Moving to RP August 1st.

Kea

@ Nomadgirl: Don't let them scare you with the talk of how hot and humid the summers are in Peñasco. Since you've lived in South TX, this will be easy. I find the summer weather to be very similar to Austin, and not as humid as Houston (where I grew up). The winters are milder than Austin. Austin can get ice almost every year (up to 4-5 times per year!) and snow every 5-8 years. I've heard Peñasco has never had snow or ice.

Electrical is same as US.

Good luck with your move!

Do most people get a tourist visa or a temporary resident visa?

@kea: I was hoping that was the case on the weather, glad to hear.

Kea

I can't tell you what "most" people do for visas. But, when you are in Mexico for more than 72 hours, you are supposed to get a tourist visa (FMM) which is valid for 6 months and can be renewed. They've recently changed the rules for the longer visas. There are temporary and permanent visas. The biggest change was that you can now start with a permanent visa without having the temporary first. But you'll want advice from those much more knowledgeable.

Miakko

You are suppose to get a tourist visa if staying longer than 72 hours in RP - however one is not required to enter or exit the Lukeville border. The office to obtain the tourist visa is on the right side of the road right after you pass through customs. You can just park in the center of the road after customs and walk over to the building.

Miakko

I meant to ask about the electrical outlets. Is PP on the same system as the us or do we need to get some type of converter?
Same system as the US. If you're bringing a more expensive computer, suggest a voltage surge protector. I have one hooked up to my Apple and it protects it from power fluctuations that happen once in a while.

Since you are from S. Texas the humidity should be OK. I'm from Phx. AZ and if the humidity is over 40% and 100 degrees I am not happy.
I have lived too long in the desert.
That will happen everyday in RP as it does pretty much anywhere from Florida to S. California during the summer.
Like I said, once October happens, it becomes very nice there, from 4th of July through early Oct, A/C will be your friend.
Once it cools down in RP one big plus is the water stays warm until mid November making it perfect for any water activities.

Last edited:
I think I will be able to handle the heat. My husband lived in the Middle East a while, so he should be good and my DS will adapt. I am hoping the climate will help his allergies and eczema.

MIRAMAR

I am hoping the climate will help his allergies and eczema.
Yes it will help. I love the salt water for my eczema. Right now I'm in Tucson w/ swollen eyes, itching, and can't wait to get back to Penasco this weekend. It's the only relief I have until the rains hit.

@MIRAMAR-That is good to know. We had a saltwater pool and it was great for eczema but we weren't in a dry climate so the allergies were still horrible. He is miserable 24/7 so I am hoping our move gives him some relief.

Are there a lot of places to buy fresh seafood off the piers/docks?

Fresh seafood is abundant on the Malecon next to the harbor. Shrimp, flounder, red snapper, grouper, clams, scallops etc.
Find a vendor that has a correct weight scale, there are many who have less than accurate scales, even though they assure you its accurate.
I have seen 5 lbs of shrimp actually only weigh 3lbs. Once you find a good vendor stick with them.
You can also by frozen shrimp and some fish in kilo blocks at a seafood distributor east of the Burger King in the north part of town.

I am sure many will post some of the better vendors they deal with shortly.
This is an information rich website.

El Gato

Fresh seafood is abundant on the Malecon next to the harbor. Shrimp, flounder, red snapper, grouper, clams, scallops etc.
Find a vendor that has a correct weight scale, there are many who have less than accurate scales, even though they assure you its accurate.
I have seen 5 lbs of shrimp actually only weigh 3lbs. Once you find a good vendor stick with them.
You can also by frozen shrimp and some fish in kilo blocks at a seafood distributor east of the Burger King in the north part of town.

How is Mr Fish? He was recommended to us.

mondone

Whitecaps

I always buy from Federico. I have for about 17 years now. He moved from Malecon to location on Constitucion, 1 or 2 blocks east of Juarez a few years ago. Many locals go to him. Fair prices, no phoney scales, and no hassle going to the Malecon. Once you become a good customer, he will sometimes throw in a few extra items at no charge.​

El Gato

I always buy from Federico. I have for about 17 years now. He moved from Malecon to location on Constitucion, 1 or 2 blocks east of Juarez a few years ago. Many locals go to him. Fair prices, no phoney scales, and no hassle going to the Malecon. Once you become a good customer, he will sometimes throw in a few extra items at no charge.

Where is he located on Constitucion? We have kids and teenage grandsons arriving Monday morning and they all are shrimp lovers - need the best deal I can get :)

mondone

Whitecaps
Where is he located on Constitucion? We have kids and teenage grandsons arriving Monday morning and they all are shrimp lovers - need the best deal I can get :)
He is 2 blocks east of Lucas chicken place next to an appliance shop. Just look for the washers and dryers out curbside.

Thanks for starting this thread. I've had these exact same questions as I'm deciding whether to relocate to Penasco or Rosarito this year. If you don't mind my asking, what homeschool program would you/do you use? I've dug through old posts here at rpt and found some use k12.com, but it's only for kids in the US. They have an international but it seems expensive(maybe they don't check?). I've read good things about CIMA but I worry about safety even though I'm sure it's just my inner American that's never spent much time out of the US of A.

I have been homeschooling for several years so I don't use an out of the box all in one curriculum. I have changed depending on what I see working. What is the age of your child, it is easier to make suggestions that way. Also, are you secular or not, that helps a little too. Feel free to PM me also.

Roberto

Most of the shrimp you buy is 'first frozen' meaning it is frozen on the boat after harvesting, brought in and kept frozen till sale. You might get some actual 'fresh' from a pangero but the big boats are out for a long time and have to freeze or the stuff will rot. Plus yes there is a season on shrimp netting so theoretically there should be no fresh shrimp during the off season.

Last edited: