New Public Beach "Mi Playa" is OPEN!

Via Russ Black and Rocky Point 360's Facebook status posts (listed below), the new public beach that has been spoken about on here for the last few months has opened, just in time for the Semana Santa Mexican holiday. The entrance is apparently hard to find, but sounds like you take Fremont, go past the final streets on the right that will get you in the Mirador section (Nuevo Leon), but don't go as far as the Las Conchas entrance. It will be on your right (you know, the ocean side!), near the grey, steel, Interceramic tile supply building. If you make it down there, please post photos or reviews below. Thanks!

Russ--This is right off of Boulevard Freemont there are big signs that say Mi Playa. The palapas are too cool and there are cookers and everything it is cool!

Rocky Point 360--Public Beach Mi Playa is open, offering palapas and spots for pick-up beach soccer. Had to do a doube-take to find the entrance but it's right near Interceramic. A la playa!!!

Last edited:
Across from Oceano rentals, OK, that's what I thought, but Oceano lists their address as a side street or some other office. Here are the directions, but it sounds like the some of the signs are already up.

Until there is additional signage, to get to Mi Playa: when heading along Blvd. Fremont toward Las Conchas you will see a small ‘entrada’ sign just before InterCeramic (I had to circle back to find it the first time). When heading to town from Las Conchas, you will actually see a large Mi Playa sign on the right-side of the road just past Consign & Design, with an arrow pointing to a left turn. *Don’t drive up the “Solo Salida” road (exit only). Once at Mi Playa there are clear signs helping guide you back to the “Salida” (exit) down another short road that empties back out onto Blvd. Fremont just across from the Oceano offices.

DiD

I congratulate the city for this project--especially the speed in which they implemented it. Let's hope that they have budgeted for lots of cleanup. As property owners, our first visit to the Mirador area after Semana Santa always involves picking up garbage bags full of bottles, plastic bags, diapers, etc. from the Mirador beach to Los Conchas. Lately the beach from the Pithaya past the old Elegante RV park has been an informal "Mi Playa" area, and it gets to be a mess.

Cortez2

Went by Mi Playa beach today. Its a garbage dump, cans, bottles, garbage everywhere. I was scared to get out of the Jeep, might catch something.
You would think people would take care of things like that, but NO LETS JUST TRASH IT

Yes that is a very big problem down here in my opinion... many of the locals just don't appreciate the beauty of their own beaches... I have actually seen people standing next to a garbage can and they just drop their trash on the ground instead of walking two feet to dispose of it properly... It's just a sad sight...

ddez

went walking down there 2 week ago the was a truck and some young locals cleaning the beach at mi Playa. It looks like a nice area

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Yes that is a very big problem down here in my opinion... many of the locals just don't appreciate the beauty of their own beaches... I have actually seen people standing next to a garbage can and they just drop their trash on the ground instead of walking two feet to dispose of it properly... It's just a sad sight...

All I can do is SMH, this is the same premise of putting 19 people on a boat. Uneducated or whatever you want to call it. Generation after generation behaves like this and therefor it becomes accepted or the norm of society. I was never taught that it was ok to litter, so once again is this a cultural problem or an education problem. Like I said before its basically acceptable to be a degenerate, drinking and driving with your kids in the car, be reckless with kids in the car, putting 19 people on a boat, littering, generally not giving 0 F$#KS about anything... its a shame. A year ago I met this guy in his mid 20's a national that lives in Cholla bay. I saw him picking up trash in cholla bay and it might have been the first time that I had ever seen a local picking up trash. I asked him why and told him that and he said its because he's from cholla bay and lives there and doesnt want it that way. Why dont more locals feel this sentiment?!

Went by Mi Playa beach today. Its a garbage dump, cans, bottles, garbage everywhere. I was scared to get out of the Jeep, might catch something.
You would think people would take care of things like that, but NO LETS JUST TRASH IT
Wait till after the weekend...it will look worse....just check out any of the beaches (except in front of the condos) after the weekend when the families come out....trash everywhere...baby diapers, broken beer bottles, etc. Is it so hard to drop stuff in garbage cans, especially when they are provided??? ....it's a damn shame....

All I can do is SMH, this is the same premise of putting 19 people on a boat. Uneducated or whatever you want to call it. Generation after generation behaves like this and therefor it becomes accepted or the norm of society. I was never taught that it was ok to litter, so once again is this a cultural problem or an education problem. Like I said before its basically acceptable to be a degenerate, drinking and driving with your kids in the car, be reckless with kids in the car, putting 19 people on a boat, littering, generally not giving 0 F$#KS about anything... its a shame. A year ago I met this guy in his mid 20's a national that lives in Cholla bay. I saw him picking up trash in cholla bay and it might have been the first time that I had ever seen a local picking up trash. I asked him why and told him that and he said its because he's from cholla bay and lives there and doesnt want it that way. Why dont more locals feel this sentiment?!
When we do food distribution in the barrio, we also hand out candy to the kids... one thing I like to tell the kids is pick up a piece of trash and you get the candy.. Hopefully they will associate rewards with keeping an area clean... I'm hoping again as they grow the reward will change from candy to taking pride in their clean barrio...

Something else that's really disturbing are fireworks... what goes up must come down... if you are here and going to shoot off fireworks on the beach pick up before you shoot it up... let's say if you have 10 rockets to launch, pick up 10 pieces of fireworks remnants before you light up the night sky... they're easy to to find on any beach during the day, but I'll bet after shooting them off, just about everyone will walk away and leave them at night....

jerry

i was in Acapulco years ago watching the cliff divers one Sunday from a perch near our classic hippie van...Some mexican nationals pull up and dump a bag of garbage in the divers landing zone...Hey I like to go to the land fill and throw crap out my window...it's just like old times...but Sonora needs a anti litter campaign