No booze in RP weekend of July 4th!

Hey all, anyone coming to RP over Fourth of July weekend should know that no alcohol will be sold anywhere...liquor stores, bars, restaurants will all be DRY on Saturday and Sunday due to the elections to be held on the 5th.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Hey all, anyone coming to RP over Fourth of July weekend should know that no alcohol will be sold anywhere...liquor stores, bars, restaurants will all be DRY on Saturday and Sunday due to the elections to be held on the 5th.
Wow, there's going to be some mad people :)

HAPPY

User is currently banned
Tyler
____
I like pie

Wow, there's going to be some mad people

:boat: Vroom vroom

M

m4shawn

Wow.... this has got to be a fist to the crotch of all the bar and restaurant owners on one of the best summer weekends for American tourists.

I'd say something ignorant about how this is really stupid of the government, but -- yea -- that'd be ignorant. It's an American holiday after all. Oh well; suck it up PP business people.

Aw, Shawn...go ahead. We all know it's stupid. I feel like when my hubby and I have a tiff...afterward he's careful around me and all I want is for him to get back to normal!

I know in the States no booze is sold on election day, right? But why include Saturday? Also, there's a rumor here that Sandy Beach will be exempt...no confirmation yet, but it sucks. I talked to Mike at Latitude 31 and Manny. Nobody's happy about it. Right now I think it's just important to get the word out so people won't be disappointed when they get here.

Yeah, I thought a while back they changed the law to exclude tourist areas--or that bars could sell but stores couldn't. Maybe the other way around. Now I understand why none (well, most) of the rental units I've been looking up hadn't marked the 4th of July as a holiday weekend. Thought it was a trick, then I'd pick up the key and hear, "Oh, we forgot to tell you..."

Where did you find that info, Rosy? Is it on your site already?

Just found this: http://www.allbusiness.com/north-america/mexico/873392-1.html

"Senate Approves Legislation to Eleminate Dry Law on Election Day"

Wednesday, March 15 2006

"In a unanimous vote in late February, the Senate approved changes to the electoral code (Codigo Federal de Instituciones y Procedimientos Electorales, COFIPE), eliminating a federal prohibition on alcohol sales on the federal election day. The changes to the dry law, in effect for almost a century, will be applicable to the presidential and congressional elections on July 2, 2006.

Under the reform to article 239 of the COFIPE, restaurants and other establishments will no longer be subject to federal restrictions on the sale of alcoholic products on election day and the day prior to the election."

OK, this article refers to the 2006 Presidential and Congressional elections, but nothing about local elections, other than the very end, which is still not addressing Mayoral or other races: "The COFIPE reform retained a clause that allows state and local authorities to decide whether to keep the prohibition in place locally."

Haven't found anything recent on this subject yet, though I'm only searching in English.

I first heard about it from Oscar Palacio, President of the Office of Conventions and Visitors last Thursday...too late to put it in the paper last week. It will be in this week.

Oscar also owns Playa Bonita, so he should know. Today I talked to Mike Riggs, owner of Latitude 31 and then with Manny Sanchez of Manny's Beach Club. Mike had already talked to the Alcohol Licensing people and Manny had called the State office in Hermosillo.

I had Paty from my office call and the answer was the same...that on Friday night, sales end at midnight. Saturday and Sunday are dry. Tomorrow I'll find out if Sandy Beach has to follow the same rule book.

Where's Jim? He should've been told by the licensing board as well.

Ahh, gotcha. As I was going through old forum posts on TripAdvisor.com re: recent elections and people wondering if their vacation was about to be ruined over the 4th, many had replies that the resorts they had booked assured them they were allowed to serve guests during the dry period, even though bars, etc. were dry.

I'm guessing the theory is that these wristband-required hotels may fall into a "private license" loophole, even though the Sandy Beach resorts will normally (in my experience) serve non-guests in their restaurants/bars. (Outside of Spring Break, etc.) Could this be what the Sandy Beach rumor is based on?

Could be those resorts in Cabo were just straight-up lying over the phone to the TripAdvisor posters, OR someone with a vested interest was posting misinformation.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Jim

Unfortunatly that is what we were told at the Camel Toe also. Friday midnight until Sunday midnight. Oh well, at least I can go out to the beach myself. (I'll stock up on Friday)

Waiting for an email back from Mike at Chango's to see what they told him, or if he knows if the Sandy Beach resorts are exempt.

Off topic: The Chango's site has been down for a couple of days and they opened up a Facebook "fan" page around the same time, not sure if the two events are connected. According to the FB wall page, a bassist from one of the Chango's house bands passed away this weekend and they're having tribute nights with the proceeds going to the bassist's wife, who is expecting sometime soon.

My first experience in RP was a few years ago over the 4th of July weekend. We had no idea that they'd stop selling alcohol on Friday at midnight until one of the shop owners told us. We stocked up and had a great time any way. One of the teenagers in our group was secretly selling a few bottles of beers to some of the neighbors!

Well, cut out Chango's. It'll be dry as well. Still not sure about the resorts, though.

OK, he just clarified. No booze at the Sandy Beach resorts either.

Last edited:
J

Jamie75

I will tell you from our experience a few years back..they wouldn't even let us drink by the pool or on the beach. We were renting on Sandy Beach and had to sign paperwork stating we would not consume alcoholic beverages anywhere o the property exept in our rooms. The police were partrolling the beaches all weekend too. LAME. It's such a downer for such a big weekend.

WTF??? That's insane. Which place were you at? I've never heard of them going THAT far, just that nobody was selling. And the police were patrolling like down by Las Conchas?

HAPPY

User is currently banned
My Friends, My Friends,
Don't be mad, don't be sad,

Don't worry, be HAPPY

The landlord says your rent is late ~~~
He may have to litigate ~~~

Don't worry, be HAPPY

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Buy some extra before the weekend and hit the ocean with Ray Ramirez and the Pancho Villa, I just got a message he is taking the PV out for a sunset cruise for 20.00 pp. He has margies available but BYOB just a heads up.