Mexican Politics- Heads up, its an election year!

This year Mexicans in Sonora will be electing a new Governor and in Puerto Penasco a new mayor. Unlike in the States, where campaigning can seem to go on forever, in Mexico the process is very, very fast.

The process is interesting, yes...but also important for all who care about the future of this community, especially if you live here, own property, or do business here. In fact, if you don't live, work, or own here, the state of public safety (especially from police) is still huge.

I urge you to be informed.
"If you have no vote, use your voice!"

E

El Feo

PitiquitoRosy said:
This year Mexicans in Sonora will be electing a new Governor and in Puerto Penasco a new mayor. Unlike in the States, where campaigning can seem to go on forever, in Mexico the process is very, very fast.

The process is interesting, yes...but also important for all who care about the future of this community, especially if you live here, own property, or do business here. In fact, if you don't live, work, or own here, the state of public safety (especially from police) is still huge.

I urge you to be informed.
"If you have no vote, use your voice!"
Be aware that non Mexicans who interfere with or become involved with partisian politics can be asked to leave the country.

El Feo said:
Be aware that non Mexicans who interfere with or become involved with partisian politics can be asked to leave the country.
Right, anyone who understands true democracy would not and should not try to influence people how to use their votes. But people who live, work, invest, and are otherwise a part of this community should be heard. Numbers always count. They do in the States, and they will in Mexico. The first step is being informed.

E

El Feo

PitiquitoRosy said:
El Feo said:
But people who live, work, invest, and are otherwise a part of this community should be heard. (quote)

I'll be more specific: Non Mexicans are not only oficially discouraged from participating in Mexican politics but are, I believe PROHIBITED from doing so. You can lose your Mexican Visa, FM2 ro FM3 and be escourted OUT OF THE COUNTRY!

El Feo said:
I'll be more specific: Non Mexicans are not only oficially discouraged from participating in Mexican politics but are, I believe PROHIBITED from doing so. You can lose your Mexican Visa, FM2 ro FM3 and be escourted OUT OF THE COUNTRY!
According to Mexican law a foreigner may not campaign for or against any candidate or political party. I certainly don't advocate walking down the street in protest, either. But it is certainly time for people who are like-minded to begin to understand the electoral process in Mexico.

I forsee a future in Puerto Penasco where people in industries other than Real Estate are also taken into account by those in political power who until now have ignored the fact that the foreigner and his dollars are very important here.

Change is possible anywhere.

E

El Feo

PitiquitoRosy said:
This year Mexicans in Sonora will be electing a new Governor and in Puerto Penasco a new mayor. Unlike in the States, where campaigning can seem to go on forever, in Mexico the process is very, very fast. "

I just checked with the elections people here in Sonora and they told me who won the election. I also called the Municipal and found out who won the car in the property tax promotion, :lol: :lol: :lol:

El Feo said:
PitiquitoRosy said:
This year Mexicans in Sonora will be electing a new Governor and in Puerto Penasco a new mayor. Unlike in the States, where campaigning can seem to go on forever, in Mexico the process is very, very fast. "

I just checked with the elections people here in Sonora and they told me who won the election. I also called the Municipal and found out who won the car in the property tax promotion, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, they keep telling me too...but I'm stubborn and keep thinking there's time to throw a fly into the ointment!

Although I do hedge my bets...didn't bother to pay my property taxes early, because I know my name isn't down there as the winner.

JimMcG

I am saying that by not paying your real estate taxes early because you do not qualify for the drawing you are also not receiving the early payment discount by your own choice. :|

JimMcG said:
I am saying that by not paying your real estate taxes early because you do not qualify for the drawing you are also not receiving the early payment discount by your own choice. :|
Sorry. Yes you're right. Most people don't pay early simply because they don't get the notice. In Mexico sometimes the notice arrives, sometimes not.

E

El Feo

[quote

Sorry. Yes you're right. Most people don't pay early simply because they don't get the notice. In Mexico sometimes the notice arrives, sometimes not.[/quote]

Yes, they hand deliver cryptic little statements,this year printed on an old dot matrix printer with a worn out ribbon. Hard to read and understand. They tuck them into gates, wherever there is a crack or maybe under a rock on a vacant lot. If you don't use that gate or are not on the premises before the next wind storm, you'll surely miss the notice. Use the Postal Service, what are you kidding :lol: :lol: :lol: There are NO street numbers. If you don't pay for aome years that gives someone in the Municipal office the opportunity to claim your land :eek: :eek: :eek:

El Feo said:
Yes, they hand deliver cryptic little statements,this year printed on an old dot matrix printer with a worn out ribbon. Hard to read and understand. They tuck them into gates, wherever there is a crack or maybe under a rock on a vacant lot. If you don't use that gate or are not on the premises before the next wind storm, you'll surely miss the notice. Use the Postal Service, what are you kidding :lol: :lol: :lol: There are NO street numbers. If you don't pay for aome years that gives someone in the Municipal office the opportunity to claim your land :eek: :eek: :eek:
Well at least you got one. Last year I accidentally paid my neighbor's property taxes. Although as low as they are, there's no excuse for not getting it paid.

K

kleist

PitiquitoRosy said:
Well at least you got one. Last year I accidentally paid my neighbor's property taxes. Although as low as they are, there's no excuse for not getting it paid.

Boy I sure wish I had a neighbor like you Rosy :D