Mexico Issues Travel Warning For Chicago

No - this is not a real headline but it should be after reading this article :

[h=1]19 people shot Thursday afternoon, Friday morning[/h][h=2][/h]By Peter Nickeas, Tribune reporter
2:06 am, August 24, 2012
Nineteen people were shot in attacks across the South and West sides between about 5:20 p.m. Thursday and 1:30 a.m. Friday - including 13 people during a single 30-minute period - according to the Chicago Police Department.

The shootings peaked between about 9:15 and 9:45 p.m. Thursday when 13 people were shot, including eight in a single incident at 79th Street and Essex Avenue about 9:30 p.m.

Police are still trying to sort out that shooting, the second of three incidents that left multiple people wounded since 8 p.m.

As of 4 a.m., none of the 19 people shot had died.

The first reported shooting Thursday afternoon left four people wounded in the Little Village neighborhood about 5:20 p.m.

Two more were wounded in the Ida B. Wells / Darrow Homes neighborhood about 8:10 p.m., police said. Two men – 27 and 33 – were shot in the 600 block of East 37th Street and taken to the University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Ron Gaines said. The younger man was shot in the head and the other in the right arm, Gaines said.

The eight people shot at 79th Street and Essex Avenue were wounded in a drive-by about 9:15 p.m., police said. The ages of the people shot ranged from 14 to 28. Seven were male.

About 9:30, two men were shot in their arms in the 2900 block of West 39th Place in the Brighton Park neighborhood. It's not clear what hospital they were taken to, Gaines said. They were wounded in a drive-by attack, police said.

And about 15 minutes later, a 24-year-old man was shot in the leg and taken to Jackson Park Hospital from the 7200 block of South Jeffery Boulevard, Gaines said. He was treated and released. The man told police he was talking on his phone when he heard a single shot and realized he was wounded.

Just after midnight, a 17-year-old was shot in the back and taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition, police said. He was walking in the 7100 block of South Vincennes Avenue in the Englewood neighborhood when someone inside a passing vehicle opened fire, police said.

Another 17-year-old was shot after 1:30 a.m. Friday in the 3500 block of West Grenshaw Street in the Homan Square neighborhood. He's in good condition at Mount Sinai Hospital. Someone walked to him and started shooting, police said.

[email protected]
Twitter: @peternickeas

A

AZ Miguel

And this has what to do with Penasco?, Oh I see, they both have a high crime rate not caused by Americans visiting these locations.

The good news is that no tourists were harmed in any of the shootouts. It's still safe to visit the south side of Chicago!

Chicago is not on my list of vacation destinations.:getlife:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Chicago is out of control right now. I posted something similar last week. The problem is, this is a near daily occurence. The numbers are staggering and it's 99.9% gang-related violence. Unfortunately, just like the cartel shootings in Mexico, there's a fair number of innocents that get caught up in the crossfire.

As far as the guns? Same ol' story... if you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns. No law is going to prevent the bad guys from getting all the guns they want. <points south of the border> Worked out so well in Mexico, didn't it?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
national ban of hand guns is the only answer

No it isn't...

A national ban on stupidity would be far more effective than a ban on hand guns.

Oh, and maybe a ban on mental illness - that should work equally well.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Pick a country....there is for sure desperation there....that creates desperadoes...If they have guns or other weapons they have the capacity to do crazy things. Posting it here does not solve it - but I guess it is fun to pontificate - it is bad whether it happens in the good ole US of A or Mexico or Canada. Live life with your eyes open.... not scared, but aware that there are crazies out there. Buen Provecho....Its Friday and I think its time for a cold one!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Don't listen to him, Russ...

When the temp is above 80 and the humidity above 70, any time's a good time for a frosty cerveza.

Heck, I'd even poor it over my Cheerios.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Geez, Russ... it's not even 9:00 AM yet!!! What the heck, it's 5:00 somewhere!! :rofl:
Well it is Friday and I have been working since 5:00 am and it is after all 9:00 am in Penasco and I have relatives in England and its like 6:00 pm there so I dont know!

Chicago is out of control right now. I posted something similar last week. The problem is, this is a near daily occurence. The numbers are staggering and it's 99.9% gang-related violence. Unfortunately, just like the cartel shootings in Mexico, there's a fair number of innocents that get caught up in the crossfire.

As far as the guns? Same ol' story... if you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns. No law is going to prevent the bad guys from getting all the guns they want. <points south of the border> Worked out so well in Mexico, didn't it?

This in the news for NYC...2 killed, 9 injured in shooting near Empire State Building - U.S. News

Oops...just saw another thread already has the link....

NY State used to have some of the toughest gun laws (Sullivan Law...I think they still do).....no pontificating here....but if someone wants to get a gun, they will....no matter what laws are on the books.

Last edited:

jerry

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]You guys are just Gay for the Pistols

Hawai'i has the lowest gun death rate in the country, according to figures released this week by the Washington-based Violence Policy Center.
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]The center, which defines itself as "a national educational organization working to stop gun death and injury," cites just-released data from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Injury Prevention and Control for the year 2007 — the most recent available — in drawing conclusions about gun death rates across the country.
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Hawai'i's gun death rate in 2007 was 2.82 per 100,000 residents, center officials said. The next lowest gun death rate, 3.51, was in Rhode Island, followed by 3.63 in Massachusetts.
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Louisiana had the nation's highest gun death rate, at 19.87, followed by Mississippi at 18.32 and Alabama at 17.62, according to the center.
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]The study also listed household gun ownership by percentage, with 9.7 percent of the homes in Hawai'i having one or more guns in the household — the lowest percentage in the country.
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]States such as Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama had the nation's highest gun ownership rates, at between 46 and 57 percent, and also had the highest gun death rates, the study found.
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]"The equation is simple: More guns lead to more gun death, but limiting exposure to firearms saves lives," Kristen Rand, the center's legislative director, said in a news release.
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]According to the Violence Policy Center's figures, the national gun death rate was 10.34 per 100,000 people in 2007.
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]"Each of the top-ranking states has lax gun laws and higher gun ownership rates. By contrast, states with strong gun laws and low rates of gun ownership had far lower rates of firearm-related death," the center's news release said.
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Hawai'i's firearm ownership laws are among the most stringent in the country. Honolulu Police Chief Louis Kealoha said that among other things, Hawai'i gun law requires a person to obtain a permit, issued by the chief of police, before he or she is allowed to buy a gun. The permitting process includes a background check and a 14-day waiting period.

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
So, what's good for Hawaii is good for everywhere else by default...?

Government by behavioral normalization via published statistics... so simple to do. Just strip everyone of their humanity, and begin governing (and treating) them the same way the rancher treats his livestock...

Fail.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Hawaii also grows some of the best and strongest pot in the world. They're too stoned to shoot anyone, brah.

(makes as much sense as Jerry's argument) :rofl:

jerry

I like hawaii...new flights from Phoenix at the 400 dollar price point...
Hawaii also grows some of the best and strongest pot in the world. They're too stoned to shoot anyone, brah.

(makes as much sense as Jerry's argument) :rofl:

jerry

The Sportsman's Guide crap..sold out..I buy a lot of my beach/outdoor stuff from them but missing the chance to get a bulletproof vest with "Policia" on it just wrecks my planned "the prepared beachdweller" photo shoot