Mexican Cell Phone Registration?

Terry C

Have you heard about the new requirement of TelCel cell phone registrations? According to xxx, who was into TelCel today to sign up for Internet service, there is a new requirement by the Mexican Government for ALL cell phones to be registered with the service provider. They must be registered, at TelCel, by April 10th to avoid having service cut off. This applies only to cell phones. He stated that Americans (the owner of the phone), must bring in the phone and their Passport so it can be documented. They (TelCel) then send a text message acknowledging the registration.

xxxx indicated that he was told that apparently the Government is cracking down on the phone industry to try and get rid of the drug traffickers who use the disposable or throw away phones. The registration program is a step in providing some regulation on the phones.

xxxx asked me to contact you since he is without Internet service presently and wanted you to know because of the approaching April 10th deadline so that people can be informed. He was talking to xxxx and she confirmed that she to also register her phone, so it applies to Mexican Nationals, as well as the Americans.

Since AT&T connects to TelCel ?????

Your comments ?

dmcauley

Kinda like taking down the repeater so that the traffickers won't use the radio. A real boost to tourism.

TelCel was "registering" the SIM cards last summer.....was having some problems with our Amigo phones, and had to show passport to get service.....however, I was able to get a lower in-town rate as a result (something like 1 peso per minute).

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I was at telcel office last week and it is true their phones, as well as anybody elses, has to be registered, mexican, american or who ever owns one has to register it, it is the new law and must be done by the dateline or no more service!!

I was at telcel office last week and it is true their phones, as well as anybody elses, has to be registered, mexican, american or who ever owns one has to register it, it is the new law and must be done by the dateline or no more service!!
Has anybody checked with their US cellphone providers on this matter??? As far as I know, AT&T and T-Mobile are the only ones able to access the Telcel network on a roaming basis.....

Terry,

We have not heard of this and will not be able to get down there before the 10th. Do you know of any way to register it without going in person?

JimMcG

I use ATT cel in the US and in Mexico and when I called ATT customer sevice, I was told that if we are using roaming in Mexico, with a Mexican tower, we are already registered. This was after the rep checked with someone else and so I can't say that I am totally confident that they really know the correct answer.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
as per AT&T any customer with any of the mexican plans does not have to worry, the telcel registration applies to mexican phones only, when I say mexican phones only means services/plans purchase in Mexico by canadians, mexicans, americans or any type of cans!! :eek3: