Mexican Health Insurance

I am looking to buy health insurance in Mexico and know nothing about it. Do any of you have any experience with it?

ProAlliance sells Mexican health insurance from a variety of providers. My assistant Paty Andrade will be happy to answer any questions you have. You can call her at 602.773.1031. As in the U.S., rates for health insurance depend on age, current health, habits and weight. For lots of Baby Boomers the price can be outrageous, so about a year ago we began looking for other options.

One such option is the Mexican Health Care System (IMSS). Non-Mexicans can pay an annual fee and qualify for the program. The fee is tons lower than insurance would be...if I'm not mistaken, under $700 for 2 people per year. One of my employees, Alex Moreno, walks our clients through the registration process (for a fee) to help with the paperwork and language. It's not the most convenient system in the world, but at least you know you have that to fall back on if you should need it. To date, we've had 10 people opt for that instead of traditional health insurance.

To discuss the IMSS program, call Alex on Saturdays between 10am-2pm at the above number. Paty is available to discuss insurance during regular business hours Mon-Sat.

Kea

We're looking into that option as well. For us, the cost is around $250 per person per year. The next tier (based on age) is around $350. Sorry, I don't remember the age cut-off -- maybe 55 or 60???? You do have to have at least an FM3 Visa -- not just the FMM.

What we're thinking right now is that when my FM3 comes up for renewal next year, we'll get one for my husband (so that we are on the same renewal cycle). At that point, we'll probably sign up for the IMSS.

Even adding in the cost of the visa and paying Alex's fee, it is still a whole lot cheaper than our US insurance. And worth the peace of mind if something major happens while we are in Mexico.

I would be interested to hear comments from people already using IMSS -- good, bad, and otherwise!

Who/where are the services provided? I have friends (Mexican national) who would go to Obregon to get any significant medical care....

Who/where are the services provided? I have friends (Mexican national) who would go to Obregon to get any significant medical care....
Alex is my in-house expert and so I have to defer detailed questions to him at our office. If you want, Joe, send me an email and I'll put you in direct communication with him. This goes for anyone else who might be interested, as well.

playaperro

El Pirata
i know a few things about the social security hospitals in mexico and personally had a very bad experience with them. they do sell a policy in mexico that is excepted here in the us and mexico runs about $2000 bucks a year. i would ask Rosy- agent about that one. Most business people buy that one.

Kea

One policy for US and Mexico? That sounds interesting. Is it hard to qualify for? Say with major or minor pre-existing conditions?

playaperro

El Pirata
pre-existing condition are a no no in mexico they wont cover that since they are hooked up they will know about it.

The IMSS program excludes pre-existing conditions for only the first year or two and then they're covered. Mel150 on here is one of those who've signed up. I'll ask if she can post about this, since there are gaps in my knowledge. The $2000 figure isn't across the board. We get a lot of retirement-age clients and the cost for them is much higher than the typical businessman. It really is determined by the factors mentioned above in my first post on the subject: age, health and habits. Sorry to say, but some people are uninsureable. IMSS will take everyone, regardless of age or health. It isn't something I'd recommend for your average doctor visits or if you catch a cold, but for that low a cost, it might be worth it to know you've got it if something serious happens.

Obviously I'd make more money selling the insurance, but if this is better for you, then this is what you should have.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Great info Dawg!!! although the prices might be a little different as the article was written back on 2008, it is good to know that you do not need to be Mexican to take advantage of the medical services they offered.

For years I had an excema or break out that will happen every years for 2 or 3 month on my hands and the USA doctors kept on telling me to put Lotrimin? fungus cream on it with no results, I use a dermatologist in Rocky Point, he gave me a cream he developed and within 2 weeks of using it, twice a day, the excema was gone and it has been for 4 years since the last episode I had, the cream was expensive however very cheap compare to the years of lotrimine? and doctors appointments leading to nothing or the typical "I don't know, lets check this remedy" from the USA medical system!!

MIRAMAR

I know a Mexican woman who has breast cancer, and is being treated in major city in an IMSS hospital not in Penasco. Apparently she had something suspicious on her lungs, and they had to not only do a biopsy, but remove some tissue. This is according to her: One hour after the operation, they told her to get out of the hospital- "there were too many people and she needed to get out". She said she could barely move.

Last edited:

Kea

I'm interested in the eczema cream, too. I have a friend (in TX) that has has eczema non-stop for the last several years. US doctors try all sorts of things and she gets no relief. I doubt I could ever get her to go to Peñasco, but I would be happy to pick some up for her. Would it require a prescription?

MIRAMAR

I also have eczema, and the only thing that works, other than a swim in the Sea of Cortez, is Triamcinalone cream- hydrocortisone cream from US and it's cheap- use sparingly.

mel150

Hi, all, can only talk about our experience getting it. We haven't used it yet, because I wanted it only for emergencies requiring hospitalizations, or major medical events like surgeries. For other things I use my doctor here in town, Dr. Aburto, who is honestly one of the best doctors I've ever had. I will need a hip replacement in a few years, and for that I'll go through IMSS.

We used Alex as our liaison to get the IMSS. You need your FM3 or FM2, and a copy of a bill. Alex gets the forms for you, and you can fill those out at Rosie's office. On the form, you do have to fill out existing conditions, and if you neglect one, they can decline you service and cancel your account. Then Alex takes you to the IMSS office on Melchor Ocampo across from the Lux Pharmacy. Expect a couple of hours there as they fill out paperwork, but Alex will field all questions. It's true, it will take a year after getting the card (which is more like a booklet) before they will allow pre-existing conditions, but then you're ok.

After that session, Alex makes an appointment for you with the doctor at the new hospital, and goes with you for your visit. For some reason they ended up skipping this step for us, because the doctor was on vacation I think. But usually you would get a checkup and then a few weeks later receive your booklet. For us it's about $350 a year, we're in our fifties. Alex was reasonable, but I can't remember how much his services cost, it would probably be different for everyone anyhow. I hope that helps!

Landshark

I also have eczema, and the only thing that works, other than a swim in the Sea of Cortez, is Triamcinalone cream- hydrocortisone cream from US and it's cheap- use sparingly.
Have you tried cold laser treatments? My neighbor is a chiropractor and told me he is seeing very good results treating eczema. His before & after pictures were amazing.