New Enclosed Boat/RV Storage Units In Town At Whale Hill

We saw them today, and they are almost finished. The bays are 42 ft long, 15 ft wide and high enough for everything. Each has a lockable door, water and power. They are at Whale Hill, at the end of the street and then to the left, through the gate. At 100 per month they look like a fair deal. The owner says he has a security guard living on the property.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Rueben and I are already talking about one of these units for my boat, which is stored there. There is not a security guard living on the property that I'm aware of (at the moment). That used to be Jose and he and his family lived in the little casita at the top of the hill right next to the gate. And therein lies a bit of a problem -- access. Because those units are behind the gate, you can't always get in and out as the spirit moves you. Generally, someone is around, but not always. I usually try to pull my boat out the night before, check it, fuel it, and then drop it at Safe Marine so it's good to go early in the morning. Sometimes, I leave it overnight at Safe Marine after a long day on the water and go to get it early in the morning to put it away. And nobody is around to open the gate!

So, just a consideration. The gate gets locked every night and as far as I know, Rueben does not give out any keys to it. I don't blame him. The other smaller boat houses under his new apartments don't have that issue because they're not behind the gate. Us fisherman often keep early or late hours and I think a good part of Penasco sleeps til noon on Sunday mornings!

But yes, they are going to be very nice units. Heck, in cooler months, I could just crash on my boat in the boat house occasionally. But I do wish there was a keypad or electronic card or something besides a padlock to provide access in and out. Maybe at some point. Rueben has done a lot with the place and the wife and I have been staying in the new apartments he built. Very decent little places. Not exactly a $250 a night condo on Sandy Beach, but cold AC and hot water, coffee maker, microwave and small fridge in each. Perfect for a fishing weekend and at a going rate of $40 a night? A bargain, too.