Money stolen at border

Seagal

We traveled to Rocky Point on Saturday 6/22 and immediately after crossing were told to pull over for an "inspection" by Mexican officials with machine guns. They had me and my family [two kids in the car] get out and stand behind the car while one guard watched us and one went around the car, open each door and "inspected it". Sure enough when we got back in, they had stolen $200 dollars out of the car. It was in my moms purse and in the surprise of getting pulled over we didn't think to take out our purses. We have been coming down 3 times a year for about the past 5 years and never had anything like this happen. Needless to say I'm very scared to come back, it really shook me up. Anyone else have a similar experience or advice?

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
I was stopped bythem right before the US border heading back home, they made me get out but I told my wife to stay in the car with our 2 young children. They looked inside and made me open my cooler and one suitcase from the bed of the truck and then sent us on our way. I thought it was very odd.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
  • Seagal, it’s sort of like leaving your purse at the gas station. Whoever finds it might or might not be tempted by the $200 inside. But . . . that's the risk of leaving a purse at, say, a gas station.
  • Ckyevanjay, it’s not odd at all. Random stops south of the border heading northward have been going on for years. Only those with contraband need be nervous.

fatboyharley

Well Known Member
This report of cash being taken from purses has been noted in other sites. Last Friday as I went by the inspection, they had pulled aside a car with a young couple. I stopped and advised the woman to get her purse. I said there had been issues reported. She chose to ignore the warning and leave her purse in the car but the Mexican officials looked at me and took note of what I had said.

Seagal

This report of cash being taken from purses has been noted in other sites. Last Friday as I went by the inspection, they had pulled aside a car with a young couple. I stopped and advised the woman to get her purse. I said there had been issues reported. She chose to ignore the warning and leave her purse in the car but the Mexican officials looked at me and took note of what I had said.
I know, I never should have left it in there but I guess I was surprised. I've never been stopped going into MX before...... only going out.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
"I've never been stopped going into MX before...... only going out."

Just got stopped heading southward today. While one guy inspected, we had a fun conversation with the other guy. Every so often over the years, they have had military personnel do inspections / inquiries.
(By the way, what was really odd is that at 1:00 PM . . . on a Thursday . . . noticed northbound traffic on the other side was backed up to the "Wendy's Sign," which is usually about a 45 minute wait. )

El Tiburon

Well Known Member
I was stopped when leaving yesterday. The soldier went through my entire vehicle. Had nothing of value in the car. Have experienced this in the past so was not too surprised. Did not search me. Took my driver's license and recorded my name. First time for that.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
They drank all the beer I had in the refrigerator while "inspecting my boat" at Benjamin Hill one trip. Thought they were down in the cabin for awhile. They were kind enough to put the empty Pacifico bottles back in the fridge.

joanC

Well Known Member
This is not good. The author of this is widely read and Google has picked up the story.

Mordida by street cops is well known. The problem here is this tells tourists the people at the police station are now in on the corruption action. This then begs the big question: if we can't trust the people at the police station, where do we go with big issues....crime reports, recovery of stolen property, etc ?

https://www.eacourier.com/opinion/opinion-experiencing-sonoyta-speed-limits-or-grin-and-bear-it/article_f5411b4e-9ba1-11e9-9b4d-8bde34ca0b69.html

Last edited:

adicted

I went down few weeks ago and got stopped by a cop waiting behind a bush by a stop sign said I blew the sign. Tried to shake me for 60 but gave him 30$ he went back to bush. I would have went to station buy had 5 cars following me. They still crooked as always

Petrose

Got the military exit inspection on the way out. They are looking for any money you have that is not in your pocket. They will also steal from you and say items are not allowed, so they can pocket your belongings. Don't even associate these thugs with the U.S. Military, they are scum. People need to know these asshats are stealing while they keep you occupied. They told me that my Big5 binoculars were not allowed in Mexico, I told him they were cheap and to put them back. When he found my change cup in the kitchen cabinet, he pulled it out and showed his thug buddy. I got the usual secondary refrigerator inspection on the US side and was told they get lots of recent complaints about the Mexican Army stealing but nothing on this side can be done about it, how true. So gotta take the bad with the good.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I read recently that the inspections at the border on the Mexican side were to be the responsibility of the newly formed National guard.

This is not good. The author of this is widely read and Google has picked up the story.

Mordida by street cops is well known. The problem here is this tells tourists the people at the police station are now in on the corruption action. This then begs the big question: if we can't trust the people at the police station, where do we go with big issues....crime reports, recovery of stolen property, etc ?

https://www.eacourier.com/opinion/opinion-experiencing-sonoyta-speed-limits-or-grin-and-bear-it/article_f5411b4e-9ba1-11e9-9b4d-8bde34ca0b69.html
Got the military exit inspection on the way out. They are looking for any money you have that is not in your pocket. They will also steal from you and say items are not allowed, so they can pocket your belongings. Don't even associate these thugs with the U.S. Military, they are scum. People need to know these asshats are stealing while they keep you occupied. They told me that my Big5 binoculars were not allowed in Mexico, I told him they were cheap and to put them back. When he found my change cup in the kitchen cabinet, he pulled it out and showed his thug buddy. I got the usual secondary refrigerator inspection on the US side and was told they get lots of recent complaints about the Mexican Army stealing but nothing on this side can be done about it, how true. So gotta take the bad with the good.
You can’t trust anybody!

El Tiburon

Well Known Member
I received a copy of this email someone recently received from the US Consulate after making a complaint regarding the theft of items during searches at the Lukeville port of entry. It's anyone's guess if anything will be done.

"The Consulate in Nogales has recently received reports from U.S. citizens about Mexican authorities conducting searches of American citizens as they enter and exit Sonoyta, Mexico. The Consulate recommends that American citizens obey all Mexican laws and comply with the directions given to them by Mexican authorities while they are traveling or residing in Mexico. American citizens can contact the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit at [email protected] to report any issues associated with the searches and to request from us an Affidavit of Mistreatment. If you wish to fill out an Affidavit of Mistreatment, please try to collect in a very polite manner as much information as possible about the individuals conducting the search, including their names, the name of the Mexican authority they represent, and the numbers visible on their official vehicles. Please include these important details when you fill out the Affidavit, send it back to [email protected], and we will file it with the Mexican authorities.

The Consulate has raised the reported increase in searches in Sonoyta with the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City and appreciates your email."

Petrose

I received a copy of this email someone recently received from the US Consulate after making a complaint regarding the theft of items during searches at the Lukeville port of entry. It's anyone's guess if anything will be done.

"The Consulate in Nogales has recently received reports from U.S. citizens about Mexican authorities conducting searches of American citizens as they enter and exit Sonoyta, Mexico. The Consulate recommends that American citizens obey all Mexican laws and comply with the directions given to them by Mexican authorities while they are traveling or residing in Mexico. American citizens can contact the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit at [email protected] to report any issues associated with the searches and to request from us an Affidavit of Mistreatment. If you wish to fill out an Affidavit of Mistreatment, please try to collect in a very polite manner as much information as possible about the individuals conducting the search, including their names, the name of the Mexican authority they represent, and the numbers visible on their official vehicles. Please include these important details when you fill out the Affidavit, send it back to [email protected], and we will file it with the Mexican authorities.

The Consulate has raised the reported increase in searches in Sonoyta with the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City and appreciates your email."
OMG! Why didn't anyone think of reporting this to the proper authorities? Haha!