Port Lobos?

Kenny

If we're talking about the gas from a drum place in ST dont count on that being reliable because I couldnt find it and I barely made it back to las conchas on fumes!!! The two gallons Jerry siphoned out of something for me actually saved my ass!!! Next time down that way Ill make sure I have a full tank before heading south!!
Next time you might think about cutting back to the Y as I suggested..LOL

Cool video Mark!
Thanks posting it again. My Son and I just finished watching it, and we're definitely taking snorkel gear. Kenny, do you have any gear?
de nada Don... be sure to go out during low tide and you may want to wear a weight belt to get to the bottom faster... most of that video was shot in water between 20 to 30 feet... I wear 10 pounds and I think Rick was wearing the same... that octopus we were playing with was in a shell, when I picked up the shell I had to push myself up off the bottom to get back to the surface or leave the shell behind, I think I was weighted just enough... have fun I'm sure you will enjoy it...

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Being a Charter Captain must make you get really sick of guys that come down from Phoenix just to "Slay Fish" take a few...leave the rest
That was part of it, but it was also about getting tired of being blamed for the fact that it's too windy to have a safe day on the water; or feeling the pressure to produce biting fish when the fish are not there to cooperate, and then hearing about from the people "who planned this trip for months", or "drove all the way down there for nothing".... as if Ted is the master of fish, and weather.

I don't blame him one bit.

Kenny

Life is good no matter what. Take a quad and you have miles of beach to explore that is unbelieveable , Leigh
Though it seems we always did, my dad used to say, "Kenny, we might not be catching any fish, but the fishin's good". He was right.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
You will love Puerto Lobos! I've been there twice and will go back again! Just watch out for the outhouse with rusty nails.... LOL! Next time I'm peeing behind a panga......

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Next time you might think about cutting back to the Y as I suggested..LOL
I dont think so Kenny!!! I felt unwanted in that little town, just about every single person was staring me down like I was an alien!! Talk about an uneasy feeling, I dont think Ive ever felt like that before in Mexico. I pretty sure you remember what Im talking about because you kept asking me if I was ok and I kept saying yes but that was all lies. I wanted out of that little town so bad, I hadnt eaten in like 4 days and I told you i wasnt hungry just to get out of that situation!! No chance in hell I'd go back that way to get gas, INLAND = Narcotics... next time Ill just take an extra fuel jug!

jerry

naw Joe the town is cool now...the old Pemex next to the Pharmacy is run by friends of Rosy.You can buy gas in the ejido(I'll email you the map)
I dont think so Kenny!!! I felt unwanted in that little town, just about every single person was staring me down like I was an alien!! Talk about an uneasy feeling, I dont think Ive ever felt like that before in Mexico. I pretty sure you remember what Im talking about because you kept asking me if I was ok and I kept saying yes but that was all lies. I wanted out of that little town so bad, I hadnt eaten in like 4 days and I told you i wasnt hungry just to get out of that situation!! No chance in hell I'd go back that way to get gas, INLAND = Narcotics... next time Ill just take an extra fuel jug!

azfish

Why do you think everyone was looking at you?

Kenny

I'm not sure I'm with you there Joe. I'm not talking about where we bought the ice on the way out of Jerry's, but up on the road to Caborca. That would be La Y Griega on 37.

Last edited:

Kelney

If one has not ventured to Lobos and the surrounding areas, I would HIGHLY recommend that one buys gas in Rocky Point or Sonoita before venturing to Lobos.

Kenny

If one has not ventured to Lobos and the surrounding areas, I would HIGHLY recommend that one buys gas in Rocky Point or Sonoita before venturing to Lobos.
Yep, I always top off before heading down that way, and then sometimes again at La Y Griega and then doubling back to Santo Tomas. I put so many miles on the beach down there (ST) I need a full tank when I get there. Lobos is going to be a little trickier, but I won't be driving 28 mile round trips on the beach to the estuary either.

It's about 120 miles each way from the Mirador area.....depending on your vehicle you should have no problems with a fill up before you leave Penasco.....Eduardo with his big 15 passenger van full of people made it there and back with some riding around at Porto Lobos. If you don't take the new highway bypass near Santo Tomas (it wasn't open the last time a bunch of us went down in Feb.), there is a Pemex at the T by the Caborca turnoff (on the old stretch of road...sorry if the directions aren't the best).

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
That's La Y Griega, Joe. I fill up there on the way down and back since my Li'l Missy uses a lot of gas with those big tires.....

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I'm not sure I'm with you there Joe. I'm not talking about where we bought the ice on the way out of Jerry's, but up on the road to Caborca. That would be La Y Griega on 37.

Crap I completely forgot about the ice situation too!!! That was a little tense too IMO when a truck full of Mexicans pulls up and by truck full I mean literally like 16 Mexican males all wearing bandanas on their face and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM was staring at me. One of the guys gets out and hes just standing there talking to the driver about something. It was a little sketchy to say the least and this guy never went into the store it was weird and they all just kept staring at me. I was like well they are obviously waiting to kill this store owner or spray up the store and are waiting for the AMERICANOS to leave so there isnt any COLLATERAL damage. I mean thats how scary these guys looked. We iced up and left and took the short cut through the dirt road ( unfinished section of the new highway) and we drove past a cement making plant. I remember thinking ok now that makes sense, thats obviously why those guys were wearing bandanas they pry were working at the cement plant. At the time though I was scared as hell. Now the Y GRIEGA on the other hand I WAS NOT WANTED THERE and this wasnt my perception. I told Jose from Boo Bar about my experience at the Y GRIEGA and he confirmed that yes there are a lot of drugs that go through that town. It was a bit sketchy...

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Why do you think everyone was looking at you?

Because Im very good with intrapersonal communication and I could feel it. Every single mother f#CK3R there was staring at me NO JOKE. Im like Im sure Im not the first white boy they have seen. I definitely wasnt going to start speaking any spanish. A guy this white that speaks pretty good spanish means to them that I prolly work for the CIA... it was unreal, Ive never felt that way in MY LIFE!!!!!

Kenny is just down playing it!