Playa Dorada 5/11-5/13

OK, these are just small fry compared to all of you serious fishermen and women.

But we had a great time fishing from Playa Dorada (about 10 miles south of rocky point, north of the Mayan Palace). This is probably the worst place to fish that you could find, being basically an endless sandbar with no reef or other structure for at least 5 or 10 miles. But since I lacked time to go anywhere better and being there mainly for a family beach vacation, I made the best of it.

The kids and I caught nice-sized sand sharks (in excess of 24") using squid. We also caught what I think were some small sand bass and a couple Mexican pufferfish.

The two times I was able to get the kayak out through the chop near high tide I hooked up on some nice Corvina (two were about 24") on jointed rebel minnows. All were caught near the break. These fought like crazy and were a blast to catch in the kayak.
Not to mention the great weather in the mid-80s and perfect water temperatures. It was a great time for this desert rat. I appreciate all of the help I got off posts on this board.

Attachments

Sixty

Fishing from a kayak is a blast! The hard part is landing the fish and trying to stay upright!

Thanks for the report!

don

Way to go! I've tried a buddies kayak and spent more time in the water than out! If you ever down there again, try using pieces of anchovies instead of squid for corvina from the shore... Also, if you put your sinker at the end of the line, with your hooks above the sinker, tie a small float above that and you'll eliminate the guitarfish and rays.

I've tried a buddies kayak and spent more time in the water than out!
Yeah, it was pretty choppy and the Corvina were near the break. I only rolled it once and was glad I took the advice to leash my rods and equipment. Thanks for the tips on the chovies. Now I just need to get back down there.