Peso Falling vs Dollar

tortuga

Well Known Member
EXCHANGE RATE US DOLLAR TO MEXICAN PESO
1.00 USD =21.684970 MXN
Mar 09, 2020 02:48 UTC

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Yep, It's 21.25 now on the currency exchange, if you withdrew pesos at an ATM in Mexico using a debit card from a US bank you would get that now.
Monday is going to be a WILD day for the Stock, Oil, Currency, Treasury, Bit Coin and Commodity Markets.
The CoronaVirus has been acting as a catalyst to fuel uncertainty in the world markets, they don't like that.

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
Yep, It's 21.25 now on the currency exchange, if you withdrew pesos at an ATM in Mexico using a debit card from a US bank you would get that now.
Monday is going to be a WILD day for the Stock, Oil, Currency, Treasury, Bit Coin and Commodity Markets.
The CoronaVirus has been acting as a catalyst to fuel uncertainty in the world markets, they don't like that.
So far lost 2 1/2 years of gains. Sad very sad. A correction was inevitable. Damn greed. The country responsible should only be able to eat ham sandwiches and reimburse the world for this agony. Mexico to loose 1.4 billion USD on e ports. It all trickles down.

Last edited:

IggyAZ

Well Known Member
Is it worth exchanging US dollars to Peso's at the bank in Puerto Penasco?
Coming down for 2 week and east out many days as well as buy stuff at Super Lay.
I have used US for my trip and just wondered what you thought.

Thanks

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Most restaurants and businesses are giving you 16-18 pesos to the dollar and if you get pesos at a
local ATM you should get close to 21 pesos to $$.

So use pesos and save yourself a few dollars

I will only use the Banamex ATM's in Sam's, the Bodega (Walmart) or the Super Norte across the street, ATM fee is 30 pesos and if you have
a debit card without foreign transaction fees even better saving you 2-3% (Capitol One, Schwab, for sure and I think B of A are No Foreign Fee's)

When you shop at Super Ley, buy about $10 of stuff and use a $50 bill get pesos in change, you'll get a really good exchange rate.
The Elektra store (next to TelMex office) does money exchange with pretty good rates, better than the exchange houses you see on Benito Juarez.

Or use your local bank in the US and get pesos they will charge you 2-5% depending on which one.
Well's Fargo charged me almost 3% when I got euros and British pounds last week.
I always get extra pesos in Penasco when I see the peso rise over 20-1 like it is today.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Most restaurants and businesses are giving you 16-18 pesos to the dollar and if you get pesos at a

I will only use the Banamex ATM's in Sam's, the Bodega (Walmart) or the Super Norte across the street, ATM fee is 30 pesos and if you have
a debit card without foreign transaction fees even better saving you 2-3% (Capitol One, Schwab, for sure and I think B of A are No Foreign Fee's)

When you shop at Super Ley, buy about $10 of stuff and use a $50 bill get pesos in change, you'll get a really good exchange rate.
The Elektra store (next to TelMex office) does money exchange with pretty good rates, better than the exchange houses you see on Benito Juarez.

Or use your local bank in the US and get pesos they will charge you 2-5% depending on which one.
Well's Fargo charged me almost 3% when I got euros and British pounds last week.
I always get extra pesos in Penasco when I see the peso rise over 20-1 like it is today.
Not a futures trader so when I woke up yesterday morning to see crude lose 30% in one day down to $36 a barrel I was happy! :) I want to thank Russia and Saudi Arabia for their price war. Keep on producing!!!

IggyAZ

Well Known Member

I usually do what you mentioned about buying at Super Lay. They have always been a fair exchange rate.
I also use the Bank on the corner of Freemont and Sinaloa but you need to brink your passport in for that.
Today the rate is 21 Pesos to a US dollar. Time to buy!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I usually do what you mentioned about buying at Super Lay. They have always been a fair exchange rate.
I also use the Bank on the corner of Freemont and Sinaloa but you need to brink your passport in for that.
Today the rate is 21 Pesos to a US dollar. Time to buy!
I'm going to buy some this week at a Banamex ATM I mentioned.
The bank you mentioned is ? BaNorte, I stopped using them because they were
not giving me the Market rate on Pesos at the ATM (they were posting their rate on the screen which was 1.5 pesos less)
and the ATM fee was almost 40 pesos. Are they still doing that?

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
Man do I wish we were close to Mexico to exchange right now . Let me tell you all, cherish that sun and fun , the south east coast of the US is not my cup of tea compared to the southwest and Mexico ! Does anyone know if there any silver exchange places in PP if one needed to sell silver someday , I don’t remember ever seeing any

tortuga

Well Known Member
Man do I wish we were close to Mexico to exchange right now . Let me tell you all, cherish that sun and fun , the south east coast of the US is not my cup of tea compared to the southwest and Mexico ! Does anyone know if there any silver exchange places in PP if one needed to sell silver someday , I don’t remember ever seeing any
Mac's Jewelry store might. On Noreelection about a block east and across the street from Rosy's.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Almost all of the Empenos (pawn shops) you see all over town buy and sell silver, gold, any precious metal or jewelry,. No idea about rates or competitiveness.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I got pesos today at the Banamex ATM in Sam's club, I received 20.7 to 1 including the 30.74 peso ATM fee.
Sam's was using a 19.99 exchange rate during check out.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

25-1. Could it go lower? Sounds like a lot of people aren't too happy with AMLO. Plus the femicide down south.... somebody serve him up a softball. This guy needs a break right now.

VegasDude

The wife used to live in Mexico 35 years ago. It was 140 pesos to the US dollar. So yeah it can always get worse

joanC

Well Known Member
It appears some folks here don't understand what Mexico did with it's currency many years ago. The numbers became too big: a toaster was priced at 50,000 pesos, which was say USD 20.00. So, Mx brought out it's new MXN currency. You took your 50,000 peso note to the bank and got a new 500 peso note. The toaster still cost USD 20.00.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
It appears some folks here don't understand what Mexico did with it's currency many years ago. The numbers became too big: a toaster was priced at 50,000 pesos, which was say USD 20.00. So, Mx brought out it's new MXN currency. You took your 50,000 peso note to the bank and got a new 500 peso note. The toaster still cost USD 20.00.
That must have started in 1995 because all currency trading data that I can find is 25 year history. Nothing previous to 95'.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
The wife used to live in Mexico 35 years ago. It was 140 pesos to the US dollar. So yeah it can always get worse
"The results came as the Mexican peso hit a new low, trading at 25 pesos per dollar for the first time ever."

25 year trading history.

Today was the highest mark in 25 years.