New Mexican US Passport Rule ?

Roberto

New Mexican passport rule won't affect border crossings

By Sandra Dibble, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER Monday, February 15, 2010 at 6:40 p.m.

TIJUANA — A new Mexican government rule that U.S. visitors present passports when entering Mexico by land, sea and air will not be enforced at Baja California’s border crossings, authorities said Monday in Tijuana.
Francisco Javier Reynoso Nuño, the top federal immigration official in Baja California, said Mexico lacks the infrastructure to enforce the regulations at busy ports such as San Ysidro and Otay Mesa.
“We’re going to stay the same,” Reynoso said following a meeting with state officials worried about how the regulations could affect travel to Baja California.
The rules, set to go into effect March 1 in other parts of Mexico, will not be applied to short-term visitors along the northern border, Reynoso said. Likewise, cruise ship passengers who briefly disembark at Ensenada won’t be required to present a passport, he said.
The announcement of the new rules has come as Mexico has worked to increase security at its ports of entry. The federal government is in the process of installing a new electronic inspection system, known as SIAVE, at its land border crossings as a means of detecting illegal weapons and other contraband.
Southbound border waits have been growing longer in recent months as a result of SIAVE. Business groups in both Baja California and San Diego complained that the additional immigration inspection would create even longer delays, and further stifle commerce and tourism on both sides.
“We were very concerned,” said Oscar Escobedo Carignan, Baja California’s tourism secretary. “Things are going to continue the same. It’s good news for us.”
The regulations, announced earlier this month by Mexico’s National Migration Institute, state that U.S. citizens traveling to Mexico “by air, land or sea” must present either a valid U.S. passport or passport card. U.S. permanent residents must also present documents proving their status.
Because of U.S. travel document requirements, most U.S. visitors to Mexico already carry passports or passport cards or trusted traveler documents such as SENTRI passes when crossing at the border.
“We recognize Mexico’s right to secure its borders, but they should be secured with the minimum interruption of commerce in both directions,” said James Clark, director of the Mexico Business Center of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Yeah, Mexico has such a HUGE immigration problem with illegal aliens on the northern border. (not)

Southern border is a different story with Guatemalans, Hondurans, etc. all heading north for the US of A. I understand they actually have pretty tight enforcement there already.

I can understand any of the northern border/tourist destination crossings saying to hell with this. Traffic is way down as it is; this just adds one more reason for gringos not to cross.

C

cactusamigo

Call it reciprocation or retrobution, depending on your perspective. Recently, the U.S. State Department has required Mexican citizens to have a Mexican passport in order to apply for a U.S. B1/B2 Laser Visa. About time! Why should we issue foreignors visas to enter our country if they cannot qualify for a passport in their own country? According to U.S. government figures, 40% of the Mexican illegal aliens living in our country have overstayed their visas. It's my bet that most of them do not have Mexican passports. Maybe our government is taking a step in the right direction to lessen the number of illegal aliens entering our country. Next step is to increase the enforcement on the employers of illegal aliens, freeing up more jobs for U.S. citizens, and those legally in our country, especially during this period of high unemployment. Dry up the jobs for illegal aliens, and they will not be so motivated to come here.

So what's the big deal? U.S. citizens enter Mexico with passports because they need a passport to come home!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
As I approached the light this morning at the Mexican side, I ask my passenger to have their passports ready just in case, we got a green light, however we got stop 'cause I was pulling and enclosed trailer, full of golf club bags, they checked it, 5 seconds looking inside, and let us thru not mention of any type of paperwork to proceed to Mexico, so I guess we are also safe of that one in Sonoyta!!

C

cactusamigo

As most of us are aware, in Mexico, what is "official" and what is enforced, are two different things. Due to the economy, and other factors, Mexico isn't going to throw up additional roadblocks to further discourage tourism, at least not in practice.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
at this point in time and looking at the present situation, I am starting to believe that Mexico is going to required a special day to day visa for all americans entering Mexico for more than 23 hours, due to all the drive by shooting in Tucson, the over wellming flu pandemic hitting USA and the massive fight between drug dealers and the marijuana dispensers in California, but do not worry Ace hardware sells an extension addition for your 25 footer ladder to be able to jump the fence into Mexico and carry on plasma cutters for those lasy arsses that do not like going up the ladders!! :eek3:

Last edited: