Penasco/Caborca Road Condition

JimMcG

I wonder if anyone can give me an update on the road improvements and general condition, verses just taking the Sonoyta/Caborca road instead.
Thanks.

I wonder if anyone can give me an update on the road improvements and general condition, verses just taking the Sonoyta/Caborca road instead.
Thanks.
About a week ago, workers were patching the huge potholes, and completed them at least to Mayan. It is still a bumpy ride, but not so treacherous.

JimMcG

About a week ago, workers were patching the huge potholes, and completed them at least to Mayan. It is still a bumpy ride, but not so treacherous.
Right. I was also concerned about the road conditions all the way to Caborca but it sounds like there are a great deal of unfinished and routinely, unmaintained stretches which might still make a safer bet to go through Sonoyta.

jerry

Right. I was also concerned about the road conditions all the way to Caborca but it sounds like there are a great deal of unfinished and routinely, unmaintained stretches which might still make a safer bet to go through Sonoyta.
Always good to Heradura mine turnoff coming from Caborca.....

JimMcG

Always good to Heradura mine turnoff coming from Caborca.....
Last year we took the Sonoyta route, primarily due to the flooded washes and resulting water damage to the roads but we have driven the Caborca/Penasco road in the past. What about the stretch from the Heradura mine turnoff to Penasco? Would it be worth taking versus the Sonoyta route?

Last edited:

Landshark

Yea, it's bad. Everybody is driving like they are racing, swerving and driving on the wrong side trying to miss the potholes. One lady in a car hugged her side, dropped off the pavement, swerved back on the road and right at me. Glad I was in my truck but scary.

jerry

From Caborca to y Griega almost no potholes worth speaking of...I vote for Nogales route....this Caborca image.jpg meal,with chips and 3 salsas,Salad,cheese crisp,much Cervezas came to 35 bucks for two people...would have been forty two if we paid in dollars

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
From Caborca to y Griega almost no potholes worth speaking of...I vote for Nogales route....this Caborca View attachment 7515 meal,with chips and 3 salsas,Salad,cheese crisp,much Cervezas came to 35 bucks for two people...would have been forty two if we paid in dollars

There's a lot more to worry about in y-griega than potholes...

mondone

Whitecaps
The road from town to the Playa Encanto turn off is a nasty ass drive both ways. They have cut 3 foot squares in the road to fix I guess. What a mess.... Be careful , x 2
They can't fix that road fast enough. It's really becoming a very dangerous situation. Worse than ever. Been driving on the wrong side at many spots this week and not the safest but no choice.