Penasco fishing tourney

Roberto

Why do posters here lack the relevant 'call to action' detailng HOW one participates WHERE to contact?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
from the website which is listed on the flier"

The fifth edition of the Puerto Penasco Deep Sea Fishing Cup will be held July 7 – 8 2012. This is the most important sports fishing tournament in Rocky Point and draws participating fishermen from the US, Canada, and Mexico who, with the backdrop of the amazing Sea of Cortes, test their abilities and boats in search of victory. Stay in touch with us for more information as it becomes available [email protected]. The official program will be available shortly and great prizes are once again anticipated for winners in each category.

Roberto

Oh, you mean that little ad at the bottom that says: For Vacation Deals Visit: COMETOROCKYPOINT.COM ? Since I was looking for info on the tourney and not a vacation deal it never occurred to me. Besides if it actually a paper poster to be put around town, how's that gonna work? What's wrong with providing all the info needed for the viewer to follow up like WHO to contact. They gotta run to a computer and check on the web, por que??

Sorry, one of my pet peeves. Is that one of your websites Russ?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
<dials Ric, Shawno, Zombie Crazy Charlie>

Hey... we're puttin' the band back together.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
So, has anybody from the forum entered the tourney...?

I've heard the prizes are actually pretty good this year; but the story from a couple years ago about the locals driving up at the last minute with the 200lb Black Sea Bass in the pickup truck that looked like it had been frozen for 6 months kind of makes me incredulous about the whole thing, quite frankly... :???:

I'm driving down on Thursday and will look over a copy of the rules and will make my final decision about whether or not to enter at that point... taking it right down to the last minute...

dmcauley

July is a poor choice for the tourney because of the windy conditions it is really hard to find a good day. May is the beginning of the spawn and as in the past, if one weekend gets cancelled there are always plenty more.
With the wind this weekend and the oppressive heat it will make for a poor showing. Too bad, it's usually a fun event and as for the planning. bad as usual.
That black sea bass was a big farce RB. but I think they have that under control now. That was like 4 years ago.

Shawno

Good luck, Dan. I hear that there are 40 people registered to fish this year, 10 American and 30 Mexican.

Last edited:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Thanks Art!

The winning Grouper was an 80 pounder. That fish earned a big $4000 paycheck- I'm not sure which boat took that prize...

Our boat took 2nd with a 76 pounder, and third with a 73 pounder. we got $500 each for those.

Jeff's winning Sardinero was 18 pounds and was good for $2000, 2nd place was 16 pounds, and we took 3rd with a 15 pounder.

Nobody won any prizes for Pinto - the minimum weight was 20 pounds for Pinto, and no one brought one in that big.

The story and pics from day one are posted on the web:

5th Deep Sea Fishing Tournament | Rocky Point 360

5th Deep Sea Fishing Tournament Day 1 | Rocky Point 360

Still waiting for the Day 2 story and pics to be posted....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Congrats, Rob! You've worked hard to get there. Funny, 80 lbs. seems to be that magic number. Much bigger than that and you just don't seem to get 'em in the boat. So close with a 76... damn! That's where a 5 lb. skipjack for bait coulda come in handy! Hahahaha!

I'm hoping to revel you in stories about how Connie outfished me again this weekend.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Congrats, Rob! You've worked hard to get there. Funny, 80 lbs. seems to be that magic number. Much bigger than that and you just don't seem to get 'em in the boat. So close with a 76... damn! That's where a 5 lb. skipjack for bait coulda come in handy! Hahahaha!

I'm hoping to revel you in stories about how Connie outfished me again this weekend.
If that happens, then you should consider entering HER in the tournament next year :lobster:

I hope you make it out Stu- the water is looking mucho mucho better. In fact, Jeff spotted two sails 15 miles out (one swam under their boat while they were on a drift), and we spotted a 3rd sail the following morning only 4 miles off Playa Encanto.

Jeff also said there was a thick current break between the Caballo and 30 mile reef.

If you are planning to go grouper fishing, then check your PM's.... :wink: