Penasco Fishing Tournament June 13

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Anybody have plans to fish the tournament? I'm considering putting together a "pro team" for the event to see if we can make a run for it. Maybe myself, Ric, Shawno, and Audi or someone else. Optionally, I'd be willing to charter myself out to give someone else's team a chance to get in the money. :razz:

I guess there was some grumbling about the Mexican team that won it last year with a big black seabass that looked like it had been dead for days. I didn't see it, so no comment on my part.

I don't have any details on the tourney; will have to dig around and see if I can find a link with details... Okay, some info. Mostly in espanol at this link:
http://www.cometorockypoint.com/deepsea_tournament.html

Basics - $60 per person on the boat. All people on the boat must be registered to fish. Must be signed up by Friday, June 12th. Up to 200 lb. line weight *mono* maximum (don't know if this specifically excludes Spectra, but it does say mono line). No electric reels. Handlines are allowed.
Target species: Baya (grouper), pinto, and sardinera (leopard grouper) only. Mininum weight for fish - Baya 40 lbs, pinto 20 lbs, sardinera 8 lbs.
Anybody seen near a commercial boat is disqualified. Fishing starts at 6:00 am both Sat. and Sun. Ends 6:00pm on Sat. and 4:00pm on Sun. Several other rules, but typical stuff.

Oddly enough, it doesn't say anything about what the prizes are or basis of cash distribution to the winners???

Obviously, with grouper and pintos being the only target species, this going to be a BIG fish tournament. I've had some good luck with big fish in the past, but you know how that goes - with everybody and their mother out hunting for them at the same time, they can suddenly get very scarce. A little luck and a live bonefish for bait never hurts!

Last edited:

Shawno

Hi Stuart! Art Pina and I fished the tournament last year on his Grady White "Big Daddy" and will fish it again this year. If I remember right, the prizes were $2000 USD plus a Penn 6/0, a big game rod, and a nice bottle of tequila for the largest black seabass. The other species had similar prizes except $1500 cash for the Gulf Grouper, $1000 cash for the Pinto, and $500 for the Leopard Grouper. Art Pina won the Leopard Grouper catagory and I caught the third largest Gulf Grouper (62 lb, no prizes). We heard rumors that the grand prize this year was a new pickup truck, but I kinda doubt it.

They had a light seafood buffet on Sunday night at Safe Marina when announcing the winners, but nothing on Saturday night. I'm just looking forward to fishing and getting out of Baghdad for a couple weeks.

P.S. I agree that the winning black last year looked like it was caught early ... as in earlier that week.

Last edited:
L

longranger

Hi all
New to this site, great info, hope to make the event
bob

Kelney

I thought about putting together a "novice" team for the event. My game plan would be to shadow the "pro team". Unfortunately, my crew would be fighting off the effects of a night of shenanigans so I doubt we could be up and ready to launch by the 6:00 am start time when the pros are leaving.

Hey Stuart, all you need is your wife along, she catches all the fish!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Audi didn't, but should of. He came in with 100 lb. and 85 lb. groupers on Sun. and would have taken 1st place (from what I hear). Scott and Doug took 2nd, I believe. I haven't seen the results or pics yet. Saturday was blown out and Sunday was rough, but not as bad as Saturday. I'm sure that kept the numbers down.

Jim

I didn't try to fish but I can attest to the windy weather. We had a monsoon like wind storm come through here Friday evening. It really tore stuff up at the Camel Toe. Yesterday was pretty windy and it doesn't look good today either. Happy Fathers Day to all you Dads.