Posting GPS coordinates for fishing spots.

YumaJames

Would others on this forum be for or against posting GPS coordinates of fishing spots around Rocky Point? Looking for feedback and opinions. I know, no one wants to give up their good fishing spots, but then again, its nice to have coordinates for new spots. I have all the GPS coordinates from the Super Grouper book for the fishing spots West/SW 16-30 miles out (including the sand dunes, a huge reef about 30 miles SW of RP). Guys from Safe Marina gave me coordinates for areas heading towards Bird Island, which include Caibo Hole, the Caballo area, and Salvo Pandejo. Hired Felipe as a guide a couple a couple years back when I first started fishing RP, and he gave me coordinates for the 40 mile markers, about 6 for the 50 area (including Hammer-Martillo), and a couple for areas west of the 50 area that are about 400 feet deep. I'm willing to share if I could get more GPS coordinates for fishing spots in the 50 area and for the Witch's Hat area. I've trolled those areas with the depth finder looking for new reefs, but you know how it is, that's time and gas consuming.

Would be willing to share publicly on this forum if others are, or privately via email.

dmcauley

Is that crickets I hear chirping......... Seriously , you have the main numbers and you just have to keep drifting around and marking the rocks, I gave you the witches hat last year and there are a lot of good rocks close. Felipe will happily give u a rock or two occasionally and if you get to know some of us at the marina you can always buddy boat, You should have caught halibut this trip but as it cools down it will get much better

audsley

I would be very much against it. Leave it to word of mouth. I don't mind sharing some of what little I know with others of my choosing, and I believe that's how most people are. But posting coordinates for anyone who gets a tip about this forum would surely bring a lot of ill feelings and eventually a possible disaster for the fishery. We already have enough threats to the SOC fishery without making it easy for people would might otherwise not even fish the SOC.

That said, I'm not sure how effective the opportunists would be in fishing the place out. After all, timing and technique are important too. But you could definitely count on finding flotillas in the best spots if you post them publicly. That alone does some damage.

sjthrush

I would not mind posting the coordinates. By the time we get them, believe me they have already circulated through the locals and the charter folks.

YumaJames

I'll go with the concensus, whether people feel its better to post em or not. A friend of mine gifted me the Super Grouper book earlier this year, and from reading that book I felt the author loved fishing RP and knew what he was doing. He shared his techniques, detailed descriptions and GPS coordinates of the reefs which are 16-30 miles W/SW out of RP. I fished those reefs a couple times this summer, and sincerely didn't see one boat on any of his reefs.

Other fishing areas make their fishing spots public. Take San Diego for instance, when you log onto their most popular fishing forum (SDfish.com) there's a detailed map showing all the GPS fishing spots in the SD area, and all the local fishing stores sell maps, guides, etc listing the local spots.

I would hope that sharing the GPS coordinates of fishing spots in RP on this forum would make fishing more fun for everyone by providing people with new spots to fish. Would it have an impact on the local fisheries, its a valid point, but overall I still believe sportfishing in Rocky Point has a minimal impact on the local fish stocks. Not saying I'm right, that's just my opinion.

I agree with sjthrush, most of the spots are commonly known already anyways. And just because you have coordinates of reefs that doesn't mean you're gonna catch fish anyways, fish are migratory, fishing techniques vary, etc.

dmcauley

Wally never gave up all his spots, just reef locations. When I knew him I didn't have a boat so I never asked. Stuart gave me 1 rock on the 51 and over the years I have discovered 30-40 other rocks, Patience will find a lot more fishfor you.
I'll go with the concensus, whether people feel its better to post em or not. A friend of mine gifted me the Super Grouper book earlier this year, and from reading that book I felt the author loved fishing RP and knew what he was doing. He shared his techniques, detailed descriptions and GPS coordinates of the reefs which are 16-30 miles W/SW out of RP. I fished those reefs a couple times this summer, and sincerely didn't see one boat on any of his reefs.

Other fishing areas make their fishing spots public. Take San Diego for instance, when you log onto their most popular fishing forum (SDfish.com) there's a detailed map showing all the GPS fishing spots in the SD area, and all the local fishing stores sell maps, guides, etc listing the local spots.

I would hope that sharing the GPS coordinates of fishing spots in RP on this forum would make fishing more fun for everyone by providing people with new spots to fish. Would it have an impact on the local fisheries, its a valid point, but overall I still believe sportfishing in Rocky Point has a minimal impact on the local fish stocks. Not saying I'm right, that's just my opinion.

I agree with sjthrush, most of the spots are commonly known already anyways. And just because you have coordinates of reefs that doesn't mean you're gonna catch fish anyways, fish are migratory, fishing techniques vary, etc.

YumaJames

Obviously most people are against making them public, and I'm OK with that, will go with the consensus. Thanks for everyone's input and feedback. Good fishing to everyone !!!

playaperro

El Pirata
Obviously most people are against making them public, and I'm OK with that, will go with the consensus. Thanks for everyone's input and feedback. Good fishing to everyone !!!
They been published on the forum many times, the forum is about information, good and not so good for others, If your going to spend 500 bucks to catch some fish better to be gifted with some nice sites. Happy send me those gps coordinates close to town again.

YumaJames

Playaperro, I've researched this forum and have found very few shared GPS fishing spots, when I started this thread I was wondering if people were interested in starting a comprehensive list. I'm more for starting a comprehensive list, but from the feedback so far most people are against it, I'm respectful and OK with that, I'll go with the consensus vote. If anyone wants to share privately let me know, I have coordinates for quite a few areas (see original thread) and am looking for more coordinates for the 50 area and Witch's hat area. Thanks.

Last edited:

jerry

North 30 44.525, West 113 07.068. Supposed to be points you can get to on kayak or little boat off Santo Tomas....catch lunch...go back to beach....drink beer and grill Cabrilla. Then repeat...
North 30 44.507, West 113 07.072

playaperro

El Pirata
North 30 44.525, West 113 07.068. Supposed to be points you can get to on kayak or little boat off Santo Tomas....catch lunch...go back to beach....drink beer and grill Cabrilla. Then repeat...
North 30 44.507, West 113 07.072
Ke pasa amigo? On the way into town there is billboard by the new bridge that has http://www.santotomas.com/ , is 3 story building the penthouse that you mention every now and then?

Last edited:

jerry

image.jpg
Ke pasa amigo? On the way into town there is billboard by the new bridge that has http://www.santotomas.com/ , is 3 story building the penthouse that you mention every now and then?
Bad picture taken when Joe was down....Yes my Alaska buddy owns the whole top floor.3 br.,4bath,furnished....never a rental.....he is looking for a half partner (185k) It would be great for a arizona person as he only would use in the winter......

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Posting them publicly, not so good. Most are not secret by any means; I have lists with many that go back years', most were originally logged by shrimp boat captains so as not to damage their trawls and nets. And some are... just coordinates where at some point in time, somebody may have a caught a fish. I have spent a lot of time trying new ones whenever I'm near one that's nearby. Sometimes there's fish, often there's nothing but a sandy bottom.

I'll always make several passes over a new set of coordinates from different directions and try to examine if there's any structure or drop-offs. When I first started fishing the Caballo years ago, there was one small bell shaped rock that I found. Setting up on it was a chore, but when you were on it, there always seemed to be nice fish. Took me many trips to realize just how big that reef is and some of its nuances. I now have several marks on that reef in different places that produce fish. Same out at the 51, the 52, etc.

The other key here is knowing which coordinates will be good on any given day. The seasons, the weather, the tide, the fish move around. Not every trip to the 51 fills the fish box. Same at the 43 or Witch's Hat. There is a reef near the Witch's Hat (Nose1) that loads up with small black tip sharks about the same time every year. Fishing it any other time is a generally a skunk. Just as Dan said about the halibut. They load up in areas around the 51 starting soon through a good part of winter. You may have to move around to find them, but when you do, the bite is on.

So, while the coordinates themselves are nice to have and are a good starting point, they are just that - a starting point. Setting up a good drift, watching the bottom and knowing when you're on sand or rock (especially on the deep reefs) pays off much better in finding the fish and getting them in the box.