Our visit to the schools

:usa: :mexico: We had a great day... some of our local friends joined in to lend us a hand to deliver two loads of school supplies to the schools we help out in the barrios...

watch this short video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXzxjx6sFZA

A big portion of the supplies that we delivered today were a donation from azbeachboy (Chuck) and his mother Jean... these supplies were part of the donations from the Tricycle Races... Thanks again Chuck... also Thanks again to InkaRoads rockyptjoe Penasco Pirate Jim and the Camel Toe Cantina for the tricycles used in the races I hope we can do it again and have a bit more success in raising some cash donations to purchase items needed by the schools...

fasteddy donated cash and we are going to use that donation to purchase a couple file cabinets from Treasures 4 Teachers, where some great bargins are available...

We are looking for donations of file cabinets, desks, white boards, copier\printer, water coolers and A\C window units for the classrooms...

And last but most important we need another water pump for our new school so the children can wash their hands and flush after using the restrooms... I had to swim 5 miles in order for us to get the last one we purchased... please help I don't want to start training to do that swim again... I'm not up for it after going over my handle bars and onto the street this morning while riding my mountain bike... :oops:

Last edited:

Jim

Very Cool Mark. Sorry things didn't go off quite as planned. Hopefully we can try again sometime.

A

azbeachboy

Some things just make you smile :-D Mark, Mom will be down on the next full moon with a computer.

Some things just make you smile :-D Mark, Mom will be down on the next full moon with a computer.
Chuck your Mom is an Angel... that is one of the items we are seeking for the new school we are taking on... they are in a very poor barrio and have a very big list of items needed...

Jim, do you think that some other type of activity could be sponsored at the Toe during October? Many people come down that month and perhaps it could help out the project. Maybe some good ideas could be rallied off this thread. Just a thought.

Great News...

And last but most important we need another water pump for our new school so the children can wash their hands and flush after using the restrooms... I had to swim 5 miles in order for us to get the last one we purchased... please help I don't want to start training to do that swim again...
Great News for the children and me... the children will be able to wash their hands and flush after using the restrooms... and I won't need to swim again to get funds for the pump... after talking with our friend Art Sloane and going over our budget we have found enough cash to purchase the water pump for the school...

This is one of the first and most important steps we take on when we Adopt-A-Classroom or in this case a new school... there's more to an education than just what's in the books... we also stress the importance of personal hygen as well as physical education...

We still need file cabinets, water coolers, copier\printer, teachers desks, tables and chairs, white boards and markers and window A\C units for the classrooms...

Thank you for your support...

Last edited:
WooHoo

You can really find some great people on this forum... if you know me the hardest work I do is finding a way to keep me from having to work at all...

well we have raised the cash for the pump and materials needed for the school, and now our very own member here "Roberto" has graciously volanteered to do the installation...

so guys if you know and see Roberto give him a pat on the back... ladies you can give him a pat on the butt if you'd like... he may like it too...

thanks Roberto :sunny:

Last edited:
Update 9/18/2009

Barb and I had the pleasure of meeting Roberto this morning, and we just returned from another visit to our new school...

after further assessment of the situation we have concluded that water pressure is not the main concern, the fact is that the faucets and drains in the restrooms are in need of urgent attention, and the ceptic system is possibly full and is seeping and is much more of a concern...

Roberto is going to get with one of his connections in town to have the ceptic system inspected and or overhauled... this work would be far from our budget so we will see if we can get the city involved if repairs are too costly...

once again big thanks to Roberto and we are very happy to have your input and interest in helping with our passion of seeing that the children of Rocky Point get the quality education they deserve...

Last edited:
Mark....kudos for all the work you're doing....

I'm just curious....who is responsible for the schools....Penasco?, Sonora?, Mexico?....for the basic stuff.....like making sure that the toilets work, the kids have books and teachers....etc., etc., etc.??????

thanks Joe

a lot of the cost and sweat equity falls on the parents of the students, and since these schools are in pretty poor barrios that is why we are trying to help... but this septic problem would most likely be on the city...

we are looking into it as we assess the severity of the problem and if it is too bad then we need to find out who is responsible for repairs... be it the city, state or federal...

Last edited:
Need some info... can anyone tell me where to find those single faucets with the auto shut-off spring loaded handles like you see in public restrooms...

we need to replace the plastic faucets in the restrooms at the new school and these are what we need... we need 5 of them to be specific...

:usa: thanks for your help... :mexico:

Chuck... we will be seeing your Mom this morning and we will be heading to the school to take them the soccer balls and baseball equipment they brought...

our friend Luis from La Curva Restaurant is going to install windows in espaniol on the computer and we will take that over after he finishes...

I just love your mothers Full Moon visits... as do the children...

Barb took our friend Hiedi Atencio (her father was the original owner of Playa Elegante RV Park) to the school last Monday and Hiedi adopted the second grade and brought supplies and goodies for all the children of the 2 second grade classes...

:usa:Thanks Mucho to all of you that offer support and help us with the children...:mexico:

Roberto

Mark....kudos for all the work you're doing....

I'm just curious....who is responsible for the schools....Penasco?, Sonora?, Mexico?....for the basic stuff.....like making sure that the toilets work, the kids have books and teachers....etc., etc., etc.??????
Apparently the Federal Govt. out of an office in Hermosillo in the case of Penasco is responsible for the operation of the schools. As Mark says, most of the responsibility for cleaning and maintainance seems to fall to the teachers and the families of the students.

Is there a company in Penasco that empties septic tanks? If so, and if they couldn't be convinced to do it for free, would it be possible for folks to chip in to pay to have it done? Would it have to be vetted first by some government authority and permits given? etc...

A friend of mine from way back when I was in grade school just sent me this message on my Facebook page...

Mark, send me the name of the school and where it is located. I have a board meeting on Wednesday afternoon and let me see if their is something that our (Rotary) club may be able to help out with. I am the club service chairman, which I get involved with handing out monies and we can also get matching grants. Let me see if I might be able to help you all out.

things are looking up...

Last edited:
just a few shots of the school and some of the children with Gene Weber who donated the soccer balls, baseball equipment and school supplies... Thanks Gene....

and I'm in there with the schools director, Profr. Jose Raymundo Caro Medina and the phys. ed. teacher....

Attachments

This message is for all of you

We just received this message in an email from Chucks (azbeachboy) mom who sent it for Gene who is lucky enough to not own a computer. Which in turn allows him to spend more of his time helping others like he helped us. I wanted to share this with all of you because we couldn't do what we are doing without your help, you all deserve a pat on the back, because it's your munificence that enables us to fulfill our passion.

Barb and Mark,
Thank you for taking me to the school
It was thoughtful of you to bring the soccerballs,
so I could experience the joy of the students receiving them.
The visit to the school provided me with an awareness of how my
donations are needed and appreciated.
Question: What is the average number of children in each classroom?
Barb and Mark, you are to be commended for all of your work and time
in helping so many, especially the children.
My parish priest often says, " We should live simply, so others can simply live."

Best Regards

Gene Weber

This is just one of the many letters of support and encouragement we have recently received from an outpouring of new friends that we have made here on this forum... Tyler, Thank you for the stump to stand on to get our message out, and again to all... we can't thank you enough...

Barb & Mark