OK How was the weekend

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Beautiful flat water all weekend, perfect tides with only a 3 foot change all day. Couldn't have asked for better water conditions. Water temp pretty consistent at about 78 degrees.

Saturday, we opted to grouper hunt at some of the reefs west of Cholla Bay. Lots of boats out this weekend. We got to the 18 and both hooked up some nice live wigglers, a mackerel for Connie, a bonefish for me. I had barely hit bottom when I nearly got yanked over the side. I put the pole in my belt and managed to hang on, drag being pulled (even though fully tightened down on 100 lb. PowerPro line). The power and stress of this strike was too much. The roller guides bent and the rod snapped in half, with a piece of it striking me in the face. I immediately looked for the line, thinking I'd handline this fish if I had to, but no such luck. The line broke when the rod snapped. 130 lb. test rod, same one I've used to catch black seabass one, looking like shredded toothpicks on the deck. Wow, that was something! Asked the wife if I was bleeding, and she said no blood, just a red mark on my face.

We hung out on the 18 awhile longer, then headed out further. This time, we both baited live bonefish. Connie was on in no time. I helped her fight the fish and up pops a nice 65 lb. grouper. Saw Ric a mile away and motored over by him to chat for a minute, then headed back for another pass on the reef. Connie again, this time a little bit smaller, but still respectable grouper. I continued to lament the one that got away. We used up our live bonefish; they didn't seem interested in the sand bass baits. Headed back in to call it a day.

Sunday, we made lots of baits and went to the 51. Lots of boats out there. Connie drops a live mack and instant bendo. 25 lb. halibut. We moved around a bit looking for the halibut's brother, but no takers, other than a few gold-spotted bass here and there. After the tide change at 3:00, Connie again hooks up. This time, a nice 25 lb. white seabass.

So, other than playing bait boy and boat captain, I never got on a nice fish all weekend, other than the one that busted up a perfectly good rod. There is some good blue water out there right now and the sargasso is forming up nicely. We had both a dorado and a yellowtail, as well as schools of barracuda, around the boat, but they all had lockjaw and wouldn't bite anything we threw their way. I'm predicting we'll have a good dorado season this year, within a couple of weeks. There are also some very large manta rays cruising around there right now. 7-8 foot wingspans, really gorgeous creatures.

Just another beautiful weekend on the Sea of Cortez! :-D

Pix:

Attachments

Last edited:

Shawno

Great report Stuart. It sounds like a wonderful weekend to be out on the water. Bonefish really are good grouper bait. Damn, Connie sure is one lucky fisherwoman, either that or you are a master baiter. Isn't it amazing how powerful and explosive those gulf grouper can be?

We were fishing the 12 mile reef last year during the tournament and I was using a baby yellowtail for live bait. I put the rod in the rod holder for a minute and before I knew it was doubled over and SNAP ... and the line was gone too. Good thing you didn't lose an eye. I hope to see you in a couple weeks on R&R.

MIRAMAR

Stuart, I sent your fishing report to my brother-in-law in Buffalo NY who is the "Stuart" of the Niagara River and Lake Erie, famous for Muskee fishing (he's in the Muskee Hall of Fame!). He laughed at your report and your wife catching the fish, said it sounded familiar. I keep trying to get him to go out fishing when in Penasco, and maybe after reading your report he will! Thanks.