Mirage?? On Sea of Cortez

Need a little help here. Sorry if this has been discussed before. Has anybody seen the illusion of mountains/or columns over the sea of cortez from rocky point? We stay at the Reef rv park and for the last 8 years we've seen the illusion. From the park looking toward Old Town, just to the right of Old Town over the water, it can sometimes be clearly seen.

Fairly certain its the light reflecting off the water but wondered if there was a web site I could get more info about it.

It was visable again this afternoon and even better in a pair of binoculars.

With a couple of glasses of wine it got prettier. (Kiddin) anybody else seen it?

Yeah, that's not Bird Island, Terry......
Chari... yes it is Bird Island... the humidity in the atmosphere causes a mirage like illusion mostly just before sundown... some times it looks like a big old castle out there on the water... if you look closely at Terrys photo it is just an inverted reflection of the island...

Roberto

Personally I think it's the spirit of the Olmec god Iziciltilie who is watching over us. He has created an illusion that it is an island and yes it ooks real when you go there.

If you check a map, it is officially known as Isla San Jorge.
That map will most likely also call the bay that is 11 miles to the north of the island "Bahia San Jorge" and the beach is "Playa San Jorge"... I would venture to say the name "Bird Island" was given by american tourist and sport fishermen due to the large variety of bird species that inhabit it... at one time in the far and distant past the bird guano that can be several feet deep in some areas on the island was harvested to use as an ingredient in biochemical fertilizers and other needs for phosphoros...

I have also heard the island called "Seal Island" which couldn't be any further from the truth... there are no seals on "Isla San Jorge", they are "sea lions" and there is a big difference between the two animals... even when you could see a performing seal at the Circus, it was actually a sea lion... sea lions have a dexterous foreped or flipper which enables them to prop themselves up and allows them to do the wobbling/hopping type of walking that they do... an easy tell-tale identification feature of a sea lion are its ear flaps, which are not found on a seal...

Google Translate wow she drowned while snorkeling out there.
Jerry was this in reference to the report of a drowning out at the island this past weekend..? We just received a call and were told that a woman had suffered a heart attack at the island this past weekend and was transfered from the diveboat to the navy boat and brought back to a waiting ambulance but sadly she passed away... I'm not sure if she had passed before or after she was taken away by the ambulance...

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
if you are coming to RP in the early hours as the sun is rising the mountains in the far distance to the south east, imagine you are looking towards the Mayan Palace right as you get of the turn at the Pinacate entrance, you have the same type of "espejismo" with the mountains, they look like if they are inverted and floating rather than attached to the surface ground! sorry no pics while driving!

jerry

The story from De Frente says she was 65. man in rough,cold seas (way colder than usual which is killing the fishing/shrimping this winter..down to 20% of usual) it is almost criminal to take someone that old out snorkeling......
Jerry was this in reference to the report of a drowning out at the island this past weekend..? We just received a call and were told that a woman had suffered a heart attack at the island this past weekend and was transfered from the diveboat to the navy boat and brought back to a waiting ambulance but sadly she passed away... I'm not sure if she had passed before or after she was taken away by the ambulance...

Mark....the word I heard from the person on the diveboat was that she died out there....I can imagine someone older hitting that cold water....must have been a shock to her system.

The story from De Frente says she was 65. man in rough,cold seas (way colder than usual which is killing the fishing/shrimping this winter..down to 20% of usual) it is almost criminal to take someone that old out snorkeling......
Mark....the word I heard from the person on the diveboat was that she died out there....I can imagine someone older hitting that cold water....must have been a shock to her system.
In any case it's very saddening to hear of something like this happening... I know Dave from the diveshop and I have been to the island with him on his boat, I also know he is very safety minded... being a diver myself that's a risk we all take by getting into the water...

AZ ROB

You can dive in any temp water. All you have to do is dress for the occasion. We regularly dive in 50 Deg waters without a hitch. The diffrence is we dress for the cold... Still hate to hear of anybody passing while doing somthig they love.