Medicinal Marijuana

Does anyone here know if there is an issue with bringing Medicinal Marijuana into Mexico? A few years back, Mexico decriminalized up to 5oz of possession so there is little issue carrying while in the country. However crossing the border may be another story. While I doubt Mexico is too worried about Americans bring marijuana into the country (I have never seen sniffing dogs on the other side), can you see any issue for a card carrying holder to bring their medicine across the border?

Terry C

we seen two people get nailed by the sniffing dog at Lukeville. that dog went nuts when it was brought over to the car. cuffed and away they went.

It's 5 GRAMS not ounces. Even if there is no dog at the border crossing I have seen a dog with the military at various random highway checkpoints over the years. It's not worth the risk.

we seen two people get nailed by the sniffing dog at Lukeville. that dog went nuts when it was brought over to the car. cuffed and away they went.
Were they nailed entering into Mexico? I haven't seen dogs sniffing leaving the U.S., only entering at the border.

It's 5 GRAMS not ounces. Even if there is no dog at the border crossing I have seen a dog with the military at various random highway checkpoints over the years. It's not worth the risk.

Your right, it is 5 grams. I guess my question is if you are carrying a small amount (under 5 grams) is this a risk given marijuana has been decriminalized in Mexico?

Roberto

You can try it and then let us know. Might be a few years before you get the chance to respond !! Or maybe they have internet in the corrections facilities now. Seriously, it might be determined to be legal but might be a huge hassle, short wait in a jail, etc. Prolly not worth the trouble when you can surely fill your need here in Mexico.

I guess my question was mostly around risk...I have never seen a dog at the border going in or on the Mexico side. If you carry a small amount, under 5 grams, and had a medical card (for the US side) was this even really a risk to bring into Mexico.

Not sure I would feel comfortable with a local source either...that has its own risk/reward issues.

All solid advice...and will stick to Tequila for my medicinal purposes!

MIRAMAR

I have never seen a dog at the border going in or on the Mexico side.
Are you kidding? I've seen drug dogs several times crossing over- mostly coming in, but I've seen a few times leaving the U.S.

For the longest time they had a black sheperd in a pen sitting just next to the declare lane entering MX. On occassion you would see that dog checking out cars. I have not seen that dog, or the one on the US side, in a while but my guess is either one would more than likely be on duty the day you were trying to cross. Of course, nothing like that ol' adrenalin rush to get you going as you slow down approaching either the exit or entry point. As long as your medical condition isn't heart related you should be ok.

AZJD

I crossed the border last week and there was a German Shepard customs dog on the Mexico side on both my way into Mexico and back into Arizona.

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
I guess my question was mostly around risk...I have never seen a dog at the border going in or on the Mexico side..................
Believe me, they have sniffing dogs in both sides of the border in USA and in Mexico, the dogs might not be on sight all the time but they are there if they want to use them, my personal experience is that they have at least 2 dogs in Mexico customs, one that sniffs explosives and gun related items and a second for and the person in uniform asks for the money, not as a "mordida" but if you have 10 k or more, however generally they only ask about the money in the USA side, mexicans do not care if you spent it all or only half in Mexico, as long as you spend some!!

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
The US Border Patrol is using a sniffing dog on every car crossing into Mexico now. Looking for guns, money and drugs. Don't even do it! I bet they catch more casual pot users than hard core criminals with those dogs. I do hope they are stopping some of the guns and ammo though.