Paint peeling problem in RP

Landshark

Looking for someone that has found a paint or painting procedure that will resist peeling or blistering on a beach front home RP. We thought we had found a solution by using Dunn Edwards top of the line exterior paint and primer, as suggested by DE techs. Scraped, power washed, repaired as necessary, primed and painted before the salt air contaminated the surface. Looked awesome for a year, then started blistering. Coming off in large pieces, all the way down to the stucco, primarily on the beach side. Many of these areas had been stripped to the stucco, so it wasn't prior paint jobs leading to the failure. Lots of time and money wasted. Need to repaint, but not sure where we went wrong. Any ideas???

InkaRoads

cronopiador
how about a thin layer of stucco with the color pigment mixed on it and cement adhesive to adhere to excisting stucco after power wash , I will check a small area first, not a pro at it, maybe Jerry can shoot some better ideas since he is the concrete pro!!

playaperro

El Pirata
I call him Poncho

Shark you can call a mexican pro painter his name is Don Poncho #638 112 0335. When only the best will do.:stir:Sounds like you did better than most would do. He's not expensive....

Landshark from what you stated it sounds like you put on D.E. elastomeric paint please advise the product & I can help you .

jerry

Sorry to hear that because painting really does suck.My guess is it might have not been prepped properly.A good etcher/degreaser before you primed might have saved a lot of work I have Dunn Edwards on my green house http://www.flickr.com/photos/corvid/sets/72157594375542629/ and it looks the same as it did 3 years ago.My other house has crappy Behr paint and it is Chalky and needs redoing after 4 years.
Now I will be using the stuff below the next time I paint as it lowers the inside temp up to 15 degrees and really works (I sell it in Tucson and can hook you up in phoenix with a better deal than you would get off the street) Email me some pictures.How far are you from the high tide line?
EnerG H.R. Architecturaltm Heat Reflective Paint is a superior high performance heat reflective, thermal insulating exterior wall coating system. It is uniquely engineered to combine maximum solar reflectance and thermal insulative properties to achieve the best efficiency possible.

Optimum solar reflectance (up to 95%) is achieved by integrating true Infrared Reflective pigments. This allows solar reflectance across all color spectrums and is not limited to just white or light pastel colors. The emissive heat that passes through the topcoat is further diminished by the insulative primer. This true energy efficient coating system can reduce surface temperatures up 50° F and interior building temperatures up to 15° F.

Landshark

Fish, the paint that we used was DE Enduracryl. I don't remember it being called an elastomeric, but it is an extremely flexible, semigloss paint. It remained so flexible that it never seemed to harden up. If it rained, water would become trapped under the paint in an area that was peeling forming a large water filled blister that sagged on the bottom. When the water dried out, the blister had a powder residue left at the bottom. The primer that we used was also DE and called Flexprime. The primer and paint peel off as one.

well you probaly didnt have the surface dried out enough before the flex prime was applied trapping in moisture between the stuuco surface & the elasatomeric paint , I know it might look dry but the moisture has to escape externally not thru the inside. a typical way of testing the surface is to take a 2x2 piece of plastic duct tape it to the surface & see if any condensation forms inside the plastic. Being as close to the ocean as you are elastomeric products are nt a a great choice.

Landshark

Thanks for the info. Planning to repaint a section of the house next weekend. What paint and primer do you suggest using? The plastic test sounds like a good idea. How long do you suggest waiting between power washing and plastic test/priming this time of year?

Landshark

Jerry, I didn't know that an etcher/degreaser was a good idea before painting a stucco surface. I do understand the importance of properly prepping a surface prior to painting, so this doesn't come as a surprise. What product do you suggest? I checked out the heat reflective paint you suggested. Has anyone in RP used it at beachfront? Also saw the price...WOW! Must be some damn good stuff!

jerry

dilute it 20-1
Product Data Downloads
Soy-It Degreaser PDS

Material Safety Data Download
Soy-It Degreaser MSDS

Soy-It™ Bio-Based Concentrate Degreaser replaces highly volatile products such as; terpenes, petrochemical based products, including mineral spirits, D'Limonene and Naptha. It is a high performance industrial cleaner/degreaser that is bio based, non-flammable, non-toxic and is very low in VOC. A safe and effective solution for; automotive, aircraft, agricultural, marine cleaning and general degreasing operations. Use Soy-It to prepare substrate surfaces for painting, sealing, or application of other coating finishes.

This neutral PH, low VOC, bio-based all-purpose cleaner will not damage aluminum, stone or plastics, yet is as effective as any butyl or alkaline products on the market. In grease plate tests, Soy-It Concentrate exceeded the leading commercial all purpose concentrate as well as all other commercially available cleaners tested.

The advanced soy formulation easily removes grease, oils, carbon, lipstick, dirt and grime. Soy-It may be used ready to use or diluted with water depending on the application. Dilution ratio is up to 1:30. It is safe for use on concrete, aluminum, finished and unfinished wood, painted surfaces, vinyl flooring, grill hoods, automotive and fleet finishes, upholstery, carpet and more...

Soy-It All-Purpose Degreaser is environmentally sound and it has been approved by the EPA's Design for the Environment program as well as some the leading industrial and food service suppliers in the United States.

Soy-It Industrial Degreas

I use elastomeric products from several different suppliers ONLY for problem situations !!! and if your house was properly prepped & the paint was applied right you wouldnt be having a peeling problem for about 10 years. I would suggest a couple ways to handle the situation 1. If its not a great amount of area thats peeling scrape back the spots that are peeling until the paint is tight to the surface , you will probaly find that its going to peel off like a tent , but if it doesnt you can re apply the flex prime & paint . e-mail me @ [email protected] and I can help you if that doesnt fix it.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Jerry, can Soy-it be use for general cleaning purposes in a household? where can you find it? is it one of the products you sale?

Kenny

the stuff is amazing!

Jerry, can Soy-it be use for general cleaning purposes in a household? where can you find it? is it one of the products you sale?
Ink they have different kinds for different uses. At the College the use it in the print shop, and the stuff is amazing! I googled this real quick, and just added "cleaner" to Soy-it.http://www.bing.com/search?q=Soy-it+cleaner&FORM=MYMSNA This one has a lot of different types, for a lot of different applications..http://www.thenaturalabode.com/green_home/cleaners/cleaner.htm

Last edited:

jerry

Yep i carry some of it.Basically it comes in varied strengths and combinations that fit the job. I have some samples so stop by next time you are downtown

jerry

I've been thinking about his problem and my guess is the power washing soaps reaction to the sals might have been the problem.That is why i suggested degreasing.DE is my paint of choice (except the Soy paints) and i have never seen it mess up like that even when you put it over a rusty gate without priming.

I use elastomeric products from several different suppliers ONLY for problem situations !!! and if your house was properly prepped & the paint was applied right you wouldnt be having a peeling problem for about 10 years. I would suggest a couple ways to handle the situation 1. If its not a great amount of area thats peeling scrape back the spots that are peeling until the paint is tight to the surface , you will probaly find that its going to peel off like a tent , but if it doesnt you can re apply the flex prime & paint . e-mail me @ [email protected] and I can help you if that doesnt fix it.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I think his problem is simple. He was supposed to drink the beer, not mix it in the paint!!:rofl:

Kenny

Yep i carry some of it.Basically it comes in varied strengths and combinations that fit the job. I have some samples so stop by next time you are downtown
Come to think of it Jerry, don't you have some in a spray bottle at the Green house in Las Dunas that we use for cleaning up?

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
Come to think of it Jerry, don't you have some in a spray bottle at the Green house in Las Dunas that we use for cleaning up?
Cleaning up, I bet you look funny with an apron on Kenny...:rofl:Sorry Kenny could'nt resit...:stir: