Pinacate Volcano Erupts Steam Plums 9-16-2012!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
How many active volcanos are in Mexico although the link, part of wikipedia, consider Pinacate as an "active" volcano, all other links I found consider El Pinacate as a "dormant" volcano, however they say that the last eruption from it must have been not to long ago possibly a couple of hundred years since there are stories from the Papagoes, known as Tohono O'Odham now, of eruptions happening, also must remember that from Tucson all the way to Rocky Point is a volcanic area, where the biggest volcano was located in what it is known as the Tucson Mountains, to the west of Tucson, which erupted approximatly a million years ago creating what we know as the Catalina and Rincon ranges.

BIG MAC

Looking at the video I don't think I'm buying this one. The two "plumes" they talk about happened simultaneously and were miles apart. Not very likeley. If you look far to the south on the satellite video three or four more happen at the same time. I think this is just cloud formation in a large weather system sped up with time lapse to make it look like an eruption.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I thought the same thing as BigMac except that we have had a lot of seismic activity in the are this year. The desert area ans specifically Pinacate lay on the fault lines - so it makes sense that since we have had more than a few temblors that maybe stuff is making its way to the surface. The magma under Pinacate is less than 6 mile deep - it would take much to have it come to the top.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Agree with Big Mac - Each day of the past four, there was a nice cloud build up over Pinacante that sort of looked like a plume. Just moisture rising at the highest point and forming a small cloud. Could sorta maybe look like a plume, but we watched as driving and from out at sea. A cloud, nothing more.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I thought the same thing as BigMac except that we have had a lot of seismic activity in the are this year. The desert area ans specifically Pinacate lay on the fault lines - so it makes sense that since we have had more than a few temblors that maybe stuff is making its way to the surface. The magma under Pinacate is less than 6 mile deep - it would take much to have it come to the top.

San Andreas fault line Im pretty sure. Just the biggest one in North America, not that big of a deal or anything. The Pinicate is also apart of the Ring of Fire...

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
How many active volcanos are in Mexico although the link, part of wikipedia, consider Pinacate as an "active" volcano, all other links I found consider El Pinacate as a "dormant" volcano, however they say that the last eruption from it must have been not to long ago possibly a couple of hundred years since there are stories from the Papagoes, known as Tohono O'Odham now, of eruptions happening, also must remember that from Tucson all the way to Rocky Point is a volcanic area, where the biggest volcano was located in what it is known as the Tucson Mountains, to the west of Tucson, which erupted approximatly a million years ago creating what we know as the Catalina and Rincon ranges.
Dormant means asleep, asleep means ACTIVE

Dormant means asleep, asleep means ACTIVE
Popular classification of volcanoes

A popular way of classifying magmatic volcanoes is by their frequency of eruption, with those that erupt regularly called active, those that have erupted in historical times but are now quiet called dormant or inactive, and those that have not erupted in historical times called extinct. However, these popular classifications—extinct in particular—are practically meaningless to scientists. They use classifications which refer to a particular volcano's formative and eruptive processes and resulting shapes, which was explained above.

Active

There is no consensus among volcanologists on how to define an "active" volcano. The lifespan of a volcano can vary from months to several million years, making such a distinction sometimes meaningless when compared to the lifespans of humans or even civilizations. For example, many of Earth's volcanoes have erupted dozens of times in the past few thousand years but are not currently showing signs of eruption. Given the long lifespan of such volcanoes, they are very active. By human lifespans, however, they are not.

jerry

Joe if you have ever had any contact with Tohono people you will hear from the old guys these things have gone off. In stories Bill Hoy has run down and did the math on it seems in the early 1800's