new here Hello :-)

T

Tomcat

I am new here and have read the post for a few weeks and decided to say hello to this group. I new to Arizona and Washington State is my home but decided to come help some old friends build there dream house in Northern Arizona by Payson.

The house is coming along nicely and my friends are going to take a break and vacation in Europe in October for 3 weeks and I decided I am going to get on my road bike and go exploring and Rocky Point has caught my interest.

I have read a lot online and some say don't go to mexico and other say wow rocky point is wonderful. Sense I have spirt of adventure I am thinking yeah why not as I have been on some pretty amazing adventures before and know its wise to do this with a lot of research and some common sense.

Also its nice to get to know a few locals to show me the ropes in this place call rocky point. So say high.... I am not a scamer, I not a weirdo, I am just a guy with a sense of adventure looking to take a nice trip south.

Tom

Check it out. You will be safe as long as you don't make yourself vulnerable to those of criminal intent. The close proximaty of the beach makes Rocky Point attractive to many. The local people are great, although many are presently stressed due to the poor economy, and the recent cartel related violence. It is pretty much dry, barren desert, with very little rain, but high humidity this time of the year. If you are adventurous, I would suggest exploring further south in Mexico, where the environment is greener and much prettier. That is my personal opinion because I prefer the tropical environment.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Hi Tom,
I will be going to Rocky Point over Columbus Day weekend and would be happy to caravan with you and show you the ropes. Send me a PM if you are interested and we can hammer out the details.
Chari

AZ ROB

Tom I try to get down at least 2 times a month we stay on sandy beach. Although it seems the The Trailer Trash is more fun to party with. I know I will be down 2 or 3 weekends in a row in Oct. If you are looking to snorkle, fish, or dive you should really contact Mark (seadweller) him and Barb are the Coolest people to meet here on the board. If you have a question just ask and it will be answered.

WoW... Thank you Rob... but how do you really feel about us... LOL...

Hello Tom... Welcome to the forum and Rocky Point... like Rob said if you're into snorkeling or anything like that, give us a call or look us up when you come down... I'm always looking for someone to go out and play in the water...

Hey Tom Cat
Welcome ! Like said just stay aware of where you are as you would do anywhere. Rocky Point is safer than most large cities. My wife and I have been going there over 30 years and will continue to go as long as we can. The Drug Cartels tend to kill among themselves with very few other people getting involved.
Drive carefully, be aware and have a great time.

T

Tomcat

Great !

Thanks for all the nice replies and I look forward to meeting you folks soon. I hope I can share my plans as time gets closer to October and you all can throw in your two cents. Yes I love the ocean and snorkling and fishing. I haven't ever gone diving before but who knows :)

It looks like I go south to Phoenix and get on 85 south to Lukeville and cross the boarder there. From what i have read Rosie is a good way to get insurance ? Do i need anything else to spend a week or ten days in rocky point ? Visa ? etc. ???

Wow thats for the offer to caravan jeeplady :) I will PM you when i figure how to LOL

Here is my email so we don't bore the whole forum with making plans for the new guy :)

<<email removed>> so say hi and then I have your email....

This is going to be so much better then just showing up in a strange place and figuring out rocky point from scratch.

Thank you all
Tom

Tyler: I removed your email address because spambots will grab it and spam you to death otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bahiatrader

Incidentally Tom, the border at Lukeville has been closed between midnight and 6:00 AM.

T

Tomcat

I tried to PM you ladyjeeper but I got this message from the administrator of this forum......The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with less than 5 posts.

OK so I have 3 post now and 2 more to go hahaha :)

Tom

T

Tomcat

Another question that comes to mind is my motorcycle ! Its not a 25,000 harley LOL but it would be very nice to keep it safe there. I am on a budget these days so maybe some good ideas on a motel type lodging instead of hotel so I could chain it up out side my door at night or even roll it in my room like I have so many times traveling on the west coast 101 between Washington and California.

I read that some folks camp out with tents at RV parks ( The Reef RV in rocky point ) there but not sure if that's safe and if its even worth it as it might cost as much as a simple clean safe room in town ????

Please share what you think on this subject

Tom

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
You can chain up your bike at my place in Playa De Oro and rent a space there to camp in right by me. It's a very nice park with showers. My place has pillars that hold up the sundeck that are very strong. Just don't leak any oil on my tile patio, K? LOL! I'll email you in a while. Oh, almost forgot. You do not need a visa as Rocky Point is a free zone but you do need a passport or passport card to cross back into the states. If you have a lien on your motorcycle, you need a letter of permission to take it to Mexico. Also, if you plan on using your debit card there, let your bank know. My bank puts a freeze on debit cards used in Mexico without letting them know. Ask me how I know....I'm lucky I have friends there that loaned me money......They did not let me know of that policy in advance... Google Playa De Oro RV park. I think the nightly space rental is around 20 bucks. They have a big website with pictures and prices.

Last edited:
Tom, I live in Pine and work in Payson. You can find me during the week at KMOG Radio....Payson's local station. We have a house in Rocky Point and go down frequently so feel free to stop by or call the radio station and I will try and give you any information I can and answer any questions before you go down.

Tom....the weather should be great for tent camping by Oct.....and there are a couple of rv parks on one side of town (where ladyjeeper mentioned) , as well as Playa Bonita on the other side of the harbor on Sandy Beach. The rv parks should run you around $20-25 per night. There are 2-3 hotels on the Mirador where Playa d'oro is located (on or almost on the beach) that run in the neighborhood of $40-50 per night, as well as a couple a few blocks down from the beach...near Capones, a local restaurant/watering hole (Playa Inn, and don't remember the name of the other one). There should be a couple of threads on the forum that have a city map posted...just do a search.

B

bahiatrader

The last I heard you can still use a picture ID and a birth certificate. It makes it diffucult but possible to get back into the US. The best idea is to get a passport or passport ID card. Then they usually just shoo you right in. I think you're good for six months.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
welcome to the forum Tom as said before October is a beautiful time of the year to go to RP, you will enjoy it!!

Hi Tom and welcome! We will be going down October 9-17, which we consider the perfect time of year to be in RP!!! (Anytime is a good time, but October is perfect as far as the weather goes, LOL!) We store a trailer at PDO (which they move to the park when we come down) and will have friends and family along on this trip that do not have an rv who will be staying next door at the El Mirador Hotel. The cost at PDO for a space is $21 for a regular and $27 for a beachfront. The hotel is, and don't quote me on this, $59 Sun-Thurs and $69 Fri-Sat. I believe the Playa Inn is about the same price and the hotel across the street, I believe it's called Hotel Penasco, is cheaper but not near as nice as the other two. We have always stayed on the "trailer trash side of the tracks", so I couldn't really tell you much about other places away from the Mirador. (And yes, trailer trash people are the best to party with!!!!) I, as well, would be happy to answer any questions you have!!!!!

BTW, you're making me homesick...........I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and miss it tremendously. Just yesterday, a good friend of ours who was up there recently said the Oregon coast sucks...........I couldn't believe my ears!!! He said it was so foggy you couldn't see anything...........well, he obviously needs to really "see" it. It's a most breathtaking experience and I truly miss it. (Rocky Point is the next best thing, LOL!!!!!!)

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Tom,
I didn't get your e-mail before Tyler removed it. Please PM me with it now that you have 5 posts and can.
Chari

T

Tomcat

Thank you everyone for your replies to my post. I am have problem with internet connection coming and going lately so sorry for my late reply.

Smilin jack: Yes I love the green tropic's also. I have Back packed in parts of Southeast Asia several times and much there is like Hawaii. Maybe in the future I will be comfortable enough to venture farther south into Mexico. But for now I think I will stick to Rocky Point.

Ladyjeeper: Thanks for the invite to caravan offer and that sounds great. I love a adventure but it never hurts to be cautious and we all know anything is possible out on the open highway and there seems to be more safety in groups. I will PM you OK...

AZ Rob: Wow I am just trying to take my first trip to Rocky Point safe and sound and you along with everyone else that's posted here are wonderful :) Not only am I getting the information I need for a safe trip but getting offers of fishing and snorkeling ! Amazing thanks so much,

Seadweller Mark and Barb: Good old American hospitality very nice :) I don't know how to call you or find you in Rocky Point but I am packing my sunscreen and hoping we can look at each other soon and our eyes get big and we both yell FISH ON !!!!! LOL PM me ok :)

Wood Spinner: Thanks for your safety message. Its what I need to hear as I am fighting myself with all the bad and violent news on American TV and newspapers about Mexico. If a person knows how things work in any given area then a person can learn how to avoid most all danger. Sounds like I need to stay in the tourist areas, make some new friends and be on guard for any bad elements. Still after all I am hearing it appears a trip through east LA is much more dangerous then Rocky Point is !

Thanks Tyler: I am still learning about forums and didn't see the PM function on this website. Much better to exchange private messages here then my email getting spammed. Thanks for removing my email address.....

Bahiatrader: Thanks for the information on the Lukeville Border open and closed hours ! Ladyjeeper Thanks for the information on travel visa's not needed in the free zone ! also the information on visa charge cards and contacting my bank and no my Motorcycle won't leak on your tile patio. A old jeep I used to own might have had a few oil leaks LOL :) OK I need to take proof of ownership of my vehicle and yep I have a passport.

[FONT=&quot]Playa De Oro[/FONT] RV park... OK I will search that online.

How does the proof of insurance work ? Lets say I contact this Rosey on her website. I just pay with visa and she mails me some kind of card ? Can I pre select the dates its good for ? I was thinking a 2 week period would cover me on this first trip. It would be nice to have the insurance all taken care of before I leave home as thats one less thing to worry about :)

AZbandit: Hi Neighbor ! Well I am a little ways farther up highway 260 past Payson but sure lets talk soon. Send me a message in private with your contact details. I am not sure calling the Radio Station and asking for azbandit will work or not ? LOL Hope to talk with you soon :)

Rockyptjoe: Thanks for the information. I am just looking to get my feet wet on rocky point with out being totally lost there and also keeping myself safe. Maybe its best to just roll into town and pitch a tent by ladyjeeper's place in the RV park and then I can wander around town safely in no hurry and see if I find a motel room or something that works out for me. I will look up and print a map too ! Thanks Joe :)

Inkaroads: thanks for your welcome post and the weather info for October :) I can.t wait to be there !

Beachgirl: wow more good information thank you. I dont have a condo in rocky point BUT I do have a newer 30 foot fifth wheel RV :) Maybe I will fall in love with rocky point and haul it down for the winter !!!! Oh my gosh !!!! sorry to all on this board ! You might be helping out a future trailer trash guy on the wrong side of the tracks living in a RV in Rocky point..... ooopppssss :) hahahahaha

What Beachgirl ???? well yes if its all foggy on the Pacific Northwest coast its probably a accurate statement from your friend BUT when its sunny and clear on the Pacific Northwest coast its as beautiful as any place on the planet earth. I too miss the Great Pacific Northwest USA. From the San Juan islands to the Redwood Forest is were some say God lives. Well God might have chosen to live there in the summer months anyway :) If Rocky point is even close to the beauty of the Pacific Northwest I am really in for surprise and a great trip south to this place called rocky point !!!!

Tomcat :)