My computer is dying.....

Hey Tomcat/Chari....the processor on that toshiba is only a single core....if all you're going to be using the computer for is internet/email/wordprocessing...it's perfectly adequate. The windows version is also only 32 bit, versus 64 bit. Most of the computers now are dual or quad core (multiple processors on the chip).....even the little netbooks have gone to dual core processors. Look at it this way....the horsepower of this laptop is more than the mainframe they had in my college back in the late 60's/early 70's!!!! It's a pretty good deal, considering the netbooks are going for about $300....with less speed and much smaller screens....and the netbooks don't usually have dvd burners.

Last edited:
T

Tomcat

What will chari need in a laptop ? I am using this laptop right now and it does everything I need it to do... Oh well it is a option to be considered...I mean a person has to ask themselves what will I be using the laptop for ????? then decide....
Hey Tomcat/Chari....the processor on that toshiba is only a single core....if all you're going to be using the computer for is internet/email/wordprocessing...it's perfectly adequate. The windows version is also only 32 bit, versus 64 bit. Most of the computers now are dual or quad core (multiple processors on the chip).....even the little netbooks have gone to dual core processors. Look at it this way....the horsepower of this laptop is more than the mainframe they had in my college back in the late 60's/early 70's!!!! It's a pretty good deal, considering the netbooks are going for about $300....with less speed and much smaller screens....and the netbooks don't usually have dvd burners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
All I need it to do is let me e-mail, google, play on my forums, make simple word documents and burn and store my music.

T

Tomcat

The two other thoughts I had before I bought this computer was MONEY !! I not making much of that lately and 2nd thought was what will be on the market in three years from now as laptop really are not worth fixing anymore ???? This laptop will more the likely be on its way out as far as technoloy marches forward.... So if money is not concern then have at it and get a cool laptop that is very upgradable.... I really think the basic users like chari and me with a small demand on functions is turning into a type of disposable laptop market !!!! I wouldn't be surprised if this same laptop was $200 next year !!!!!! How much does windows 7 upgrade cost today ???

Tomcat....probably 1/3 of the cost of the laptop is for Windows 7...but yes, computers are getting to the "disposable"/appliance stage.

T

Tomcat

One third the cost is for windows 7 ??? well that's going to depend on the cost of that laptop.... I saw windows 7 home version upgrade for $150 dollars right next to this laptop ! If your poor like me right now then that means I bought a laptop for $75.... There are many ways to decide what to buy just like a car BUT I am just talking low budget get the job done now. If I open my wallet and it was full I would be off in another direction and playing with many cool options and new tech stuff. But that's not were I am at now so excuse me for my low budget :get er done" cable guy attitude now... like I said its a option joe... just a option....
Tomcat....probably 1/3 of the cost of the laptop is for Windows 7...but yes, computers are getting to the "disposable"/appliance stage.

One third the cost is for windows 7 ??? well that's going to depend on the cost of that laptop.... I saw windows 7 home version upgrade for $150 dollars right next to this laptop ! If your poor like me right now then that means I bought a laptop for $75.... There are many ways to decide what to buy just like a car BUT I am just talking low budget get the job done now. If I open my wallet and it was full I would be off in another direction and playing with many cool options and new tech stuff. But that's not were I am at now so excuse me for my low budget :get er done" cable guy attitude now... like I said its a option joe... just a option....
Tom...I was referring to the cost of the laptop you linked to ($278).....you're also not getting an "upgrade" version when you buy a new computer....although the OEMs get a deep discount.

playaperro

El Pirata
Your wallet controls what you can buy, i really don't care for the amd chips but with the economy the way it is, screaming deal on that toshiba, BTW Tomcat how much
was that birthday cake you had at the boo bar?

T

Tomcat

You lost me Joe ? I had a laptop with problems that has vista as its operating system... the more i inquired the more I heard vista is not a good operating system ! So what i meant was if I considered to upgrade to windows 7 then it would be almost as much money as buying this new laptop with windows 7 included ! sorry my thoughts and post dont always match what I trying to share :aagh::aagh::aagh:
Tom...I was referring to the cost of the laptop you linked to ($278).....you're also not getting an "upgrade" version when you buy a new computer....although the OEMs get a deep discount.

T

Tomcat

I saw that too ! That was another TOMCAT not me :-( LOL I guess there more tomcats cruising around saying "Here kitty kitty " come let me pet you kitty cat ! LOL
Your wallet controls what you can buy, i really don't care for the amd chips but with the economy the way it is, screaming deal on that toshiba, BTW Tomcat how much
was that birthday cake you had at the boo bar?

Terry C

I think Tom is saying he bought a laptop with windows 2 and as 1 mb hard drive and .05 bits of memory a 5-1/4 floppy drive on a 3" screen from a 1985 overstock.com mailier. :lol:

Last edited: