Pic of red tide!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
After reading Estero's submission this sounds to be a serious problem/threat to Puerto Penasco and the surrounding areas of the USOC.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Wouldn't bother me, Rob. I swam in Lake Erie for years in the 40's and 50's. This can't be worse than that.

On the other hand I'll pass next trip down. Besides, I lost my floaty belt. Actually, I traded it for my new
two brick purse.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
This is what NOAA has to say about it:

"Harmful algal blooms, or HABs, occur when colonies of algae—simple plants that live in the sea and freshwater—grow out of control while producing toxic or harmful effects on people, fish, shellfish, marine mammals, and birds. The human illnesses caused by HABs, though rare, can be debilitating or even fatal.

While many people call these blooms 'red tides,' scientists prefer the term harmful algal bloom. One of the best known HABs in the nation occurs nearly every summer along Florida’s Gulf Coast. This bloom, like many HABs, is caused by microscopic algae that produce toxins that kill fish and make shellfish dangerous to eat. The toxins may also make the surrounding air difficult to breathe. As the name suggests, the bloom of algae often turns the water red.

HABs have been reported in every U.S. coastal state, and their occurrence may be on the rise. HABs are a national concern because they affect not only the health of people and marine ecosystems, but also the 'health' of local and regional economies.

But not all algal blooms are harmful. Most blooms, in fact, are beneficial because the tiny plants are food for animals in the ocean. In fact, they are the major source of energy that fuels the ocean food web.

A small percentage of algae, however, produce powerful toxins that can kill fish, shellfish, mammals, and birds, and may directly or indirectly cause illness in people. HABs also include blooms of non-toxic species that have harmful effects on marine ecosystems. For example, when masses of algae die and decompose, the decaying process can deplete oxygen in the water, causing the water to become so low in oxygen that animals either leave the area or die.

Scientists at the National Ocean Service have been monitoring and studying this phenomenon for a number of years to determine how to detect and forecast the location of the blooms. The goal is to give communities advance warnings so they can adequately plan for and deal with the adverse environmental and health effects associated with these 'red-tide' events."

Last edited:
Wouldn't bother me, Rob. I swam in Lake Erie for years in the 40's and 50's. This can't be worse than that.

On the other hand I'll pass next trip down. Besides, I lost my floaty belt. Actually, I traded it for my new
two brick purse.
Eeew! You just reminded me of then and there . . . . the feeling of gushy mud between my toes while oil barges passed in the distance.

Landshark

This is what NOAA has to say about it:

"Harmful algal blooms, or HABs, occur when colonies of algae—simple plants that live in the sea and freshwater—grow out of control while producing toxic or harmful effects on people, fish, shellfish, marine mammals, and birds. The human illnesses caused by HABs, though rare, can be debilitating or even fatal.

While many people call these blooms 'red tides,' scientists prefer the term harmful algal bloom. One of the best known HABs in the nation occurs nearly every summer along Florida’s Gulf Coast. This bloom, like many HABs, is caused by microscopic algae that produce toxins that kill fish and make shellfish dangerous to eat. The toxins may also make the surrounding air difficult to breathe. As the name suggests, the bloom of algae often turns the water red.

HABs have been reported in every U.S. coastal state, and their occurrence may be on the rise. HABs are a national concern because they affect not only the health of people and marine ecosystems, but also the 'health' of local and regional economies.

But not all algal blooms are harmful. Most blooms, in fact, are beneficial because the tiny plants are food for animals in the ocean. In fact, they are the major source of energy that fuels the ocean food web.

A small percentage of algae, however, produce powerful toxins that can kill fish, shellfish, mammals, and birds, and may directly or indirectly cause illness in people. HABs also include blooms of non-toxic species that have harmful effects on marine ecosystems. For example, when masses of algae die and decompose, the decaying process can deplete oxygen in the water, causing the water to become so low in oxygen that animals either leave the area or die.

Scientists at the National Ocean Service have been monitoring and studying this phenomenon for a number of years to determine how to detect and forecast the location of the blooms. The goal is to give communities advance warnings so they can adequately plan for and deal with the adverse environmental and health effects associated with these 'red-tide' events."
After reading the reports it makes me wonder if the local seafood is safe for human consumption at this time. Obviously some of it is not. That said, how do you know which is safe and which should be avoided? Many local people rely on seafood to support them and their families. It is a big part of the local economy. From the fishermen, to the seafood vendors at the Malacon, to the restaurants and resorts and all the employees supporting these businesses. There is a lot of money to be made or lost, and it's hard for me to believe they are throwing out their high dollar product just in case it is contaminated. RP has always been known for it's world class seafood. It's one of the primary calling cards for tourists supporting the massive tourism industry. Reports say the HAB may last 3 months, Jan - March, which includes spring break. Millions of dollars/pesos at stake. I hope some good decisions are made and people aren't being poisoned over the all-mighty dollar. The last thing RP needs is another black eye.

Roberto

Well what I saw off the Malecon looked nothing like that. No red, at least from a beach view. Maybe and ariel shot would look different. While the odds of getting sick from seafood right now might be not too big, the consequences could be huge. Sonoran beef looks good right now.

MIRAMAR

From what I saw last weekend, it looked reddish to me, which is why I thought it might have been red tide. I hope not, but last time it lasted a few weeks.

Landshark

Well what I saw off the Malecon looked nothing like that. No red, at least from a beach view. Maybe and ariel shot would look different. While the odds of getting sick from seafood right now might be not too big, the consequences could be huge. Sonoran beef looks good right now.
Roberto, hope you are right and it's not widespread. Good idea about Sonoran beef, think I'll be doing that next time. Last time down we stopped at Cedesa for some steaks but they had moved. A friend said they were now located just past the Burger King in a small strip mall. Does that sound right?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Red tides aren't all that common in Penasco, but it's not the only kind of algae that does a weird bloom thing like that. While fishing San Carlos one year, we were about 20 miles out and noticed the water was turning a thick mustard yellow around us. We ran further south and again found some blue water. But within 15 minutes, the water there did the same thing. We eventually headed back in to the marina. We could not outrun the stuff and it was blooming as far as the eye could see. Very thick, too. It was slapping against the hull more like mud than water as we sloshed in through it. The following day, the bloom was gone, but so were the fish. It drove them all away.

Factoid..................

The critters in the photo are krill larvae. If any of them manage to drift back out to sea where they belong and survive, they will look like small cooked crawdads in a few weeks. They are the reason that the whales are here now.

Red Tide is composed of microscopic critters that are so dense that the water appears muddy red.

JJ