Manny's has closed.......

The Sandbar used to get pretty busy during the week, more so on the weekend, but that just recently closed. A two-story, mostly glass building just across from Manny's is consistently open, but it's mostly locals and more Mexican and hip-hop music (The Ice House, or is it Ice Box?). Manny's is great during the day, especially when there's a few sporting events on, kind of hit-and-miss at night. Most of the action is back on the Malecon; scattered bars across from Penasco del Sol on Calle 13; or Chango's near the Sonoran resorts on Sandy Beach. It's less of a wait-in-line nightlife in Penasco these days and more of a make-your-own-party atmosphere. Random patches of people here and there.

My advice is, instead of jumping from bar to bar trying to chase some elusive "scene," or the "happening spot," like back in the day, just find somewhere you enjoy that makes good drinks, plays your kind of music, make some new friends and savor the moment.

Roberto

Gringo Zona Sez; My advice is, instead of jumping from bar to bar trying to chase some elusive "scene," or the "happening spot," like back in the day, just find somewhere you enjoy that makes good drinks, plays your kind of music, make some new friends and savor the moment.

I agree with that with the way things are here today. Granada del Mar was my favorite when I used to visit. Ground level, right on the beach, can't beat that.

If you seek a place that is rockin like in the old days, sorry, but that is not the norm any longer. Dead days are Monday through Wednesday with things picking up Thursday through Sat night. Sunday is sometimes OK, prolly good with the holiday.

Nearby in the Mirador, the Ice Box (the glass place that used to be MOAB burger joint) has had the most activity in the Mirador as described above. Late night and rockin, inside and in the streets, mainly locals. Worth a look

Pink Cadillac in the Mirador has been open sporatically on weekends but not much activity.

Newly opened by Jill, former owner of the Sandbar, is Pinky's down stairs at the pool in Pink Cadillac. Stopped by there and it looked like the old Sanbar and Black dog crowd.

Hooters toopless club, the old Blue Zebra topless club is righ there also.

Check out Mannys while you are walking the Mirador, might get hoppin.

You can stroll down Sinaloa to Capones, about 5 blocks. Varied menu, varied beers. American style bar, sports on multiple TVs, Oldies music playing and sometimes loud drinking going on. Probably the most popular place for Gringos these days.

End of Calle 13 I like Max's and the Sunset Cantina. You can walk the 100 yards between the two. Max's has a nice laid back atmosphere and good food with a nice band playing Thursday thru Sunday. EAt inside or out. The drummer, Ruben, is one of the best you will ever see, and if you are lucky the waitress, Julianna, will sing. Usually has a good crowd of locals and visitors. WiFi and free Vonage calls for customers. Thursday is half price chicken wings and it is often mobbed by locals.

Sunset Cantina, next to Max's is owned by the Shark Bite people, nice atmosphere and they have had a really good guy playing guitar and singing a nice selection of songs. Often there will be local girls here. There is a restaurant downstairs that will serve up in the bar, never tried it.

Nearby to Max's is the Barra Vieja, a local joint that starts hoppin after midnight. Live band, tequila and dancing. Ya gotta try it. Entrance is next to Kino's market and there is not much signage. You'll think you are in the wrong place.

There is a new local joint opened on Calle 13 that I have not gone to yet. When they are open the street is jammed with parked cars. It's upstairs across from Chulas topless joint, you will hear the music from the street.

Bryan's on Fremont right hand side toward La Conchas is an American style sports bar with decent food, a nice atmosphere, and always sports going on 5 or 6 big screens. Prime Rib special on Friday nights but go early.

Relax and enjoy.

cwalsh

Thank you Roberto! i heard Baja Cantina was super busy during sprink break.. Last time i was down there for memorial day two years ago that was the case then also, i guess i will just have to wait and see for myself, But i appreciate all the info everyone!

Roberto

Yeah, you can do a bar crawl from the hotel to the Baja one evening. Hope you don't get stuck at Hooters!!

Yes, we stayed across from Baja Cantina during Spring Break, it was pretty busy. Had to scare off a few wandering kids who thought our pool/jacuzzi was public. They made a big deal about BC reopening for Spring Break, so it's doubtful if it'd still be open. And thanks for the info on Pinky's, Roberto! Do they have horseshoes in the back, like at the old Sandbar?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
no horse shoes for pinky's but they have started the tournament at Pitaya on wednesday, Roberto are you sure that Jill was the owner of Sandbar? I thouth it was Joe and Barb from Scottsdale.

yola

We are in rp and mannys has a big "we,re open" sign in driveway!!!! Maybe just open for holiday week ends? People were eating so it was open! Already had eaten but will definitely be there tomorrow for bloody

We are in rp and mannys has a big "we,re open" sign in driveway!!!! Maybe just open for holiday week ends? People were eating so it was open! Already had eaten but will definitely be there tomorrow for bloody
Manny's re-opened for spring break/semana santa....and the word was that they would remain open for the summer.....

Roberto

no horse shoes for pinky's but they have started the tournament at Pitaya on wednesday, Roberto are you sure that Jill was the owner of Sandbar? I thouth it was Joe and Barb from Scottsdale.
Well since I do not know Jill that is second hand information from me. Someone told me Jill was behind the bar working.

Kenny

I started a thread that says manny's is open. lets go with that!
But your little saying is "Wherever you go, there you are!", and I like "when you come to a fork in the road, take it!". So what say "lets go with that".:think:

yeah, may want to start a new thread for that special. if a person is unfamiliar to forums (and you always want to assume your reader is not as web savvy as yourself), chances are they're only going to read the first entry or page.

DeniseAck

I also put this in the "pictures" section-- a photo of Manny's from Google Earth's Panoramio photos taken in 2004

rocky point 2004 @ Manny's.jpg