Port Lobos?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
So, fuel is readily available in Lobos?

To clarify, NO THERE IS NOT READILY AVAILABLE GAS IN LOBOS

EDIT: If by readily available you mean a gas station. Yea Im sure you can find someone that will siphon some gas out of a drum in their front yard for the right price but I wouldnt count on that. Definitely bring gas with you. I have a 5 gallon race jug that I had from my motocross days that Ill start using...

Kenny

Well Known Member
Crap I completely forgot about the ice situation too!!! That was a little tense too IMO when a truck full of Mexicans pulls up and by truck full I mean literally like 16 Mexican males all wearing bandanas on their face and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM was staring at me. One of the guys gets out and hes just standing there talking to the driver about something. It was a little sketchy to say the least and this guy never went into the store it was weird and they all just kept staring at me. I was like well they are obviously waiting to kill this store owner or spray up the store and are waiting for the AMERICANOS to leave so there isnt any COLLATERAL damage. I mean thats how scary these guys looked. We iced up and left and took the short cut through the dirt road ( unfinished section of the new highway) and we drove past a cement making plant. I remember thinking ok now that makes sense, thats obviously why those guys were wearing bandanas they pry were working at the cement plant. At the time though I was scared as hell. Now the Y GRIEGA on the other hand I WAS NOT WANTED THERE and this wasnt my perception. I told Jose from Boo Bar about my experience at the Y GRIEGA and he confirmed that yes there are a lot of drugs that go through that town. It was a bit sketchy...
I don't know where to start with this but first there was not 16 in the truck, and the reason they had bandanna's on is because they were riding in the back of the truck coming in from the new road under construction, a dirt road! I thought it was very likely they were a work crew for the new road. They were buying Popsicles for crying out loud.LOL Second they were staring at you because unlike in the states they were not afraid to look at you using your walker. They were also wondering how in the hell you could drive your truck because you were still pretty new at using the walker, and still kind of shaky with it. Curious, they were curious and not afraid like people are in the states to look and see how this guy is going to do stuff. That's all it was Joe, the whole time, and at both places.

jerry

Well Known Member
also the Pemex in Libertad is 30 miles South and a good spot for lunch

Kenny you do know Sicarios like Popsicles too don't you? The seasonal squid harvesting rush brings in people from everywhere but they make more money than we do on a good day...

Kenny

Well Known Member
also the Pemex in Libertad is 30 miles South and a good spot for lunch

Kenny you do know Sicarios like Popsicles too don't you? The seasonal squid harvesting rush brings in people from everywhere but they make more money than we do on a good day...
Not when their working..LOL

azfish

Well Known Member
Because Im very good with intrapersonal communication and I could feel it. Every single mother f#CK3R there was staring at me NO JOKE. Im like Im sure Im not the first white boy they have seen. I definitely wasnt going to start speaking any spanish. A guy this white that speaks pretty good spanish means to them that I prolly work for the CIA... it was unreal, Ive never felt that way in MY LIFE!!!!!

Kenny is just down playing it!
Now I feel ya. I dont think we will be going that way any time soon.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Now I feel ya. I dont think we will be going that way any time soon.
Don't get scared off by Mex. Joe's experience...or paranoia.... :rofl:.....sorry Joe, I couldn't resist....and don't get pissy about it.... Maybe you just don't want anyone else discovering the place???? :stir:

I've been that way twice, and neither time did I feel threatened, or anything else...Ladyjeeper can attest to both trips.....

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I've been twice and there is nothing to be afraid of. I had no problems in La Ygriega either. No one stared at me and trust me, I am 6 foot tall and take up all the space I stand in.....Go to puerto lobos. You will love it!

Kenny

Well Known Member
Now I don't care if the fish or anyone else heads down that way or not, but I can tell you that I headed down that way looking for a new fishing hole soon after it was opened up as a free zone about what, eight years ago? My X wife and I (yes just the two of us) explored the area around Santo Tomas a couple of three years before I ever knew Jerry, and hit back roads looking for a way to the coast all throughout that area. Some of you might remember my post on our original forum about the little village "ejido" I went through way back then. I posted about how they had to put in dirt speed bumps because of the speeding ugly Americans. That's the same little village where Joe and I were getting ice years later for our fish on the way out of Jerry's, and yes, there's still ugly Ameicans :clown: down that way.:mrgreen:

Last edited:

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Thanks for posting this thread, and for the diving video. We went down on Saturday for snorkeling, and had a great time. We didn't see as much as you Seadweller, but we did see a lot of very large Sergeant Majors, star fish, one Sea of Cortez Angel fish, sting rays, and a 12" skinny fish with a blue and purple tail. The water was a little rough, so next time I might try snorkeling on the north side of the light house- don't know if that's as good. I think we were in front of Asprinkles house (beautiful porch and painted doors and windows), so we picked up a bunch of plastic bottles right by the steps. The view was spectacular looking out over the Sea of Cortez! It took 90 minutes to get down and longer to get up as they have an inspection set up and had to get out of the car.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Leigh, again thank you for letting us enjoy your perfect Mexican casa and walk down your steps. You must just pull up your chairs on your porch and thoroughly enjoy the magnificent sunsets. The view reminded me of something from California with the dark blue of the ocean and the sun sparkling on the water. Just to let you know, when we were in Sonoyta (El Serape eating tacos) we were talking to a couple from Santo Tomas, and they said the new Coastal Highway road opening up saved them 20 minutes off the ride.

Last edited:

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Forgot to add, the couple from Santo Tomas said they took a trip to Bird Island last weekend and saw a 50' whale shark! I remember someone posting a video of a whale shark off Sandy Beach but I don't think he was that big.