Moving to RP August 1st.

Landshark

Well Known Member
So you believe you are buying virgin, never frozen shrimp?
No, I am buying frozen shrimp that have remained frozen since they were harvested from the sea and frozen on the ship. The guys at Sea Products explained that seafood must be frozen to 0 degrees F or below to prevent them from spoiling. Just freezing to 32 degrees or below will not prevent them from going bad. I asked them for ice and they said their shrimp were much colder than the ice. Then, the explanation...

just livnthedream

Most of the shrimp you buy is 'first frozen' meaning it is frozen on the boat after harvesting, brought in and kept frozen till sale. You might get some actual 'fresh' from a pangero but the big boats are out for a long time and have to freeze or the stuff will rot. Plus yes there is a season on shrimp netting so theoretically there should be no fresh shrimp during the off season.
..... shrimp season only months with an R in it.

Roberto

Well Known Member
No, I am buying frozen shrimp that have remained frozen since they were harvested from the sea and frozen on the ship. The guys at Sea Products explained that seafood must be frozen to 0 degrees F or below to prevent them from spoiling. Just freezing to 32 degrees or below will not prevent them from going bad. I asked them for ice and they said their shrimp were much colder than the ice. Then, the explanation...
I often look at the roadside "Mariscos" stands with the large blue ice chests sitting in the sun and wonder how long the mariscos reside there before sale and how cold the stuff is actually maintained, and how often the ice chests are sanitized and where the vendors wash their hands before handling stuff, etc. etc. I also use the same sort of logic to the roadside taco stands. The tacos might taste good but......anyone with a basic understanding of bacteriology will run away in horror.

If you want shrimp from the shrimp markets on the malecon, go to Mary's Coctaleria. The owner Pancho buys in bulk and stores them properly and bringing what he needs for the restaurant and for direct sales on a regular basis so the shrimp do not lay in his coolers for a long time.

I recall one day some time ago when one of the stalls was pitching stuff directly into the sea that was not sellable. Baskets of clams over the sea wall!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Buying during months with an R in it is a new one, but is spot on.
I will only buy after Thanksgiving until end of Feb and never in April thru mid-October.
I had a friend who took me to where the poaching Pangas unload during the warm months one time, bought some right off the boat
from ice chests, it was good but I like the texture of shrimp when the water is cold,
The colder the water the better the product is.

Landshark

Well Known Member
I often look at the roadside "Mariscos" stands with the large blue ice chests sitting in the sun and wonder how long the mariscos reside there before sale and how cold the stuff is actually maintained, and how often the ice chests are sanitized and where the vendors wash their hands before handling stuff, etc. etc. I recall one day some time ago when one of the stalls was pitching stuff directly into the sea that was not sellable. Baskets of clams over the sea wall!
This is why I prefer buying from Sea Products! Make more sense this time?! :grin:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I am originally from South Texas and my husband is from New York. We haven't really found a place to settle yet. RP sounds great. We really want to make sure our son gets plenty of socialization other then mom and dad.
It will be best for all of you to move into town rather than the resort area of town, as the name says, it is the touristic area and you will find yourself and your kids with temporary friends that they/you see every so often, if they own a condo or rarely if they rent.
You will be much better of living in town and absorbing all that good feeling and love that the mexican people have to give!

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
When the bubble hit hard a wife with the two little blond headed Viking boys ended up living in Santo Tomas while the husband worked on oil platforms in the gulf.After two years they spoke fluent spanish,were way better fishermen that any of of the geezer patrol down here,they rode around in the back of the trailer with the guards picking up the garbage,cleaned fish,trimmed olive trees.....I would have given anything to be them at that age. Great swimmers now too
Jerry: I would pay to live that life! Especially right now.

joester

2 salty dawgs
Nomadgirl -
good luck in your upcoming move to RP - we hope to have an rv set up there once we retire.
there are a LOT of very nice folks there - just be honest and straightforward, and you'll make friends. I agree that you may want to spend less than 6 months on Sandy Beach in a condo as you acclimate to the town, seems to me that maybe somehwere along the Mirador would be nice, or Cholla Bay.
at any rate, wherver you choose, welcome! (from a guy who lately comes down once a year at Thanksgiving....)

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Living "in town" affords me the ability to work on things, I have a yard where I can work on projects (which I love) I am close to the store, I am close to Taco Stands and Sonoran dog stands. My wife is an artist and shops at segundas for treasures and brings them home for me to work on. It's good for us to be in town. Sometimes though we get awakened by music in the middle of the night, but as long as we dont have to get up super early we try to enjoy it.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Back in the day you couldn't find a lizard in penasco, everyone left town in August, better you me...

We live here year round. I had folks with me from Missouri and I told them that it gets 100 degrees and 70% humidity and is horrible and they said its worse where they live as they get to 120% humidity and super hot too. Think about all the people that live in Houston...New Orleans......pretty much all the same - its great for us

Kea

Well Known Member
Agree about the comparison. I grew up in Houston and weather is much worse there. Humid there year-round and lots of rain. Perhaps I'm jaded, but I don't remember seeing blue sky as a kid.

just livnthedream

and shops at segundas for treasures and brings them home for me to work on. It's good for us to be in town. Sometimes though we get awakened by music in the middle of the night, but as long as we dont have to get up super early we try to enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Whats a segunda?

mis2810

Well Known Member
and shops at segundas for treasures and brings them home for me to work on. It's good for us to be in town. Sometimes though we get awakened by music in the middle of the night, but as long as we dont have to get up super early we try to enjoy it.
Whats a segunda?[/QUOTE]

A second hand store or thrift shop. Segunda is "second" in Spanish. The word I like is Yonke- for junkyard!

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
When I made a trip to town this last weekend to run errands, I thought of all the things I love about Penasco: the roosters crowing in the middle of the day, the kind people willing to help me find whatever I need, the smell of chicken roasting, and being able to practice my Spanish. I love being on the beach, but there is something magical about going to town and interacting with the natives.

playaperro

El Pirata
When I made a trip to town this last weekend to run errands, I thought of all the things I love about Penasco: the roosters crowing in the middle of the day, the kind people willing to help me find whatever I need, the smell of chicken roasting, and being able to practice my Spanish. I love being on the beach, but there is something magical about going to town and interacting with the natives.
I got roosters crowing and ducks quaking across the street from me in Tucson, I'd rather hear the waves than them!

Last edited: