Never driven to Mexico...

Q

qmanchoo

Hey Folks,

I was thinking about visiting Puero Penasco this weekend, but I have also never been to Mexico before. A buddy of mine recommended that I not drive my newer SUV down and find a 'beat up car' instead. I have the feeling plenty of Americans drive nice vehicles down there from Arizona and it's probably not an issue, but want to get an opinion from the locals here on this board.

Thanks in advance!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I was just at Las Palomas yesterday and there was not one but dozens of very nice SUV's there, I also saw a few Mercedes Benz cars and SUV. I think you probably shouldn't leave it parked on the street with the keys in it - running.....while you are inside drinking a beer........but other than that you will be fine. Dont forget that you must have Mexican Insurance on it prior to crossing the border.

Q

qmanchoo

Thanks! You confirmed my thinking.

I just purchased a weekend auto insurance policy for $60 from HDI, but that seems a little high for 3 days. Can anyone here recommend where I might find something at a more reasonable rate?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Thanks! You confirmed my thinking.

I just purchased a weekend auto insurance policy for $60 from HDI, but that seems a little high for 3 days. Can anyone here recommend where I might find something at a more reasonable rate?
If you are buying a full coverage policy it sounds right but if it is liability only its too much, check out www.proalliance.com.mx and see what she can offer you. You can order click and print right from the site.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Your Mexican insurance cost is based on the value of the vehicle you declare, pretty much regardless who/where you get it. When my F-250 was brand-spanking new, a weekend policy was easily that much. Now that it's older (and the value much less), I just buy a yearly policy. The break even point on a yearly policy is about 5 or 6 trips a year. If you only plan on going this once, a weekend policy is the way to go. If you find you like it and plan on going more often, look at a yearly policy to save money.

Also - a common mistake when buying Mexican insurance - don't overestimate the value of your vehicle. The insurance company is only going to pay out low blue book on it regardless of what happens to it -- wrecked, stolen, whatever.

El Gato

We have a Lincoln Town Car - it has become a "Penasco" car - loves the dirt roads. Of course, at times when we leave it to go into a store we come out to find someone washing it (not just the windshield!) - and, of course, it needed it. See new cars, trucks, SUV's, etc., all the time.

I'm pretty sure that all the agents selling insurance charge the same rates...depending on which Mexican Insurance Company it is written on....another reason to buy from Rosy (Proalliance). A liability only policy should run you somewhere around $10 per day.....full coverage will be based on the declared value of the vehicle.

The WORST thing to do is bringing down a later-model truck or an older Honda/Toyota that doesn't have to be fixed via computer. They're more interested in rare parts than the vehicle itself. That said, you're more likely to get your new car/truck stolen in the parking lot of the Tucson Mall than in Penasco.

One thing to note - from someone who's had their truck stolen in RP - The insurance policies will cover damages to your vehicle if it is stolen, but not if someone strips parts/contents out of it and leaves it sitting where it was parked. All the policies I've ever had also include a $1000 deductible.

When my truck was stolen and recovered, insurance covered the repair costs (less the deductible), but did not cover any of the missing contents.

Also remember, that if you have a claim, you must handle it in Mexico - before you cross back over the border into the US.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
I have a Lexus and drive it everytime I go down there. Nobody has ever touched it.

sbulmer

s bulmer
Yes I agree this is the worst thing that your car/truck stolen in the parking lot is the worst thing but if you can take some precaution then that never happens.

MIRAMAR

Also remember, August is probably the hottest/ most uncomfortable month, so drink a lot of fluids (beer doesn't count!), be prepared for humidity and stay close to the A/C.

Last edited:
Hope you have a wonderful time in Puerto Penasco. Just remember to not leave your wallet/purse in your car or have anything valuable in plain view. A family in my neighborhood in Penasco had some Americans who visited from a small town in the US and sort of forgot that obvious rule. their car got broken into. I also would advise not parking in a lone place. I had a 10am breakfast meeting with some friends and parked in front of Maria Bonita on the street and had my car broken into. They parked in the back of the place where there was not only security, but plenty of other cars. Pity they had not mentioned that to me. I thought parking on a main street (right there on the malecon) in broad daylight would be fine. (nothing was stolen from my car and I always have my purse with me) The reality was a bit different. Luckily my Mexican freinds were able to help me get my windown taken care of, the police and others were no help whatsoever. Good luck and if you are ever there for the full moon, go down to the malecon (near the fish market) when the tide is real close to that area. Rather fun......

jerry

The Sonoyta speedtrap is the only real hassle.....watch the changes headed south from 60kph to 40 to 20 to 40 to 20 to 40 then to 80 out to the bull ring.It is a big money maker for the cops so go the limit and just pull over when more than 2 Sonora plates are tailgating you..

jerry

I really hate this crap where you point out some mexican scam/crime/undemocratic behavior by the money men and powers that be and some forum cheerleader points out the fact that maybe it could happen in the states too.The fact...the fact is the mexican Justice system is hopeless,the cops as a whole are problematic and things do sort of suck in some ways in mexico.
Gila Bend and Ajo have speed traps too :) - Ajo's tend to extend out from both sides of town.

The Sonoyta speedtrap is the only real hassle.....watch the changes headed south from 60kph to 40 to 20 to 40 to 20 to 40 then to 80 out to the bull ring.It is a big money maker for the cops so go the limit and just pull over when more than 2 Sonora plates are tailgating you..
No need to pull over....they'll pass you on either the left or on the shoulder...doing 50! (mph....not kph)

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Gila Bend and Ajo have speed traps too :) - Ajo's tend to extend out from both sides of town.
The speeds (unlike Sonoita) ARE VERY CLEARLY POSTED. 35 mph throughout Gila Bend; gradual decline from 65 to 25 (10 mph increments) coming into Ajo either way. You get a speeding ticket in either of those two towns, it's your own dumb fault for being in too big of a hurry and not paying attention. I see people that have to blast by me in those zones nearly every trip, only to snicker when I see them pulled over a bit up the road.

On the other hand, it's easy to miss that 40 clicks sign coming over the first rise into Sonoita from Penasco, then Mr. Sonoita Revenue Collector with his radar gun waves you into the junkyard to negotiate exactly what your fine will be.

I'm not a saint of a driver by any means, but I KNOW to slow down and obey the speed limit in both those towns, as well as in Sonoita. The 30 seconds sooner you may get to Penasco or back home just ain't worth it.