medical emergencies

M

m4shawn

OK here is another what if question I have for this collectively wise RP riff-raff group: what would you do if you had a medical emergency in PP? Asking for both manageable incidents like stitches, asthma attacks, burns..... or an even (god forbid) worse accident that called for immediate transport to an American hospital.

Would you find the nearest phone that didn't encumber you with credit card hoops to jump through and dial 066 - or the Red Cross directly? Do the bomberos take you to the Red Cross facility or is there a hospital or urgent care in PP? Is there a better place to seek out and where are they, if you are capable of driving the patient there?

How efficiently are emergency transports to the U.S. handled there?

I'd like to advise friends and players, not to mention know myself what the steps are to getting medical help there.

Thanks all.

M

m4shawn

I just scanned the thread "Ajo Ambulence" and see a lot of information along the lines of what i am asking, but I'd still like to get some more specifics on how to get in contact with emergency services and where to go.

I see acouple references to a clinic on Fremont Blvd - is this the facility of choice - is it the Red Cross station?

The facility on Fremont is the One Stop Medical Clinic. It's in the Fremont Plaza in the back on the left-hand side. Dr Al Aburto is in charge there and he speaks fluent English, as do the others who work there. The staff includes Isaac Celaya, paramedic; Rafael Celaya, x-ray tech; Hector does all lab work and Javier mans the office. I have been a patient there since it opened, when another doctor was in charge. He's gone now.

Years ago I fell in the parking lot at Las Palomas. This was at night and my head broke like a melon tossed from five-feet-five-inches up. It was after hours, on a weekend, and before One Stop existed.

As I laid in a puddle of blood, an ambulance was called. They automatically took me to the Clinica Santa Fe. The facilities aren't as shiny and new as One Stop, but I got stitched up and kept overnight for observation. Dr Jose Luis Contreras is a good doctor and now a friend of mine. His wife Ely is the administrator. They both speak English.

In an emergency I would not hesitate to take a loved one to either of these.

Sometimes ambulances here take people to the San Jose clinic. I don't have reason to doubt that the facility is okay, but I think the first two are still better options. I suggest the next time you have a minute down here you go by and check out either or both of these.

CLINICA SANTA FE: 638-383-4040
ONE-STOP MEDICAL: 638-383-4422

I would agree with the above post, and also use the Red Cross.

There is a hospital in town, with an ER, but have no info on it. Located out by the first light coming into town.....you would take the left fork coming in to town, and a couple of blocks down, turn left...it's several blocks off the main street. Have to take a look at the map and get some street names when I get home.

M

m4shawn

thanks!

That's great Rosy, thank you. I will go by both of those next time I'm in PP. Glad you recovered!

A

azbeachboy

My Brother in law had a Grand Mal seizure at the Granada Del Mar. The office called for a ambulance. The ambulance arrived very quickly and very professional. He was taken to the San Jose clinic and given three iv's and medication. Mike spent 11-12 hours at the clinic. The total cost of the ambulance ride and the clinic was around $175.00 U.S. The doctors spoke English and we were impressed with the health care.
A friend of my Mom's had a full face lift done for $5000.00 U.S. in R.P. The results were fantastic. The after care was very good also.

M

m4shawn

what number to call?

OK now that I've got a few good suggestions and anecdotes about facilities, let me ask - if I am the one doing the dialing (number pushing), what should I dial?
Does 066 work?