Memorial Day Weekend in Penasco.

JimMcG

Well Known Member
I am curious to know if the publicity had an adverse affect on US visitors to Rocky point, and would like to hear from those of you who were there.:thumbsup:

Thanks.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I don't know about money changing hands but I will say that there were many people. The Mirador appeared very busy on Sat. night, the streets were full of parked cars. Calle 13 had lots of traffic too. It appeared to me, based on license plates that there were many Mexicans in town. Other informal reports were that there was a lot of traffic coming into town. Las Conchas definately had a lot more occupied homes than any typical weekend.

Terry C

Well Known Member
The 10:00 AM border wait showed 1.17 hours.... I would say 15 minutes on way or another they way they keep it up..

I think the public is finally fed up with all the bogus news reports about it not being safe to visit Rocky Point... from what I witnessed over the weekend we should change the name of the town to Rocking Point...

dwig222

Well Known Member
I think the public is finally fed up with all the bogus news reports about it not being safe to visit Rocky Point... from what I witnessed over the weekend we should change the name of the town to Rocking Point...
That's good to hear, my shrimp supply will run out by October. I need to make some reservations!

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
The Border Crossing website is showing a 2 hour delay at 4 pm (allthough they haven't updated in 1 1/2 hrs......as usual!!!)...so it must have been busy!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
in our way into RP there were a lot of cars coming from Tucson, almost a caravan all the way from Tucson and when we got to Why even worst it triple at least, Sure I am glad to see that people is realizing that the warning 2 weeks prior to the holidays are just lies!! then again after 3 years of lies anybody will catch up to it, JUST LIES!! Mirador was almost full, the boat ramps were empty luckly!! and the best part it seems like there were people averywhere which was good for PP, on Friday we went to eat to the malecon and it was packed!!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I know my chiropractor canceled plans for next weekend so the warning is having an effect.
It is fair to say that the effect is there but not nearly what the consulate wanted in the way of killing the town. From everybody I have talked to the place was a pumpin. People who stay home because of what they hear on the news are not living their life, they are living under someone elses control, get out there and live for goodness sake.

jmcdtucson

Well Known Member
It is fair to say that the effect is there but not nearly what the consulate wanted in the way of killing the town. From everybody I have talked to the place was a pumpin. People who stay home because of what they hear on the news are not living their life, they are living under someone elses control, get out there and live for goodness sake.
Yeah, it's really unfortunate - this wasn't a person who is scared of his own shadow or is uninformed. But unless you're one of the very few who read a site like this or know some one in RP, your only information is through the media.

For the sake of the folks there, I'm glad to hear the tourist traffic was strong. We'll be down next week to add to it. Hope it's not too hot, we won't have AC. :-D

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Yeah, it's really unfortunate - this wasn't a person who is scared of his own shadow or is uninformed. But unless you're one of the very few who read a site like this or know some one in RP, your only information is through the media.

For the sake of the folks there, I'm glad to hear the tourist traffic was strong. We'll be down next week to add to it. Hope it's not too hot, we won't have AC. :-D
Having lived for a while now I have determined that "too hot" is a state of mind! My house has 4 tons of A/C but they wont be on till End of July or beginning of August when the credits from the government kick in.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I've seen the Mirador a lot busier and a lot more deserted. It was a pretty good turnout altho when I came down on Friday, I got passed by a lot of Escalades, Tahoes, Subs, etc. I was in a big long line of them at the roundabout for the Mayan Palace and they all turned off and left me alone going on in to town. I guess the condos were a lot busier but I didn't go look. I did go downtown to the Malecon once while I was there and I was glad I had 4 wheel drive! I went up on the high road under the restaurants to get back to the main drag and had to drive around a bulldozer preparing the road bed. I tried to back up and turn around but the guy on the Dozer waved me around him. I had to drive in 2 feet of sand at a 40 degree angle and when I got around him, he just smiled and yelled "Jeep!" and gave me the thumbs up. I've done a lot of things in Mexico over the last 45 years and now I can say I went 4 wheeling in old port. LOL!

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I heard of it a year or so ago, how come they don't do that in USA with the gasoline!! like cut the taxes by half!! :eek3: