance of flies buzzing your head and landing on the top of your beer can.... (just a thought)

Cortez2

Mondon
It rained yesterday enough to make the main road muddy, and left puddles in my driveway.
The sun is shining bright today, hopefully your new roof is OK

DeeDee

Does anyone remember seeing clear plastic bags, such as a BAGGIE sandwich bag filled with water and hanging from a string, on the patios of local business'... I once asked what was the purpose of this, and was told it keeps the flys away... and as I recall there were no flys around...

it doesn't kill them but it may bring some releif to the constant annoyance of flies buzzing your head and landing on the top of your beer can.... (just a thought)
I remember, & still see some business do that. If possible try to hang near windows, the extra reflection from the glass really bugs the pests.

Roberto

I make tiny little notes "Please Flies Not allowed" and place them all over. That seems to work as I don' t have flies.

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
I remember, & still see some business do that. If possible try to hang near windows, the extra reflection from the glass really bugs the pests.
That is a great idea, flies have millions of eyes and any reflection will spook them. How about making a "mobile" using old CD's... they will think it is an attack of dragonflies from outer space....

DeeDee

That is a great idea, flies have millions of eyes and any reflection will spook them. How about making a "mobile" using old CD's... they will think it is an attack of dragonflies from outer space....
too funny,lol.
the fly has two eyes, one on each side of its head. each eye is a compound eye meaning the same facet is repeated 800 times (for fruit flies), each facet is called an ommatidia or simple eye. each ommatidia is composed of a set of photoreceptor neurons that detect light.
I bet Roberto's flies wear glasses! just a guess

MIRAMAR

Seadweller, about the bag- are you talking about the bags you purchase at Home Depot? You add water, and hang up the bag- they stink, but capture flies.

These were just regular clear plastic bags... they didn't stink or capture the flies, they just scared them off...

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
too funny,lol.
the fly has two eyes, one on each side of its head. each eye is a compound eye meaning the same facet is repeated 800 times (for fruit flies), each facet is called an ommatidia or simple eye. each ommatidia is composed of a set of photoreceptor neurons that detect light.
I bet Roberto's flies wear glasses! just a guess
OK, a million is high.... here is the Yahoo answer;

>>>In an insects eye, there are many facets called ommatidia that each have a corneal lens (like the cornea in humans), crystalline cone (like the lens in humans), rhabdom (like the photoreceptors in humans), and a retinula cell.

However, even though their eyes have all these surfaces, the insect sees one single image and not a kalidescope of images like movies often portray. Insects have a very wide field of view and are great at detecting motion, but they are poor at seeing clearly at only about 20/1200.

Beetles have about 300 ommatidia, a dragonfly has about 25,000, a fruit fly has about 800, a horsefly has about 10,000<<<

Bottom line is each Rocky point beach fly has 10,000 eyes. But since they are never alone but swarm in groups of 1,000 minimum, that is one million eyes looking at you..

Terry C

Just put 5 or 6 beer bottles away from you with a little bit of beer in them and it will fill up fast. I did it with one. Try it you will be amazed. Flies like to drink too.

Jim

I took my family to the water park outside of town several years ago (when it was still open). We brought a gallon of that orange juice wannabe drink. As soon as we opened it, we were immediately overwhelmed by bees. After about 15 minutes, we thought about just leaving but I put the jug next to the fence about 50' away and the bees (and flys) hung out there and left us completely alone.