new vx pickup truck

jerry

new vw pickup truck

I was behind a brand new little vw pickup truck last week at a checkpoint.I wondered with these things cost in mexico,,,mileage? ...could you bring one to the states?...really nice looking truck

Last edited:
It is next to impossible to bring a vehicle sold in Mexico and have it titled and licensed in the US. Something to do about cars sold having to meet US safety and emission standards.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The only part I can answer is that you won't be able to bring it (import it) to the US. You may be able to drive it in for a period of time if it is registered in Mexico, but you'll never get it registered in the US. Two reasons - safety standards for US vehicles and emissions standards. Sure, you could spend a boatload of money on it to modify it, but by then? Not even worth it. The same holds true for many Mercedes and other vehicles built outside the US. You have to buy one that was built for the US market or you'll never be able to legally import it. Kind of sucks, but that's the way it works.

That said, before they ended "Beetle" production in Mexico, there was an outfit in Nogales that would build a brand new Beetle for you. The catch was -- you had to bring them a wrecked or scrapped Beetle that was originally titled in the US. They used the pan and those original VIN numbers to build you a brand new one. They could skirt the import law because the Beetle had originally been sold in the US market, so it was a rebuild, not a new vehicle. I'm sure they, like the Beetles, are long since gone.

T

Tomcat

I used to replace vehicles for the fed's US Forest Service and they dont even get the titles. We just slapped a gov plate on it and recorded it in the fleet logs. When I did Motorcycles and ATV's it was the same deal. Ever vehicle coming into the USA has a ( MANUFACTURER’S CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN (MCO) Its the same in most parts of the world. And every vehicle has different requirements to be title in the USA.

Not ever state has the same rules. California for one example has stricter emission standards and the same vehicle sold in Washington State might not be excepted to be registered in California.

So from what I saw each vehicle is different to try and import and license in USA and each State. Some might not be to much to convert to US standards and some might way to expensive or impossible.

Research the vehicle you like ! Ask VW dealer why there not sold here anymore. ( because I owned a 1980 VW truck in Washington for 2 year before) or if they know what it takes to meet USA standards.

Have fun

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
The european Ford Fiesta gets 65 miles to the gallon and I think its available in Mexico, it is also diesel. But I would be embarrased to drive one, back in the 1990's Paul Rodriguez said during one of his shows. " If you drive a Ford Fiesta, its a sure sign that none of your goals were ever achieved and none of your dreams ever came true." They were some crappy little cars.

Last edited:
T

Tomcat

Quote from the article. (So, why won’t we see the 5-seat Amarok sold in the U.S.? The so-called “chicken tax,” a 25 percent tax on any truck imported into the U.S., is the likely culprit. If I were in market for a small diesel pickup—a vehicle sadly missing in the U.S. market) SAD facts. If big business in USA can't make enough money from the sale of small pickups it simple makes it unavailable to the US market. It would be nice to let the USA buyers have a choice and decide ! Another example of big business running this country not our elected officials. I better stop right here on my big business feelings in USA grrrrrrrrrrrr
Cool little truck. The article is correct, though -- there is no such thing as a small diesel truck in the US market (unfortunately). You want diesel, you gotta go with one of the big three's 3/4 ton or bigger trucks. Small very fuel efficient diesel cars and truck are popular all over Europe; the US continues its addiction to gasoline.

MIRAMAR

My parents had a 1980 (?) VW diesel pickup- it got such good mpg back then when I drove it I never looked to see if I needed gas. I ran out of diesel on the freeway about 30 miles outside of Tucson. The truck would only go about 65 mph, unless you got behind a big truck, and you could go up to about 70 mph. Since gas prices have sky rocketed, I've thought of getting one of those pickups. Sorry to hear they don't sell them anymore in the US.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Jerry, isnt this the same truck the Marines are driving down Santo Tomas way? If not it looks very similar.

Roberto

The european Ford Fiesta gets 65 miles to the gallon and I think its available in Mexico, it is also diesel. But I would be embarrased to drive one, back in the 1990's Paul Rodriguez said during one of his shows. " If you drive a Ford Fiesta, its a sure sign that none of your goals were ever achieved and none of your dreams ever came true." They were some crappy little cars.
What's wrong with this Ford Fiesta !?!?!!? I can se you and Fab toolin through Penasco in one.