Pit Bull Club in Penasco

Roberto

I've seen a group of people , each with a pit bull, gathering at the Malecon on several occasions. Last was Monday after dark, 15 or so crossed the road together.

someone should put all the owners of the dogs in a ring and let them go at it... I don't approve of the Micheal Vic Dog Training Academy...

B

bahiatrader

I went to a dog fight once back in the 60s. A lot of money changed hands. It was a bloody gruesome affair. I even owned a pit bull pup for a while. He was notably the dumbest dog I was ever around, but he was friendly. I gave him to a guy who liked him better than I did.

I even owned a pit bull pup for a while. He was notably the dumbest dog I was ever around, but he was friendly. I gave him to a guy who liked him better than I did.
that's just the opposite of my pit as far as smarts are concerned... he is probably the smartest dog I've ever owned, and I'll agree with you on the friendliness aspect... well at least towards humans...

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
that's just the opposite of my pit as far as smarts are concerned... he is probably the smartest dog I've ever owned, and I'll agree with you on the friendliness aspect... well at least towards humans...
Yea, mine is too. Although we don't know much about her. Not even how old she is. Maybe 7 or 8? She, being a California dog uprooted to Colorado, huddles up with my 2 furry Goldens for warmth, while Vicks used Goldens for bait. All about how they are raised...they are so loyal, they will fight for you, as in Vick, but just want to love and be loved.

A

azbeachboy

I saw a show on the rehabiltation of the Vic dogs, which can be used to argue that it is not the breed, but the owner. I have had 3 pit's in the last 30 years. These dogs were smart, very energetic, and devoted to their human. My current dog, Angel, was a stray that chose our home as her forever home about 8 yeas ago. We already had 3 dogs and she joined the pack with no problem. Those dogs have since died and Angel is alone. When we take her out, she gets along with some dogs and not with others- it is all in how the other dog approaches her. For example, my mom has a four pound Yorkie who decided to bite Angel on the lip. Angel opened her mouth and just held her down. We were all REALLY thankful that Angel had a better temperment than Daisy, the Yorkie.

Kenny

Pettey from our gang http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_TnLev_kWE
All about Pete!

Pete the Pup was a famous dog character in Hal Roach's Our Gang comedies (later known as The Little Rascals) during the 1920s and 1930s.

Otherwise known as "Pete, the Dog With the Ring Around His Eye", or simply "Petey", he was famous for having a circled eye that was added on by Hollywood make-up artist Max Factor and credited as an oddity in Ripley's Believe It or Not.

The original Pete (sired by Earl Tudor's "Black Jack") named Pal the Wonder Dog had a natural ring almost completely around his eye; dye was used to finish it off.

Pal first started out as "Tige" in the Buster Brown series in the 1920s, It was during this time that he obtained the circled eye, and when he was recruited to appear in the Our Gang comedies later that year, Hal Roach simply left it on, creating one of the most recognized dogs in film history.

Trainer and owner Lt. Harry Lucenay used one of Pal's offspring as Pete in the series after Pal passed away. This dog, named "Lucenay's Peter", was dual-registered as an AKC American Staffordshire Terrier and as a UKC American Pit Bull Terrier. Lucenay's Peter was whelped (born) September 6, 1929, and bred by A. A. Keller.

A few other dogs played Petey, but Lucenay's Peter was the most famous. After being fired from the Our Gang series in 1932, Harry Lucenay retired Peter to Atlantic City.

Pete became as recognizable and popular as the kids in the gang. Pal the Wonder Dog appeared in Our Gang comedies until 1930, and according to Our Gang member Jean Darling died mysteriously. Urban legend has it that Pal died after someone fed him meat laced with glass. This is completely unproven, and the conventional thinking is that Pal died of natural causes/old age.

Lucenay's Peter continued on and died of natural causes in 1946, two years after the Our Gang series ended.

Last edited:

jerry

Pit Bull owners all think theirs is the exception to the rule.After it bites the nephew in the face,eats the cat and punctures the mailmans ankle they tell you those incidents were the fault of the other party.The problem is when pits lose it the damage is over the top,when my dog loses it the damage is limited.

I don't think my pit is any exception to any rule... key word jerry is damage... damage is damage... be it over the top or limited... it's like saying "minor heart attack" like a heart attack is a minor problem...

as with any animal... if you're not intending to be a responsible pet owner then maybe you should look into stuffed animals...

If you get your Pit from a reliable breeder you should not have a problem. The real problem comes from prople that get their Pit from a creeps that breeds them to be "game". These same people will kill the "kirs". The crazier, the gamer, the better in the eyes of the Vics. Kir dog and game dog are traits that are concurrently bad and good in the dog fighting world. Pits can be lolyal, gental, and very lovable to both humans and other animals. I own two mutts. One I got as a pup from RP/PP.

A

azbeachboy

Kenny,
How mean is my be pit? She slept with you! Just kidding... Angel loves people, I might say a little to much, she thinks she is a lap dog.

Last edited by a moderator:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Chuck, all this time, I thought Angel was an over grown chihuahua with a horrible tendency to love people and hate sand, always fling it!!! :eek3:

Unfortunately, the pit bull has a bad rep...mainly because of the breeding...and also the "type" of persons that buy a pit (I'm generalizing here)...but look at the people you frequently see walking a pit bull around town....the "macho....sh$thead type".

I love dogs...have had several....and we tend to forget that they are animals when they become part of our families. I had a beautiful cocker spaniel....from when he was a pup....but something made it snap when he was 2 yrs. old....bit my 11 yr. old son, and my wife....without any provocation.....my wife was there when he bit my son, and I saw it happen when he bit my wife. He tried biting me too, but stopped himself before he broke skin (I think mainly because I had spent the most time with him).....but from everything we could find, it was a result of inbreeding....cuase the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him (after spending a bunch of $$$ on tests!).

Mark...yes there was damage...but it was minor compared to what it could have been if it was a pit, or a german shepherd, or an akita (I've got the scars from a friend's akita to prove it!!!).

B

bahiatrader

Incidentally, the pit bull pup I bought was bred for fighting. That's how I got the invitation to a highly illegal dog fight. I didn't feel really comfortable around the folks who were there and, as I said, it was totally greusome. I figured the brains had been bred out of my dog so he would be "dead game" (game to the death). I have since seen some well mannered pit bulls, but there will always be a stigma attached for me.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
You need to watch kids around any dog. Cockers have the highest bite rate of any other breed. A Golden once attacked one of my sons. A chihuahua bit my brother when he was little...small, nervous dogs are dangerous around little kids....my rescue pit bull, Princess, was tied to a tree and used for breeding her whole life. I have her by default because the city my son lives in bans them. She is a happy little dog that has shown no aggression whatsoever, but I still don't let the kids around her, or the Goldens, unattended.

Roberto

You need to watch kids around any dog. Cockers have the highest bite rate of any other breed. A Golden once attacked one of my sons. A chihuahua bit my brother when he was little...small, nervous dogs are dangerous around little kids....my rescue pit bull, Princess, was tied to a tree and used for breeding her whole life. I have her by default because the city my son lives in bans them. She is a happy little dog that has shown no aggression whatsoever, but I still don't let the kids around her, or the Goldens, unattended.
How true. A friend here just got ripped by a Pit Bull who was jealous because he was playing with another dog.

My cocker was a very gentle, loving dog....until something snapped! I may have gone overboard as a result, but I've sworn off pure breds...of any kind....mutts are what I stick to now!